Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

but hey that's the way my brain works :)

So your brain takes the most extreme example possible and attributes those conclusions to every other scenario. Fairy nuff. A gust of wind blowing you off your bike and hitting your head off the ground might have a helmet save your life though. Nowt to do with awareness. It'd be silly to die as needlessly as that and it (or something akin to that) is far more likely to happen.

Europe contemplated not recognising our licence at one point because as a general rule most of us (them) are atrocious.

surely you'd just show it to them a second time and they would be happy to recognise it

On the subject of driving in Ireland, I'm always baffled at how kids (at least where I go and stay) are allowed to drive on a provisional license.

Technically they're not, but they're never pulled for it.

So your brain takes the most extreme example possible and attributes those conclusions to every other scenario. Fairy nuff. A gust of wind blowing you off your bike and hitting your head off the ground might have a helmet save your life though. Nowt to do with awareness. It'd be silly to die as needlessly as that and it (or something akin to that) is far more likely to happen.

My brother lost his girlfriend around 10 years ago , she went to the toilet in a pub tripped on the stairs ,fell and never regained conciousness and died due to excess brain swelling .. maybe people should wear crash helmets in pubs as well ? such a tragic accident and it just makes me feel that when your time is up , your time is up and thus no crash helmet is going to convince me otherwise I'm afraid , though I of course understand perfectly what you are all trying to say

That's not to say I go all Jeff Bridges and think I'm immortal , when I was in Syria the other year I looked at trying to get into Iraq and decided the risk wasn't worth it ( the border crossing being nicknamed sniper alley being one factor ) so went to Lebanon instead ... I may be foolhardy but I'm not totally stupid .....

My brother lost his girlfriend around 10 years ago , she went to the toilet in a pub tripped on the stairs , never regained conciousness and died .. maybe people should wear crash helmets in pubs as well ? such a tragic accident and it just makes me feel that when your time is up , your time is up and thus no crash helmet is going to convince me otherwise I'm afraid , though I of course understand perfectly what you are all trying to say

Sorry to hear it and yes tragic accidents will happen. But I do believe you can significantly increase your chances when doing something as relatively dangerous as cycling on an open road.

On the subject of driving in Ireland, I'm always baffled at how kids (at least where I go and stay) are allowed to drive on a provisional license.

Technically they're not, but they're never pulled for it.

It changed recently. By that I mean they brought in penalty points for the offence, which made it financially profitable for the cops to enforce the rule that was (as you say) already in place. Although unsurprisingly they still don't enforce it. In a way that is hard to explain on a forum, that's kind of why it all 'works' over here. Everything's a bit more relaxed :) Sometimes it's too relaxed. But I'll always take that over, say, the Austrian approach to enforcement.

Sorry to hear it and yes tragic accidents will happen. But I do believe you can increase your chances when doing something as relatively dangerous as cycling on an open road.

I'm 42 , I've cycled on open roads since i was maybe 10 ... so in 32 years I've had no accidents ... thus I wouldn't describe it as relatively dangerous

ok , it's more of my flawed logic again ...

I appreciate there are more women drivers on the roads now thus the roads are becoming more dangerous than they previously were , but even so if a car hits you on the open road chances are it will be doing 50 mph , is that helmet really going to save you ?

Actually, very possibly yes given that your legs will take the brunt and you'll end up over the bonnet but anyway, I won't be changing your mind any time soon :) Just stay lucky :thumb:

I've been sent an email by 'NatWest' asking to confirm my details. I don't even bank with NatWest, if you're going to try to scam me, at least put some effort in.

Every now and then we send large money transfers out with Natwest and they then ring me to confirm as it's , well a large amount

The conversation always starts with them asking me for the passwords and me saying No , you called me so i can't verify who you are and I'm not prepared to give the details to you and a Mexican stand off takes place over the phone until we finally come up with something we can agree on that confirms my identity without compromising any security

it's the small victories in life :)

as we were loosely talking about drivers a few pages back

A woman caught on camera driving on a pavement to avoid a Cleveland school bus unloading children will have to stand at a crossroads wearing a sign describing herself as an idiot.

A Cleveland municipal court judge on Monday ordered 32-year-old Shena Hardin to stand at the crossroads on two days next week. She will have to wear a sign that reads: "Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus."

The judge ordered her to wear the sign from 7.45am to 8.45am on both days.

Hardin's licence was suspended for 30 days and she was ordered to pay $250 (£156) in court costs.

The driver of the school bus, Uriah Herron, filmed Hardin driving on the pavement, a detour she is thought to have made every day. His manager, Eric Taylor, said: "We had a very conscientious driver for 30 years. He really cares about his children and he took the extra step [to ensure] that this doesn't happen again."

• Like 1

Every now and then we send large money transfers out with Natwest and they then ring me to confirm as it's , well a large amount

The conversation always starts with them asking me for the passwords and me saying No , you called me so i can't verify who you are and I'm not prepared to give the details to you and a Mexican stand off takes place over the phone until we finally come up with something we can agree on that confirms my identity without compromising any security

it's the small victories in life :)

I had a call from Lloyds the other morning from their fraud prevention department to say they had blocked a large amount of money being taken from my account and I had to call them back so I did and went through all the automated security stuff and it turns out it was just my car insurance company trying to take payment. It's nice to know that my car insurance is so high that my bank thinks it's fradulent. :mellow:

That we had 3 VTers at the WWE show last night, all with potential to be seen by the cameras, and none of them took a "Scuba Steve" sign with them, even after everyone agreed it was a great idea.

For shame.

Sorry, I'll bring one to VP instead this weekend.

My boss and his bloody dogs.

He treats them like children. I love dogs, but it's **** annoying.

He's not coming in today because one of them is sick.

**** off.

ill top that one, i used to work with a bloke, 42 years old, married, worked with him for about 5 years even did my apprenticeship with him, and he and his wife always said they never wanted children which is there choice, then the one day he txt me and told me he has been and brought a puppy. the change in him from that day to this means i keep contact with him to a bare minimum, he took it to work everyday and left it in the cab of the van, refusing to accept my view that it was crueler to leave him trapped in the small cab of a van than to leave it at home where it had the run of the house. they call him there "baby", if they leave the house for more than 20 minutes, they take it round to a relatives house to look after for half hour because as they say, they dont want to "stress him out" and they dont discipline it when its being a bastard because "its just what dogs do".

Â