Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As something of an outsider on the Birmingham shit hole question, I have an opinion.

There is something in the psyche around the Midlands that it doesn’t big itself up, quite the opposite, there is a definite air of the negative about things.

Many of you have recently been critical of how wonderful Manchester thinks it is. Well you guys are the other end of the scale. There was one of the earliest posts regarding the Commonwealth Games here on VT, it wasn’t a conversation about an opportunity to see great sport or get investment in local sporting venues, it was the worry that commuting would be shit for a couple of weeks. Same with the new Library, same with New Street.

You don’t need to be happy smiley people 24/7. But give yourselves a break. There’s some good stuff around Brum. The shopping, the station, the canals, the football the easy central location, a big airport the surrounding countryside.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s no Barry Island. But it’s fine.

My Mum is a Geordie, has lived in Birmingham (well, Solihull technically...) for almost 40 years.  She often remarks on how downbeat Brummies are - particularly in reference to going to gigs, which she loves doing.  Most of the time, she'll look for gigs further afield because she finds the crowd more lively and upbeat.

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

I only go into Birmingham a couple of times a year and i always come away with the feeling that it’s a dump. 

It's really not though. Yeah some areas aren't the best, but the city centre is generally pretty nice. As far as city centres go. Sure it's not the prettiest but it's far far from a shit hole

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's really not though. Yeah some areas aren't the best, but the city centre is generally pretty nice. As far as city centres go. Sure it's not the prettiest but it's far far from a shit hole

Outside of a few areas that have had heavy investment I find it generally dirty, smelly, lots of run down buildings and signs of poverty. I never feel particularly safe either. All of that is true of most other cities and not specific to Birmingham.

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

Outside of a few areas that have had heavy investment I find it generally dirty, smelly, lots of run down buildings and signs of poverty. I never feel particularly safe either. All of that is true of most other cities and not specific to Birmingham.

Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking?

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

My Mum is a Geordie, has lived in Birmingham (well, Solihull technically...) for almost 40 years.  She often remarks on how downbeat Brummies are - particularly in reference to going to gigs, which she loves doing.  Most of the time, she'll look for gigs further afield because she finds the crowd more lively and upbeat.

My wife is from Devon, and loves Birmingham. She says the 'dour Brummie' reputation is a total myth, and that Brummies are the friendliest, most open and sociable people she's met anywhere in the UK. 

• Like 2

Brummies certainly have their own  identity I think . Not ones to hype themselves up IMO. Proper salt of the earth types . Regarding it being a shit hole. Yes like every other big city there are plenty of rough places, but I think it’s changed itself into a more vibrant place. Plenty of nice areas and things to do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I once read an article years ago which was on about brummies in general don’t tend to enjoy live shows as much as other cities  wether it be sport, music, comedy etc . Not sure how accurate that is 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Couldn't decide whether this is more appropriate in the things that cheer you up, for the video, or in here, for the actual experience of using one of these useless pieces of crap. 

It would be a good subject on things you don't get thread, why do people even need straws to drink through?  I bet nobody does it at home.

• Like 1

Its just a brummie thing isn't it? Self depreciating humour and playing things down all the time.

I've worked in Brum centre for pretty much all my working life. Used to absolutely love it... I'd spend all week there and then go there at the weekend. Now, I think I'm just a bit bored of it. I can acknowledge its good points but as I have got older, I can see the downsides of it as well. I know where @Genie is coming from in his comments. I guess these are the sides to the city you see when you get older, even though its no more dangerous than it was 20 years back. 

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It would be a good subject on things you don't get thread, why do people even need straws to drink through?  I bet nobody does it at home.

If we get a take home I will pour it out of those paper cups and into a glass.  I bloody hate straws. 

Edited by sidcow

I need the plastic straw to avoid the paper cup... These new fan dangled paper straws are a big no for me, can't do it

I've got that weird thing where I struggle with paper or wood near my mouth, horrible feeling, like ice creams on a wooden stick, ruins it

• Like 2

Having a new tempur mattress arriving today, so had to bag up and bring the old one (also tempur) downstairs ready for collection. 

Stupid price for a mattress but as I had one before then I am used to it. Thing is, cos its pure memory foam it weighs a bloody ton. Took me ages to get it off the bed and then down the stairs. 

I'm now panting like a fat lad in a doughnut shop 🥴

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Having a new tempur mattress arriving today, so had to bag up and bring the old one (also tempur) downstairs ready for collection. 

Stupid price for a mattress but as I had one before then I am used to it. Thing is, cos its pure memory foam it weighs a bloody ton. Took me ages to get it off the bed and then down the stairs. 

I'm now panting like a fat lad in a doughnut shop 🥴

We've got an Emma original superking and as you say these memory foam ones weigh a ton, especially this size, absolutely everything is a 2 man job on ours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

We've got an Emma original superking and as you say these memory foam ones weigh a ton, especially this size, absolutely everything is a 2 man job on ours.

Got the same about a month ago. Took it up 2 flights of stairs. It absolutely broke me. 

• Like 2

Â