Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

It's strange, my 'main' bank has embraced all aspects of modern i.t. and all modes of customer interface whilst offering the full range of modern finance opportunities whilst spending millions on sponsoring sport. It has gone down the toilet.

I also use an old school regional building society. I have a little book, I queue in a shop off the High Street, I hand over my book and put money in or take money out. I talk to the lady behind the counter, I know her, she is the sister of a friend. They have not been bailed out with my tax whilst **** me over with bank charges whilst paying themselves bonuses whilst not passing on quantitive denial.

I can't remember the last time I set foot in a bank.

I had to pay in a cheque last week. An actual cheque. Printed on paper. I felt like I'd been asked to calculate something using a abacus.

I only ever set foot in a bank when somethings gone wrong. And then, to prevent more things going wrong, I have to put on the 'Englishman abroad talking to Johnny Foreigner' tone to make sure there can be absolutely no misunderstanding. A lesson learnt from the time I walked in to increase my overdraft by £1,000, was cheerily told by the woman behind the counter that she could do that there and then for me without having to book an appointment, and shortly afterwards discovered she'd actually reduced my student account overdraft by £1,000 and put me severely in arrears and incurred me numerous fines.

On the plus side I got to go back in a few days later and, for once in my life, got to do the outraged customer thing.

I had to pay in a cheque last week. An actual cheque. Printed on paper. I felt like I'd been asked to calculate something using a abacus.

This may just be me being an American, but what's the big deal about checks? I pay my rent every month (a few days late, but my landlord doesn't give a shit) by check, pay my gas bill every year by a check, and if it's a few days before pay day, I'll buy just about anything with a check that won't be presented before there's money in the account. On the rare occasions when I receive a check, I just mail it to my bank (hopefully soon they implement the take a photo of the front and back of the check with your phone and upload it to us thing).

That said, I haven't set foot in a branch of my bank in three or so years.

Cheques are just annoying.

There are some cash machines that let you pay it in, but certainly not all. I know my local branch of my bank doesn't have one.

So if I get a cheque I have to go into the actual bank (doesn't happen very often). And, as others have said, up until recently my local branch only opened when I was at work.

This may just be me being an American, but what's the big deal about checks? I pay my rent every month (a few days late, but my landlord doesn't give a shit) by check, pay my gas bill every year by a check, and if it's a few days before pay day, I'll buy just about anything with a check that won't be presented before there's money in the account. On the rare occasions when I receive a check, I just mail it to my bank (hopefully soon they implement the take a photo of the front and back of the check with your phone and upload it to us thing).

Admittedly, this was over 20 years ago, but I remember discussing banking with my American brother-in-law, and was shocked to realise how primitive the US system was, compared to UK/Europe.

He had been working in Saudi Arabia for a while, and had a real hassle having to regularly post off cheques (OK, checks) to various US companies to pay his utility bills. I said: "Why don't you just set up a standing order or direct debit?" No such thing, apparently. And no bank clearing system either - back home, he could only get cash out from an ATM belonging to his own bank. He seemed quite amazed when I told him I could draw cash from any ATM, pretty much anywhere in Europe. Sounds like things may not have moved on much since.

Like people say, I can't remember when I last saw a cheque.

And I have NEVER been into the actual branch of the bank where my account is held (30 years and counting). It's in another town!

This may just be me being an American, but what's the big deal about checks?

they are back in now , the chavs around me are always wearing checked shirts

oh , you meant cheques

My bank has recently introduced charges for the pleasure of banking with them. Fine you say. But they've done it at the same time as removing their banking network i.o.w. every actual branch. And that makes the 3rd point moot. They stopped accepting cash a few years back. One of their minions rang me to explain the changes and I told him it sounds like they're royally up shit creek. "Oh I wouldn't say that. We're making it more efficient" he said. Yeah, no branches. That's fairly efficient alright.

I pay to have a "premium" account. Worth it purely for the included full AA membership.

Check the small print on the AA membership. I stopped being a member of the AA when they changed their terms and conditions so that they could take your car to a garage of their choice if it was unrepairable roadside, THEIR CHOICE. **** that. Their choice is usually the most overpriced garage in the world and once its not repairable roadside its at your cost too and their garages charge an arm and a leg for labour. I want the AA to tow the car back to my garage, that I use and trust

Check the small print on the AA membership. I stopped being a member of the AA when they changed their terms and conditions so that they could take your car to a garage of their choice if it was unrepairable roadside, THEIR CHOICE. **** that. Their choice is usually the most overpriced garage in the world and once its not repairable roadside its at your cost too and their garages charge an arm and a leg for labour. I want the AA to tow the car back to my garage, that I use and trust

I don't trust any garage, so it's all one to me.

The AA have got me out of the shit so many times, I'll stick with them.

Â