VillaGoMarching

5 hours ago, Rino8 said:

I think Spurs are the easier team to be finishing above here, from Leeds perspective anyway. I think Everton will keep doing enough to not be caught by either of us, but Spurs are standing still and look like they have nothing to play for. All the games might be catching up with them too

We have a real mental block v Spurs so from our perspective we'll probably roll over to them yet again and they also have Southampton and Sheffield United at home. Think they'll win tonight so that will take them to the low 60s.

Everton however we took 4 points off last season so no reason why couldn't again and they also have aways to West Ham, Arsenal and Man. City which they could all easily lose so don't think they'll be within 5 points of Spurs by end of the season so of the chasing pack for us and yourselves they look most vulnerable to catch in top 8 imo.

It's already bad enough for us fans when you're a team battling relegation playing turgid defensive football and playing for draws as it's ultimately a means to an end, but imagine how soul crushing it is when you're supposed to be fighting for top 4 and are within striking distance? 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's already bad enough for us fans when you're a team battling relegation playing turgid defensive football and playing for draws as it's ultimately a means to an end, but imagine how soul crushing it is when you're supposed to be fighting for top 4 and are within striking distance? 

Sounds like us with MON 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sounds like us with MON 

Were we defensive or just one dimensional? We always looked to counter even when we sat back. It was our style, and ultimately why we missed out. Today all of the pundits were just baffled at Spurs lack of ambition. 

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Were we defensive or just one dimensional? We always looked to counter even when we sat back. It was our style, and ultimately why we missed out. Today all of the pundits were just baffled at Spurs lack of ambition. 

We were very defensive at times as well, we had Young and Gabbys pace so it looked like we were a dynamic and exciting team. I remember we played Spurs in a 6 pointer and we sat back the entire game it was dire

• Like 2

Good... Im happy they are going down the shitter... Especially after thier fans had the temerity to dream they would win the league because they were top in November...

I'm over the moon that they have haemmoraged cash on a stadium that they havent been able to have fans in, on Bale who has been shite, and on sacking Pochettino when he got the best out of them that they had had in years...

Its really entertaining watching them fail

49 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Kane might have played his last game for Spurs I guess. Obviously depends on the extent of the injury.

Would not trust Mourinho with that money.

He would probably buy Lukaku back for 200 mil

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I would say just one dimensional. I always remember Martin Samuel's quote on the MON team in that it represented  counterattacking chaos on toast.

We were set up to do far better away than at home. Those countless home draws when we were expected to have the possession cost us top 4.

MON had us set up well in a 4-4-2 traditional way (which was already going out of fashion) with good crossing and set pieces but I think we  just lacked that bit of magic to make us a really great side.

I think it was sumed up in in January 2009 when we were in pole position to get 4th. Arsenal brought in Arshavin and we brought in Heskey.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would say just one dimensional. I always remember Martin Samuel's quote on the MON team in that it represented  counterattacking chaos on toast.

We were set up to do far better away than at home. Those countless home draws when we were expected to have the possession cost us top 4.

MON had us set up well in a 4-4-2 traditional way (which was already going out of fashion) with good crossing and set pieces but I think we  just lacked that bit of magic to make us a really great side.

I think it was sumed up in in January 2009 when we were in pole position to get 4th. Arsenal brought in Arshavin and we brought in Heskey.

We were also linked to Suarez for £12m in that window too.

Heskey scored on his debut, then quickly reverted to type.

At the time it was heartbreaking. Hopefully we can get back to that level of heartbreak sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We were also linked to Suarez for £12m in that window too.

Heskey scored on his debut, then quickly reverted to type.

At the time it was heartbreaking. Hopefully we can get back to that level of heartbreak sooner rather than later.

I dug out my Villa-Ajax programme a while back and was surprised to see that Suarez played. Our last great European night.

Anyway back to Spurs I suppose they must fancy  their chances with City losing today and De Bruyne maybe being injured.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I dug out my Villa-Ajax programme a while back and was surprised to see that Suarez played. Our last great European night.

Anyway back to Spurs I suppose they must fancy  their chances with City losing today and De Bruyne maybe being injured.

Was all about huntelaar from what I remember, was an incredible night 

The inter friendly was one for the big names, they went more or less full strength

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was all about huntelaar from what I remember, was an incredible night 

The inter friendly was one for the big names, they went more or less full strength

And the physio in a suit! 36,000 for  a friendly. That was peak Lerner popularity. Good times.

I will tie this back to the thread as I think thats the last time my old man went to Villa Park and he is a Spurs fan,albeit in a bit of  a half-hearted way nowadays.

He went to watch Spurs the night they won the league and was also at the World Cup Final. I think every game after that  is a bit meh for him.

Doesn't like Mourinho not Spursy enough for him.

Edited by The Fun Factory

3 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Good... Im happy they are going down the shitter... Especially after thier fans had the temerity to dream they would win the league because they were top in November...

I'm over the moon that they have haemmoraged cash on a stadium that they havent been able to have fans in, on Bale who has been shite, and on sacking Pochettino when he got the best out of them that they had had in years...

Its really entertaining watching them fail

I never understood how when we were outperforming them in the league their revenue etc was miles ahead of ours 

Â