VillaGoMarching

On 4/22/2016 at 23:46, Zatman said:

I would actually give Kane Young Player of the Year and in most seasons he would probably win the double

Kane's been better, but the players have given their votes to Alli. Confirmed in the Spurs match program for tomorrow. 
That's why he's in the team of the year ahead of Özil, they tend to put Young Player into the side. Özil likely had more votes as he was a candidate for Player of the Year while Alli was not. Maybe Alli got the award as voters felt he was more in his breakthrough season than Kane. After all Hazard was Player of the Year last time around, but didn't win Young Player.

On 4/22/2016 at 21:46, VillaChris said:

Ali is crucial as he provides goals from central midfield, Dembele's a lovely player to watch but I've always felt he never really scores or assists enough for his ability, bit like Lamela although they both play the Poch system well.

I think Pochettino stumbled across this by accident as he started the season with Bentaleb and Mason in central midfield with Dier, far too defensive minded and couldn't get the ball quick enough forward hence why Spurs only won one of their first 6 league games (that will cost them the league) and Kane didn't score until end of September. 

Different roles in the team, Dembele isn't supposed to score and assist that many. Modric didn't neither. It's a plus if he does of course, but he is first of all the dominator. He balance the midfield with his positioning, never lose possession, out muscle any player he is up against, and keep us ticking.

Wouldn't say it was by accident, however it wasn't clear that Dembele would be this player last summer. We started the season unsure about whether he'd get into the side. He has always had his abilities, but Pochettino had to work a lot on him and change his mind set to bring out the best of him.
While I don't think it's surprising that a new young player like Alli were eased in to begin with. Didn't take him that many games, and it was clear from pre season that he'd play a big part. 

2 hours ago, rosenthal said:

Different roles in the team, Dembele isn't supposed to score and assist that many. Modric didn't neither. It's a plus if he does of course, but he is first of all the dominator. He balance the midfield with his positioning, never lose possession, out muscle any player he is up against, and keep us ticking.

Wouldn't say it was by accident, however it wasn't clear that Dembele would be this player last summer. We started the season unsure about whether he'd get into the side. He has always had his abilities, but Pochettino had to work a lot on him and change his mind set to bring out the best of him.
While I don't think it's surprising that a new young player like Alli were eased in to begin with. Didn't take him that many games, and it was clear from pre season that he'd play a big part. 

True but no chance you'd be challenging for title with Mason and Bentaleb as regulars, Ali is just on a different level to those two.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just hope Spurs can still rouse themselves for Newcastle last game, they still have a job to do for the good of this league. ;)

You got that message Rosenthal...I can see you peaking at the back Glaston....

hahaha agreed. I hope they check out the barcodes too.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Funny enough Arsenal could still catch them yet. 

Arsenal couldn't beat Sunderland last and have been pretty shaky so I don't see that happening.

The Media darlings Spuds F-up again.

oh dear

So Kane will get the golden boot, Eriksen PoY, Alli YPoY, MP Manager o Y, PL team o Y will be Spurs.

But LCFC PL Champions LMFAO

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

P.S. At least they'll finish above Arsenal

Damning indictment yesterday was the chant from Spurs fans : "We want you to stay.  We want you to staaay.  Arsene Wenger, we want you to stay".  It's a bad sign when a rival wants you to hang around :) 

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The Media darlings Spuds F-up again.

Probably they'll come 2nd this year. Which is the sort of F-up I'd happily take. But I think they'll carry on progressing. They'll have a big new ground,in a year or so, they have champions league football and they've got a good side. looks set good for them.

34 minutes ago, blandy said:

Probably they'll come 2nd this year. Which is the sort of F-up I'd happily take. But I think they'll carry on progressing. They'll have a big new ground,in a year or so, they have champions league football and they've got a good side. looks set good for them.

Of course and I think Spurs have a very good young side but this season was there best chance because the competition will be even stiffer next year with Pep at Man City, Liverpool and Klopp, Man U have a very exciting young strike force. Not sure about Chelsea as a lot of their players are over the hill.

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

...Spurs have a very good young side but this season was there best chance because the competition will be even stiffer next year with Pep at Man City, Liverpool and Klopp, Man U have a very exciting young strike force. Not sure about Chelsea as a lot of their players are over the hill.

I wonder about some of that Paul. I agree this season was a really good chance for them, and tbh they could still do it, so they'll not miss by much. I think next season might actually be similar to this in that Pep, good as he is is taking over not a team that is brilliant already, but one that is in need of a fair chunk of rebuilding, in a league with a different style to anywhere else. I don't think City will win the league next year. Man U won't either. Liverpool ought to do better, and I agree on Chelsea. God knows what Arsenal will do, but they won't win it either - so it'll still be open, and Spurs will be better than this year (perhaps), though the Champions League may distract them.

The league's got more interesting just as we've left it for the foreseeable future. :(

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think next season might actually be similar to this in that Pep, good as he is is taking over not a team that is brilliant already, but one that is in need of a fair chunk of rebuilding, in a league with a different style to anywhere else. I don't think City will win the league next year. Man U won't either. Liverpool ought to do better, and I agree on Chelsea. God knows what Arsenal will do, but they won't win it either - so it'll still be open, and Spurs will be better than this year (perhaps), though the Champions League may distract them.

You forgot to mention Leicester ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

I wonder about some of that Paul. I agree this season was a really good chance for them, and tbh they could still do it, so they'll not miss by much. I think next season might actually be similar to this in that Pep, good as he is is taking over not a team that is brilliant already, but one that is in need of a fair chunk of rebuilding, in a league with a different style to anywhere else. I don't think City will win the league next year. Man U won't either. Liverpool ought to do better, and I agree on Chelsea. God knows what Arsenal will do, but they won't win it either - so it'll still be open, and Spurs will be better than this year (perhaps), though the Champions League may distract them.

The league's got more interesting just as we've left it for the foreseeable future. :(

I think the likelyhood is that most of the big boys will be better.  They've been embarrassed by a brilliant Leicester this season and they will throw money at making sure that doesn't happen again.  Some of the money will stick, some won't.  But I think there's a case for all bar Arsenal significantly improving next year.

Chelsea have already improved since oustsing Mourinho and that's before buying a single player.  Roman will spend big and they'll be back in or very close to top 4.

City will enter a financial cheat mode and I wouldn't be surprised to see Pep bring in whoever he wants apart from Barca's big 3 and Real's big 1.  I wouldn't even rule out Pep going for one of Barca's big 3 tbh.  I expect it'll be pure fantasy football transfer market from them next season.

United will have Mourinho.  His first seasons tend to be very good and I expect him to have an immediate impact.

Klopp already has Liverpool getting pretty good results with what is a terribly imbalanced Rodgers squad.  Given a summer to put his own stamp on them I do wonder just how good they can be.

And to bring it back on topic.  Spurs' difficulty is twofold.  The vultures will be circling for their stars. Daniel Levy may extract top dollar but it may be hard to hold on to the likes of Kane and Alli if someone like Mourinho decides they're the solution.  The second difficulty is financing their stadium.  Getting over £100m from the sale of 2 players might make too much financial sense in the long run for Spurs.  The one thing in their favour is that they're very attractive to players wanting to join the Premier League.  What with the London factor amongst other things.  It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their competitiveness next season to the same extent.

As for Leicester ... I think Mahrez is gone.  Kante is gone.  Vardy may or may not be gone.  They won't have the squad to fight on 2 fronts.  Probably not even on one front.  I expect they'll make a half-hearted attempt at both the CL and the Premier League so as not to be a car crash in either, and I expect they'll be around midtable next season.  Which is no disgrace.  No-one can take this season away from them.

Â