Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Missed the second half tonight because I had to play football.

Our game finished no more than 10 minutes after the Villa game finished. I got straight in the car and turned on the radio to hear some reaction.

Talksport were talking about Arsenal.

5 Live were talking to harry Redknapp about QPR.

What the fudge?

Even if you've only remembered someone's birthday because of facebook, always send them an SMS. It means a lot more. This obviously only refers to people you give a shit about :)

I actually always do that.

Or a google chat for the people I work with.

Facebook birthday messages mean nothing

Why? What's the difference between a text message, a FB message, or even a physical card for that matter (other than the card wil cost you some money)?

I'm personally not one for sending cards, especially if I'm going to see the person F2F, but if I'm not, then I don't see why a FB post is any better or worse than a text message. In fact, you can write more in a FB post ....

Edited by Jon

Just think it's less personal.

Facebook tells you it's someone's birthday and encourages you to post on their wall, along with a load of people who probably barely know the person.

There's nothing wrong with it, I just think it means less than a text message or a phonecall, or a card or whatever.

On a completely different note.

I've spent the last 2 months thinking my Sky TV "on demand" stuff wasn't working properly.

Realised last night it's because I'd taken the ethernet cable out to use on the PS3.

Idiot.

• Like 1

Even if you've only remembered someone's birthday because of facebook, always send them an SMS. It means a lot more. This obviously only refers to people you give a shit about :)

I actually always do that.

Or a google chat for the people I work with.

Facebook birthday messages mean nothing

Why? What's the difference between a text message, a FB message, or even a physical card for that matter (other than the card wil cost you some money)?

I'm personally not one for sending cards, especially if I'm going to see the person F2F, but if I'm not, then I don't see why a FB post is any better or worse than a text message. In fact, you can write more in a FB post ....

I'm with Jon  .... Social media is the new SMS ... I can remember people getting phones and saying why would I ever want to text anyone and FB / social media  has sorta carried that one on ( though must admit I still don't get the point of twitter)

( OT but happily I made a killing on Logica shares way back as I could see a reason why people would text so took a punt on them ... Logica used to get royalties on every text message sent :) )

I send birthday cards to my wife , Mum and Dad , the kids and the cat .. everybody else gets a text or a FB message or a phone call depending on where the fit in my social ladder

Edited by tonyh29

I'd add Birthday cards to the thread, actually.  Overpriced, saccharine nonsense.  If I care enough to get someone a present, instead of wasting £££s on a card I'd rather just get them a better present.  

Possible exceptions; hand-made cards, and that card that says "Happy Birthday, c##t" on the front.

Edited by GarethRDR

Know what you mean about cards, they are kinda pointless, especially for people in your immediate family whom you see every day anyway.

The exception is cards I get for my missus, where I tend to get her 'arty' ones (old art deco advertising, etc.) that she frames and puts on the wall. But that's all about the actual illustration, rather than the message.

Birthday cards have to be the most overpriced products on this planet. They make a litre of petrol at £1.40 look a good deal.

Even the supermarkets can charge £3-£4 for a bog standard card. Utter rip off.

Cards are a scam.

Here's my tip.

If you need to buy a card for anything, head straight for the blank cards, i.e. the bog standard ones with a picture on the front of a dog or a flower or something like that, and nothing written inside.

For birthdays it doesn't matter what picture you choose, for other things you might have to make a judgement call (i.e. don't buy a card with a picture of a happy dog on the front for a bereavement)

Then just write your own message inside. It doesn't even have to be clever. Just

"To Joe Bloggs,

happy birthday, have a great day!

from John Smith"

I guarantee whoever you give it to will think your card is 10 times more thoughtful than any of the ones with "jokes" on the front or special pre written greetings card messages. And it'll probably cost you 99p. Whereas a big elaborate one with a joke on the front and a pop up grey bear holding a fricking pillow shaped like a heart inside will probably cost you £4

• Like 1

Cards are a scam.

Here's my tip.

If you need to buy a card for anything, head straight for the blank cards, i.e. the bog standard ones with a picture on the front of a dog or a flower or something like that, and nothing written inside.

For birthdays it doesn't matter what picture you choose, for other things you might have to make a judgement call (i.e. don't buy a card with a picture of a happy dog on the front for a bereavement)

Then just write your own message inside. It doesn't even have to be clever. Just

"To Joe Bloggs,

from John Smith"

I guarantee whoever you give it to will think your card is 10 times more thoughtful than any of the ones with "jokes" on the front or special pre written greetings card messages. And it'll probably cost you 99p. Whereas a big elaborate one with a joke on the front and a pop up grey bear holding a fricking pillow shaped like a heart inside will probably cost you £4

Yeh but what about the ones that play music when you open them, how do you replicate that huh HUH

• Like 2

Cards are a scam.

Here's my tip.

"To Joe Bloggs,

from John Smith"

This guy knows his stuff

tumblr_m3jvytTE1C1qbx51ho1_250.gif

Making 2 transfers and sacrificing 4pts BEFORE Sessegnon gets suspended on MNF :angry: Rookie error. S'OK though, I've a 'double gamer' coming off the bench for him.

Being asked to correct your boss's work, then having to explain to them in Janet & John terms why you've made the various amendments.

I'm a lawyer, and when your boss is getting the law wrong, it's pretty worrying.

he's probably just out of practise .... it's not like when you boss is a gynaecologist and likes to keep his hand in

Edited by tonyh29

Cards are a scam.

Here's my tip.

"To Joe Bloggs,

from John Smith"

If I got a blank card for my birthday with some random picture on the front and nothing that's specific to a birthday, I'd assume that it's been pulled from a stock of 'cards for all random occasions' in someones drawer.

You'd be better off holding a stock of 1 of each kind. Birthday, Get well soon, Bereavement, etc and just replenshing when you use one.

Â