VillaGoMarching

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Some footballers really are thick aren't they. Why didn't he delete old tweets? Why did he say it in the first place?

spacer.png

In fairness Alli was about 16 at the time. Probably didn't expect it since Mourinho was managing Real Madrid and he at MK Dons 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Predictably Zlatan is now being linked to spurs :)

Already got a massive egomaniac up front. No surprise Eriksen hasn't been the same at Spurs since they campaigned to give Kane that goal

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Already got a massive egomaniac up front. No surprise Eriksen hasn't been the same at Spurs since they campaigned to give Kane that goal

Bale is also linked fwiw :)

Journalists seem to think that Levy has now abandoned all that he stands for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

its been 15 years since he won the CL with porto, a lot of mileage since then, I think he's declined, lost a bit of his mojo, it all depends on how the players react to him (and no doubt the coaching team he sets up around him)

And it's been 15 years of Mourinho winning silverware since that victory with Porto.

Three years ago he won the FA cup and Europa League for United, continuing the trophy haul at every club since Porto.

Something that I find interesting is that Mourinho was considered for the Barcelona job before Pep was appointed.

Pep ticked 8 boxes, Mourinho ticked 6. The two missing for Jose were development of youth and public image that Barca wanted.

I think the latter is what Mourinho gets caught up in. I think that 5-0 loss to Barcelona had consequences that have shaped Mourinho's attitude and approach since.

I think you're right in saying that his relationship to his players will be telling, and also that he has lost his knack or mojo for inspiring confidence in his teams.

He had very sound training and preparation methodology as well as a good understanding for tactics and analysing opposition approaches. That's what made him special.

1 hour ago, sne said:

If the CL final and finishing in the top 4 every year, as well as a title race that they could've won in 2017, isn't enough, then surely Levy has a plan to make that extra step up.

I think there will certainly be conversations with Bale. Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me at all if Grealish remains on their radar.

Mostly because I think Mourinho will need players who have the talent but also love the game more than the hype and the self interest and promotion.

Players like Milner. Players who will put in a shift and commit to what Mourinho asks of them, rather than prima donna's who are bigger than the team.

If Mourinho is to make a world class team of Tottenham that will be vital.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

A very expensive and injury prone player who will have no resale value.

Plus the small matter of a £1bn stadium to pay for.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

He had very sound training and preparation methodology as well as a good understanding for tactics and analysing opposition approaches. That's what made him special.

he knew how to win the little games, win the big games at home and then not lose the big games away

slowly that seemed to become he knew how not to lose away, then he knew how not to lose big games at home....and then it became boring to watch

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

If the CL final and finishing in the top 4 every year, as well as a title race that they could've won in 2017, isn't enough, then surely Levy has a plan to make that extra step up.

I think there will certainly be conversations with Bale. Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me at all if Grealish remains on their radar.

Mostly because I think Mourinho will need players who have the talent but also love the game more than the hype and the self interest and promotion.

Players like Milner. Players who will put in a shift and commit to what Mourinho asks of them, rather than prima donna's who are bigger than the team.

If Mourinho is to make a world class team of Tottenham that will be vital.

Bale is on twice what Kane is currently earning. The wage structure at the club would implode.

same with Ibra, he's asking for £250k/w.

If either of them ends up signing against all odds then it will be impossible to sign other players for the type of money Levy has been offering before.

Bale's hardly known for the love of football anymore either :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Bale is on twice what Kane is currently earning. The wage structure at the club would implode.

If either of them ends up signing against all odds then it will be impossible to sign other players for the type of money Levy has been offering before.

Yeah I know what you are saying, and I think Bale's position is fairly clear in regards to wage demands.

Still, if Mourinho is to do better than Pochettino and take Spurs higher then they will need to either recruit or produce talent.

They won't close the gap and then go one further and beyond the levels of Liverpool and City without investing and implementing a system that can produce.

Levy might be stingy but he would know this. Imagine Spurs had Bale, Modric, Kane and Eriksen in their starting line-up?

Levy won't want to lose Kane and/or Eriksen at a time where they want to push on and win silverware.

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he knew how to win the little games, win the big games at home and then not lose the big games away

slowly that seemed to become he knew how not to lose away, then he knew how not to lose big games at home....and then it became boring to watch

Football has evolves, leagues are won by teams that play attacking football not just in top flights. Juventus probably being the exception. 

He can still grind out cup wins which I think is still good enough 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Yeah I know what you are saying, and I think Bale's position is fairly clear in regards to wage demands.

Still, if Mourinho is to do better than Pochettino and take Spurs higher then they will need to either recruit or produce talent.

They won't close the gap and then go one further and beyond the levels of Liverpool and City without investing and implementing a system that can produce.

Levy might be stingy but he would know this. Imagine Spurs had Bale, Modric, Kane and Eriksen in their starting line-up?

Levy won't want to lose Kane and/or Eriksen at a time where they want to push on and win silverware.

I think he'll be forced to break the wage structure, but at the same time they are hamstrung by the cost of the new stadium.

Mourinho would love to get Ibra in, and Bale could possibly lower his demands a bit to get away from Madrid. But one is really old and the other is always injured.

But who knows, not many would have placed Mourinho at Spurs on the second highest salary in England...

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In terms of trophy success he's probably top 5, if not top 3 in the last 30 years.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Or even keep their current players happy. Eriksen is on £65k/week. A figure Jack Grealish cleared with us while in the championship and Benteke was earning with us 5 years ago. Levy might be about to open a huge can of worms if he lets Mourinho start signing those players. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

There's probably reasonable business case for signing Ibra and paying him £10m for 1 season. He'll sell a lot of shirts and tickets, raise the clubs profile which will allow club to charge more for sponsorship. That's even before he's kicked a ball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

There's probably reasonable business case for signing Ibra and paying him £10m for 1 season. He'll sell a lot of shirts and tickets, raise the clubs profile which will allow club to charge more for sponsorship. That's even before he's kicked a ball.

Its a terrible idea, type of Lerner/Tom Fox signing. Zlatan is past it and would be a sub behind Kane yet paid more. Also think Spurs tickets sell out most weeks as it ia

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a terrible idea, type of Lerner/Tom Fox signing. Zlatan is past it and would be a sub behind Kane yet paid more. Also think Spurs tickets sell out most weeks as it ia

I'm trying to remember how many world superstars we signed?

I can't think of any comparison at all between signing Zlatan and what Villa were doing under Lerner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm trying to remember how many world superstars we signed?

I can't think of any comparison at all between signing Zlatan and what Villa were doing under Lerner.

More like a Agnelli/Juventus signing IMO

Elderly big name player signed on a free given big salary and big sign on bonus

Â