VillaGoMarching

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

They are still playing there this season so does that mean their capacity is reduced to below 30k?  Is the new stadium going to cover part of WHL?

Final season at White Hart Lane, this, will be played with 4k less
While Champions League games will be at a full capacity Wembley.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Yes, all the memories, highs - lows, life changing experiences, not just for players, managers and staff, but the fans who have frequented the place.  Stories of their great grandparents standing in stadium, standing on milk crates.  All the joy and the sorrow, euphoria and anger - all held up within those four soon-to-be demolished stands. 

Those memories are more or less made up in people's minds too. White Hart Lane has been rebuilt step by step before, it isn't really the same stands as anyones grandparents used to be in. I have an older colleague who consider himself Spurs, but don't really follow anything anymore. He was last at WHL in the 70s, he was surprised when I told him that it was the same stadium, he thought it already had been demolished and rebuilt as it's nothing like what he went to back then. 

The new stadium will be at the same spot, just bigger. There'll be more than enough crossover to Spurs history and the old White Hart Lane to satisfy. I have only excitement about it all.

To be honest I didn't know the new stadium was going to be on the same site.  I had just lazily assumed a new stadium involved a move.  In that sense I think, even though it'll be a new stadium in every aspect, being on the same site does keep it in some way 'hallowed'.  It's probably the best compromise you can make if a side needs to make a quantum leap from one stadium to another without losing absolutely everything that went before.

• Like 1

This picture, I believe it's from september as it was named so, show the outline of one of the corners of the new stadium next to the new one.
As you can imagine, the new pitch will go far into where the old stadium was. The end closest to the construction site is what is being taken down at the moment.

september whl.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rosenthal said:

The new stadium will be at the same spot, just bigger

This might be pedantry, or even wrong, but I'm sure I read that the new one will not be on exactly the same spot - more like at the back of the current one - so they're able to put the new one up, pretty much by just demolishing the one end of the current ground? Hence the loss of capacity for the season.

edit - just seen the photo and post above. Ignore me.

I won't go off topic but I've wondered whether our new owners might try and move us from Villa Park. Wyness tried to move both Everton and Aberdeen from their grounds and Xia himself is involved in urban planning, and building design.

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, useless said:

I won't go off topic but I've wondered whether our new owners might try and move us from Villa Park. Wyness tried to move both Everton and Aberdeen from their grounds and Xia himself is involved in urban planning, and building design.

Hope not.

There's no need. We have enough space to get a much bigger attendance where we are. There's no benefit to moving for us, imo.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hope not.

There's no need. We have enough space to get a much bigger attendance where we are. There's no benefit to moving for us, imo.

Prime position just off the M6 too. I enjoy seeing Villa Park most days on my way past on the M6. 

Theres no logical reason for us to move anywhere. The current site has plenty of development opportunity. 

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hope not.

That's the key thing. Other clubs have had to move because of the lack of opportunity to develop on their existing sites. I don't think that would be the case with us, should the need arise.

If we ever got huge I'd much MUCH rather be like Old Trafford and develop what we have than move to a new stadium. It actually makes me sad thinking about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rosenthal said:

Those memories are more or less made up in people's minds too. White Hart Lane has been rebuilt step by step before, it isn't really the same stands as anyones grandparents used to be in. I have an older colleague who consider himself Spurs, but don't really follow anything anymore. He was last at WHL in the 70s, he was surprised when I told him that it was the same stadium, he thought it already had been demolished and rebuilt as it's nothing like what he went to back then. 

Just like Trigger's broom...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, useless said:

Doubt it, we can't fill the current stadium

23 hours ago, BOF said:

Yep, as a purist and a more general 'fan' of the game I don't like to see that happen.  I know it's 'progress'.  Must be hard for some of their fans to see that, even knowing what's coming.  Spare a thought for Chelsea fans too :P Losing Three Point Lane.

Chelsea's record hasn't been that great there lately, 1 win in last 10 seasons I think.

Interesting way Spurs are doing it, still playing while ground is being knocked down before moving out next summer for a year. 

We had that with the Trinity years ago and it certainly feels different having one stand out of use, guess the same will happen with North Stand eventually. 

20 hours ago, BOF said:

To be honest I didn't know the new stadium was going to be on the same site.  I had just lazily assumed a new stadium involved a move.  In that sense I think, even though it'll be a new stadium in every aspect, being on the same site does keep it in some way 'hallowed'.  It's probably the best compromise you can make if a side needs to make a quantum leap from one stadium to another without losing absolutely everything that went before.

What held up their redevelopment was one business refusing to give up land...it was a Villa fan I think!

58 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea's record hasn't been that great there lately, 1 win in last 10 seasons I think.

Interesting way Spurs are doing it, still playing while ground is being knocked down before moving out next summer for a year. 

We had that with the Trinity years ago and it certainly feels different having one stand out of use, guess the same will happen with North Stand eventually. 

Remember when Arsenal did it at Highbury? They had a board with fans painted on it behind the goal.

• Like 1

On 15.7.2016 at 11:49, VillaChris said:

What held up their redevelopment was one business refusing to give up land...it was a Villa fan I think!

PIcture I posted above is old, you can see that business close to the left of the stadium. Demolished now.

Â