Pay by mobile

Dodgyknees

Find myself in the strange position where I am struggling before the end of the month and have a birthday present to buy.

I've seen sites in the past (Green Man Gaming I think) where they can accept payment by mobile phone, are there any other sites where this can be done?

Been a f*****g hard month :(

All that I can say is that I can feel your pain

its just not a strange position for me to find myself in, every month I end up hitting my credit card just to survive, I'm determined to sort myself out but then I have moments where I think '**** it I need to have something to enjoy'

That is why I have just agreed to work around 40 hours in just under 4 days, I needz the money.

I originally said 'I'll do all the overtime you can throw at me' because I wanted to save for a new banjo, now I'm thinking I could use it to pay a load off my credit cards (which are getting higher and higher, I only owe just over a grand so it aint that bad but it could be a hell of a lot better)

my advice to you would be to explain your situation to whoever the Bday present is for and tell them you will get them one when you can afford it, to be honest I often have to do that and if the person expects you to cripple yourself and get yourself into debt just to get them a present for a pissy birthday then they dont deserve **** all from ya

• Like 1

Been working 7 days a week, no holiday for more than a year and its all because of the cost of where I live. I'm being interviewed for a course next month and if I get on it, I will move to the mainland.

Paying £550 for a one bed flat ATM, travel is also expensive with no trains where I am.

But its a beautiful place too.. Win/lose

I'd sooner get a no interest for x months credit card and use that. Then you've got time to pay it back without interest.

Just have some discipline with it. You odn't want to run up a shit load of money and then have to pay it all back.

I've never heard of this pay by mobile business but it sounds dodgy as ****.

I used to say I would never get a credit card but since living on my own it became a bit of a necessity for the first few months whilst I was finding my feet (had to find a deposit, massive gas and electric bill, first month rent up front, stuff like that) then I was unlucky that there were some things that I wasn't quite in a position to pay for but I wasn't willing to miss (stone roses in Manchester, spiritualized and me mates birthday in Newcastle, boxing in London) they were the sort of things that I couldn't just say "ah well I'll do it next time" so I shoved that on my card as well

Still paying them off but it doesn't bother me because it was all worthwhile.

Now I just use it at the end of the month when needed then I pay it off on pay day

I struggle to see what advantage paying by credit offers over paying upfront. If I had the option to purchase something with actual money rather than borrowed money I would do it the vast majority of the time.

There are exceptions of course, some places only accept credit cards, sometimes banks offer discounts if you pay by credit. But if those don't apply, I don't see why I shouldn't pay by cash or use a debit card to pay for my new pair of shoes or new furniture or whatever.

I struggle to see what advantage paying by credit offers over paying upfront. If I had the option to purchase something with actual money rather than borrowed money I would do it the vast majority of the time.

Well if you don't physically HAVE the money up front, like dodgyknees hasn't, then the advantage of credit is that you'll actually be able to buy what it is that you want, rather than go without.

And as I said, if you've got interest free credit you won't even be paying for the privilege.

There are other advantages too. Improving your credit rating and, depending on your card, perks like airmiles and stuff.

Well if you don't physically HAVE the money up front, like dodgyknees hasn't, then the advantage of credit is that you'll actually be able to buy what it is that you want, rather than go without.

True. Big risk though.

True. Big risk though.

Only if you're a prat and make no effort/plan to pay the money back. 

Credit/debt is not "bad" as long as you manage it effectively and make provision to manage it. 

In dodgyknees situation I would be careful simply because if money is tight, adding the additional burden of the minimum repayment to the monthly bills will not make the situation better in the long term. 

True. Big risk though.

Not really, as long as you're disciplined. If you just run up a huge credit card bill then obviously you'll struggle to pay it back.

But to be honest, with balance transfers, you could just keep transferring it from card to card forever. As long as you're meeting the minimum payments every month then you're ok.

It's exactly what I did when I bought my house. I needed to decorate but had absolutely no money. Got a no interest on purchases for 12 months credit card, popped a couple of grand on it and then transferred it to another card when the period ran out. So I'm gradually paying it off whilst paying no interest.

Without that I wouldn't have been able to decorate my house, meaning I'd never have been able to get a lodger, meaning I'd never have been able to save any money, meaning I'd never have been able to decorate my house etc etc

Ill managed credit is dangerous. As long as you're sensible you're ok

In dodgyknees situation I would be careful simply because if money is tight, adding the additional burden of the minimum repayment to the monthly bills will not make the situation better in the long term. 

Absolutely, especially if the temptation is there to add more on your credit cards. It could get out of hand.

But I still think it's a better solution than this pay by mobile thing. Sounds like that would be expensive!

Alternatively, I'll lend you the money. Double Bubble. 2 weeks.

Ill managed credit is dangerous. As long as you're sensible you're ok

Absolutely. But people have a tendency to overrate themselves. Smarter, more prudent than they really are. Don't they?

Read it somewhere anyway.

I use my credit card all the time. Fill it up then clear it off. There are a few good reasons for doing this such as improving my "average" credit score on the off chance I might want to invest in something beyond my means one day (like a house say), the security is much higher and there's also the flexibility.

I too was burned by an ex. Well kind of, I burned myself but it was for her benefit. It'll never happen again, making mistakes and learning from them is all part of life.

If it does go tits up and I'm saddled with a grand of debt I can't afford to pay? Pffft, it won't be worth their time hunting me down.

That's just personal debt. Try running a business without credit (hint - you can't).

Credit cards offer better protection than debit cards when purchasing goods.

All my spend goes on one of my credit cards with the balance cleared every month. As long as you are sensible and disciplined then they are a great tool. 

Â