VillaGoMarching

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's all well and good him taking the high road (while giving himself a wage above that of his players, but I digress ...), but he's doing it in a climate where his competitors are not.  He's paying less than the market rate.  So it's not a level playing field.  Kyle Walker was the first of many.  His ex-teammates have just seen him win the league while earning probably triple what they're on...

...Spurs are at their peak at the moment.  The only way is down.  Unless they loosen the purse strings with this new stadium and start to pay their current players the market rate, and offer new players the same, then they'll lose what they have and replace it with a little worse each time.

There's no denying Daniel Levy deserves massive credit for getting them this far, but I think this is the point in their development where his M.O. stops being a help and starts being a hindrance.

Maybe so - maybe no.  Unless Man City (in England) are coming in for you, then you're solely leaving for money; and those are the characters that Spurs are quite happy to let go of (I think Kane would be the exception to the rule).  They buy younger talent up and blood them through the team so stop gaps are always filled.  Likewise, they're still able to attract players from overseas by paying sufficient amounts - and maybe bonuses too, as mentioned by Stevo - so they lose Kyle Walker for £50m, but bring in Serge Aurier and Lucas Moura from PSG for that money.  The stop gap (RWB) is filled and they've bought an additional player.

It'll be interesting to see if any club throws money at Spurs' players this summer.  I actually think Alderweireld would be absolutely fine to leave - very replaceable, even if he's a good defender.  Also noticed they bought Juan Foyth (for £10m) last summer as well; 20 year old Argentine centre back.  So, again, buying young, blood them through.  What would Alderweireld cost another club?  £30m, say?  They'll re-invest that amount with cash to spare, and the cycle will continue.

Again, as per original point, I don't understand people wanting this system to fail.  It's madness.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Maybe so - maybe no.  Unless Man City (in England) are coming in for you, then you're solely leaving for money; and those are the characters that Spurs are quite happy to let go of (I think Kane would be the exception to the rule).  They buy younger talent up and blood them through the team so stop gaps are always filled.  Likewise, they're still able to attract players from overseas by paying sufficient amounts - and maybe bonuses too, as mentioned by Stevo - so they lose Kyle Walker for £50m, but bring in Serge Aurier and Lucas Moura from PSG for that money.  The stop gap (RWB) is filled and they've bought an additional player.

It'll be interesting to see if any club throws money at Spurs' players this summer.  I actually think Alderweireld would be absolutely fine to leave - very replaceable, even if he's a good defender.  Also noticed they bought Juan Foyth (for £10m) last summer as well; 20 year old Argentine centre back.  So, again, buying young, blood them through.  What would Alderweireld cost another club?  £30m, say?  They'll re-invest that amount with cash to spare, and the cycle will continue.

Again, as per original point, I don't understand people wanting this system to fail.  It's madness.

I don't want it to fail.  And even 'fail' is a subjective term.  They're still loaded.  They're happy where they are.  They'll probably be just as happy a little lower down too (as in 6th).  So that's still not a fail.  But they won't progress past Liverpool, United or City.  They have Chelsea looking to go again, and I bet Arsenal's new man will want money. The Wenger days of treating the money as his own are gone.  And they all pay good wages so they'll probably be flashing their knickers in a bid to weaken a rival.

As for the Walker to Aurier example.  That's precisely my point.  They've replaced a player with one who is not as good, so they're a little bit worse in that area of the pitch than they were beforehand.  Aurier is a headcase.  He was a headcase at PSG and he has been a headcase at Spurs.  He's not even getting his game, so the guy (Trippier) who was backup to Walker is now first choice.   You continue that trend throughout their team whenever a player leaves, and you're left with a Spurs who are not as good as what is there now.  They'll be richer for sure, and knowing Spurs fans they'll laud Levy for winning the balance sheet Premier League.  But his model has reached its peak.  He's in with the proper big boys now.  The corner shop won't fly any more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I also think it's fairly well reported that the Spurs players' salaries are highly influenced by incentive bonuses.

So Kane's basic salary seems pretty low (relative to Footballer wages) but his goals/appearances/assists/england caps/whatever bonuses are really high and top the salary up quite significantly.

I agree that it's a good way to run a club. You might miss out on the odd superstar here and there but it ensures you get players in the door who want it.

I was going to say this too. I also imagine they get lump sums of "signing bonus" too which offsets some of the lower weekly pay.

Its an easy way to keep top players in the wage structure.

Edited by Genie

They need to make a real go of it this season. They should absolutely bring back Bale as the first step. They have first dibs and he's even intimated that he's open to a return. Get it the **** done Levy.

They're so reminiscent of Arsenal. They have the funds, with a new stadium paid off, but don't want to go all out because it's not the "right way" or whatever. You're going to lose all your players if you don't!

A Bale - Eriksen - Kane - Son front four would be unstoppable if only Levy would pull his finger out. A good midfield signing, especially if Dembele goes (hell, why not bring Modric back too before he goes to the MLS) and they can be genuine contenders. But it seems their ownership is content with just being up there without winning anything. Only a matter of time before the players get fed up.

Bale has significantly better options (even in England) than Spurs if he leaves Madrid. Spurs seem to be incapable of getting close to winning a trophy, at United he'd at least get that. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

the myth of Levy the transfer genius who alway wins on deals - Sissoko, Soldado and Lamela all around £30 mil each. Serge Aurier over £20 mil, Vincent Janssen £20 mil.

They've signed some absolute trash for big money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't want it to fail.  And even 'fail' is a subjective term.  They're still loaded.  They're happy where they are.  They'll probably be just as happy a little lower down too (as in 6th).  So that's still not a fail.  But they won't progress past Liverpool, United or City.  They have Chelsea looking to go again, and I bet Arsenal's new man will want money. The Wenger days of treating the money as his own are gone.  And they all pay good wages so they'll probably be flashing their knickers in a bid to weaken a rival.

As for the Walker to Aurier example.  That's precisely my point.  They've replaced a player with one who is not as good, so they're a little bit worse in that area of the pitch than they were beforehand.  Aurier is a headcase.  He was a headcase at PSG and he has been a headcase at Spurs.  He's not even getting his game, so the guy (Trippier) who was backup to Walker is now first choice.   You continue that trend throughout their team whenever a player leaves, and you're left with a Spurs who are not as good as what is there now.  They'll be richer for sure, and knowing Spurs fans they'll laud Levy for winning the balance sheet Premier League.  But his model has reached its peak.  He's in with the proper big boys now.  The corner shop won't fly any more.

You’re missing the point with the Aurier thing. Some transfers work - some don’t. The point is that they’ll recycle players with any money earned. They’ve lost Walker and still finished comfortably top 4 by spending elsewhere.

The posted above mentions Soldado not working - they sold him for £10m and Townsend for £12m and brought in Son for £22m. Job done, gap filled. Lost Mason and Bentaleb (£29m), brought in Sissoko (£30m). Gap filled (not worked, of course).

They’d have a big problem if Kane and Eriksen went, but everyone else is replaceable for the money they’d bring in IMO. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You’re missing the point with the Aurier thing. Some transfers work - some don’t. The point is that they’ll recycle players with any money earned. They’ve lost Walker and still finished comfortably top 4 by spending elsewhere.

The posted above mentions Soldado not working - they sold him for £10m and Townsend for £12m and brought in Son for £22m. Job done, gap filled. Lost Mason and Bentaleb (£29m), brought in Sissoko (£30m). Gap filled (not worked, of course).

They’d have a big problem if Kane and Eriksen went, but everyone else is replaceable for the money they’d bring in IMO. 

For their sake they'd better hope you're right.  I just have less faith in them replacing the star players with players of equal quality when they do start to leave.  Even the Walkers and Townsends of the world are one thing.  The Kanes, Eriksens & Allis are something else entirely.  But hey ho, I don't really care about them tbh.  Only insofar as winding up my mate :) 

• Like 1

Apparently Dembele has been fighting injuries for years now and playing in pain. He wants to go to China for a payday, but to also get away from such a demanding league and wrecking his body. He just wants to make his money and retire. 

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

Maybe so - maybe no.  Unless Man City (in England) are coming in for you, then you're solely leaving for money; and those are the characters that Spurs are quite happy to let go of (I think Kane would be the exception to the rule). 

I'd dispute the bit in bold.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U are all IMO bigger clubs than Spurs and all (based on total and recent history) more likely to win trophies so I could see players leaving for those clubs on that basis.

On 17/05/2018 at 08:59, Zatman said:

Danny Rose i dont get the hype

Never rated him, don’t understand how he got selected for the World Cup when he’s barely played all year and Bertrand has been a lot better

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 sided coin, he's bought them some very good players, often cheap and at the same time gets good value for his own players, their scouting is probably overrated, bought lots of shit and their squad isnt that good

this summer is hard to judge for spurs, not signing anyone will take the headlines, not shifting their shit players probably 2nd but what wont get the headlines is kane and eriksen havent really even been linked to anyone, no agents have been drum banging in an attempt to get big contracts for their players so thats been a success for them but the negative news of them losing 3/4 of their top youth players wont be a headline either

I wonder when bigger clubs come calling, like Arsenal (heh), and Spurs try to keep their players, will the press be accusing them of holding back said players careers and ruining dream moves? I very much doubt it. 

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Apparently spurs are now the only premier league club ever to not to buy a player in the summer transfer window since it came into effect

Strange something not right there. They will not be as successful as last year. Massive cockup considering its suppose to be a big exciting season with the new stadium.

What a flop 

Â