Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

My sister is having some awful tattoo of both of our gramps. One of them looks a bit like a young Peter Mandelson and the other looks scarily like Nick Clegg, both in cartoon form. Nothing like either of them.

Awful. Truly awful.

The frivolity with which the term "legend" is applied to people, and footballers in particular

Isn't the context technically wrong anyway? A legend is a set of actions or events making a story rather than a being.

that I can remember events , conversations , drunken shenanigans etc from over the past 30 years but when I make someone a cup of coffee I can't even get from my office to the kitchen without forgetting if they said they wanted sugar or not

I have a theory that there's no such thing as forgetfullness. People simply aren't paying attention when the information is being written to their brain, i.e. their minds are elsewhere.

But that would imply that you could never forget anything that you really concentrated on learning. The stuff you memorised at school - and successfully recalled in the exams - will be much easier to remember (even now) than trivial day-to-day stuff. Don't think so.

Yeah I'm in MIke's boat.

There's plenty of stuff that I concentrated on 100% while I was learning it but I can't remember it now.

Accountancy modules are a prime example, worryingly.

doesn't short term memory got processed by the left part of the brain or something ..presumably at some point it's gets "moved" to another part of the brain (right ? ) where you can then recall it .. assuming your left side of the brain hasn't forgotten what it was you were supposed to be remembering

Perhaps I should be more clear, i'm talking about only very short term memory.

I am forever losing my keys and forgetting where I put things, and I am convinced it's because my brain is too busy worrying about other stuff that it never actually registers some of the smaller events in my life, the ones which don't really involve much thinking.

Perhaps I should be more clear, i'm talking about only very short term memory.

I am forever losing my keys and forgetting where I put things, and I am convinced it's because my brain is too busy worrying about other stuff that it never actually registers some of the smaller events in my life, the ones which don't really involve much thinking.

Yeah, I get you. That's where routine comes in. I never (OK, almost never) lose my keys, because they always go in the right hand pocket of my coat/jacket. I don't think about it, I just put them there on autopilot. I never put them down on a table, or anything like that.

The missus, on the other hand, leaves her keys all over the place, and can never find them.

OCD can be very handy. :)

Again, I'm in Mike's boat :)

I get annoyed when things aren't kept in the same place. Keys, left hand coat pocket, always. Or left hand trouser pocket if I'm not wearing a coat.

If for whateve reason they'r ein a different pocket, then I am guaranteed to have a panic moment where I think I've lost them because they're not where they usually are.

Again, I'm in Mike's boat :)

I get annoyed when things aren't kept in the same place. Keys, left hand coat pocket, always. Or left hand trouser pocket if I'm not wearing a coat.

If for whatever reason they're in a different pocket, then I am guaranteed to have a panic moment where I think I've lost them because they're not where they usually are.

same here , When i get onto something crowded like a tube for example I always move my wallet from my back pocket into my front pocket or inside my jacket if I'm wearing one .. then as i leave the tube my hand automatically goes to my back pocket and I have that brief moment of panic that I've lost my wallet

Â