Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

In my old house we had double French doors between the living room and kitchen. They were quite dated and the Mrs was looking and new ones. £400, £500, £600. Ouch.

I’m looking on eBay and a set appear, used but mint condition, solid hardwood. Really nice, 10 minutes away. Starting bid £10.

I bid and wait all week for some **** to steal it at the end. I’m refreshing the page every second of the last 5 minutes.

Boom, I got them for £10. I couldn’t believe it.

When I went to collect them they guy was “I thought they’d go for a lot more than that”. Haha, me too, byeeeeeeee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah I had a brief spell of buying stereo turntables on eBay.

You need to be able to wait but there were particular brands and models that would almost always got for a particular price. Every now and again, one wouldn’t sell for no obvious reason. I’d email them an offer of a tenner to take it off them.

Usually, they said no or didn’t reply.

But sometimes (well, five times) I would get a £200 stereo for a tenner.

Then stick it on Gumtree for £50 where I guess the people that were buying them off me were thinking ‘this is worth £200, I’ll stick it on eBay’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another eBay success story. Same house as before with the doors, we moved in and the range cooker was absolutely disgusting, no way we could use it. 
I asked the father in law for a lift to the end of the drive to leave it for the scrap man. He says try it on eBay, you never know.

I put it on a 99p no reserve 7 day auction and I immediately started getting messages. £50, £90, £100. I even stated it was filthy and knackered in the ad. Sold it for £150 via a message. It was Rangemaster and I think there’s good money in reconditioning and reselling them. We did exactly the same with the matching hood for another £100. 
£250 for something the previous owner left and I was about to throw out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, choffer said:

When the continuity announcer on sky says “this programme contains strong and frequent language”.

It gets me every time. 

Surely it can only ever be “frequent strong language”? 

I think that just means there's a lot of talking, no?

On 06/09/2021 at 10:28, Ingram85 said:

Yeah I agree, the uniforms themselves aren’t the problem but they need more standardisation and less rigid elitism around it. Schools are too uppity and anal about their rules and they need to use common sense more and relax a little bit. 

There are no school uniforms in Holland,  the Dutch would not pay for them anyway,  no chance.  

I got sent home from school numerous times becasue of uniform problems and was a catalyst to a whole host of bigger problems.  It seems a massive waste of time to me and is purely a control and money making scheme.  If a school wants people to wear a uniform they should provide it the same as the army.

In the lifetime of a UK teacher,  I wonder how much of their time is used up / distracted by / hold meetings /  call parents about clothing, trainers and skirt lengths.  Its pathetic really IMO ? 25 year career,  i suspect a couple of years or more totally wasted that could have been used to educate children.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Anyone checked how much the energy price hikes are going to cost them? I'm about £400 a year worse off from that with lower than average usage

My fixed rate tariff has just ended but all the comparisons are saying my new standard rate is better than what’s available to switch to. It doesn’t seem right.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know this isn't new news for people who care about kids, but for someone who has been very anti kids for their whole life so has never even considered these things, and is now having to prepare for having one (I'm excited, honest!)... JESUS **** CHRIST it's expensive!

We need a baby bouncer. One of them little chairs that bounce up and down a bit. Oh cool how much is that, 20 quid?

180 quid?! For WHAT?!

Childcare, £1200 a month? WHAT?! what the ****?! 

RIP my disposable income

Obviously this meme is a joke, but there’s a lot of truth in it. 
Everyone falls into the same trap.

Its not because you love the second child any less, you just realise how much money you wasted on the first on things that just didn’t matter.

7214da6767788d20ef30fed838ed996b.jpg
Reality is you can pick up a bouncer second hand for next to nothing (and give it a good clean). But nobody does, because we think we love them more than that.

Same for many other things you need like push chairs, cribs, toys etc. They are pennies second hand as people think they have to buy them new.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Genie said:

Obviously this meme is a joke, but there’s a lot of truth in it. 
Everyone falls into the same trap.

Its not because you love the second child any less, you just realise how much money you wasted on the first on things that just didn’t matter.

7214da6767788d20ef30fed838ed996b.jpg

I'll probably only have one so I'm good with this :) 

Great news @Stevo985 👍

There is tons of 2nd hand stuff that has never been used or hardly used and ask other parents,  do we really need X,Y and Z.  For 180 quid,  it should be amazing and change the lives of all who see it.

Baby's are well into wrapping paper for the first few years as far as I know,  just the paper. 

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll probably only have one so I'm good with this :) 

Haha. But you’ll look back in 2 or 3 years and think how much money you spent on useless crap.

Designer nursery furniture. The latest 2022 model of the push chair. The bouncer that rocks, tilts, sings, moves side to side, designer shoes that never see a floor. 
Everyone makes the same mistakes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know this isn't new news for people who care about kids, but for someone who has been very anti kids for their whole life so has never even considered these things, and is now having to prepare for having one (I'm excited, honest!)... JESUS **** CHRIST it's expensive!

We need a baby bouncer. One of them little chairs that bounce up and down a bit. Oh cool how much is that, 20 quid?

180 quid?! For WHAT?!

Childcare, £1200 a month? WHAT?! what the ****?! 

RIP my disposable income

You're not wrong. The trick is not be proud about secondhand. If you've got friends/relatives/neighbours with slightly older kids, they'll have stuff to pass on. And there are always bargains to be had on eBay, Gumtree, Freecycle, local FB groups, etc. 

Childcare is such a hidden cost. When my daughter stopped going to a child minders it was like a lottery win. Conversely when my daughter became pregnant we tried to hammer home the cost of childcare. Zero **** given as the grandparents did it all. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Childcare is such a hidden cost. When my daughter stopped going to a child minders it was like a lottery win. Conversely when my daughter became pregnant we tried to hammer home the cost of childcare. Zero **** given as the grandparents did it all. 

Oh, snap. Our daughters totally fail to appreciate what a deal they are getting out of us, compared to what it cost us back in the day. 

• Like 1

We're talking about her mom potentially retiring and us (and her sister who has just had a baby) paying the mom to do childcare.

I laughed it off at first thinking there's no way she'd do it because we'd be nowhere near her wage with what we give her. But actually I think if we matched her wage between us we'd be making a massive saving on what we'd have to pay for childcare individually

• Like 1

Â