Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Cars parking outside my home but visiting neighbours? One regularly parks outside ours but then crosses the road to visit someone, even though there is space outside the house he is visiting? Bonkers.

To be fair our street is now becoming a car park. Seems most houses/families in our street have 3 or 4 cars but not the drives to cope.

22 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Cars parking outside my home but visiting neighbours? One regularly parks outside ours but then crosses the road to visit someone, even though there is space outside the house he is visiting? Bonkers.

To be fair our street is now becoming a car park. Seems most houses/families in our street have 3 or 4 cars but not the drives to cope.

Guy over the road from me parks his works van in the turning area at the end of the road rather than on his massive drive. Pisses me right off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Quite a few Taxi drivers have seemingly left

I've meant to ask you if there is a shortage of Taxi drivers. 

The only time I've been out Mrs Sidcow had to come and get me because there was a 4hr wait at 11.00 pm and my lad tried to get one on Saturday night and basically couldn't get one. 

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah, with the grant they were given for the Birmingham emissions zone. Fiddle that was!

Do you have a link anything that will justify this claim. As of April this year the Birmingham Taxi Emissions Grants had distributed just over a £1 million to 816 vehicle owners. 816 sounds like a very small number for a city the size of Birmingham across both sides of the trade

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you have a link anything that will justify this claim. As of April this year the Birmingham Taxi Emissions Grants had distributed just over a £1 million to 816 vehicle owners. 816 sounds like a very small number for a city the size of Birmingham across both sides of the trade

I did read somewhere, but can't find it now. It was far more than £1 million though. I even know 1 or 2 who used to be taxi drivers renewing there license just to get the grant.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Some friends of mine had to warn all visitors about parking outside the house opposite as the bloke was psycho.  It was a road with no drives and tons of cars all over the road.  He twice started ramming cars parked outside his house when he got home. 

Also got into trouble for painting his own yellow box in the road. 

It’s complete looney toons outside ours at times with parking, especially at weekends. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've meant to ask you if there is a shortage of Taxi drivers. 

The only time I've been out Mrs Sidcow had to come and get me because there was a 4hr wait at 11.00 pm and my lad tried to get one on Saturday night and basically couldn't get one. 

We're currently down about 25% on pre-pandemic, we think other companies are further down. It's been the perfect storm. It's a similar tale countrywide, with the exception of London, where there are high numbers of drivers but very weak demand with lots of people still working from home

Reasons:

1.  Retirement
  2.  European drivers returning home due to Brexit and or Pandemic
  3. Lack of demand early in the pandemic pushed drivers to other jobs (delivery mainly, Amazon etc)
  4. Very little unemployment (The great driver of recruitment in the industry) - when the furlough bubble burst this may change
  5. Councils inability to onboard new drivers during the pandemic, hell lots of councils are f***ing up renewals of existing licences
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

We're currently down about 25% on pre-pandemic, we think other companies are further down. It's been the perfect storm. It's a similar tale countrywide, with the exception of London, where there are high numbers of drivers but very weak demand with lots of people still working from home

Reasons:

1.  Retirement
  2.  European drivers returning home due to Brexit and or Pandemic
  3. Lack of demand early in the pandemic pushed drivers to other jobs (delivery mainly, Amazon etc)
  4. Very little unemployment (The great driver of recruitment in the industry) - when the furlough bubble burst this may change
  5. Councils inability to onboard new drivers during the pandemic, hell lots of councils are f***ing up renewals of existing licences

3 was my bet but I get all those reasons and why it adds up to a perfect storm. 

They had better sort it out before the clubs reopen or Broad Street and the like is going to be carnage when the clubs are back and no one can get home. 

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I did read somewhere, but can't find it now. It was far more than £1 million though. I even know 1 or 2 who used to be taxi drivers renewing there license just to get the grant.

No it wasn't, this is as of 8th April 2021

As part of its preparations for the launch of the Clean Air Zone on 1 June 2021 Birmingham City Council has to date issued just over £1 million in Clean Air Zone grants to Birmingham-licensed hackney carriage and private hire drivers.

BCC Taxi Licensing

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

They had better sort it out before the clubs reopen or Broad Street and the like is going to be carnage when the clubs are back and no one can get home. 

Not a prayer of that happening

The clubs will be open before the furlough bubble bursts. It then takes a couple of months to get licenced

Coulcils really aren't prepared to assist here, too busy trying to justify home working forever and even if that was surmountable, councils do only have capacity to process a certain amount of drivers a week and they have no capacity to up this. Then there will be a huge queue for DBS checks etc and the time will just get stretched further.

We'll be lucky if things normalise by this time next year

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yep, i've been trying to have an office/summer house built in my back garden since July last year.   

We obviously got ours in just in time. 

Then again we have a very reliable regular builder that we've used for years. He's built like the proverbial brick shithouse and has a tattoo of a rooster on his bicep, with the slogan 'My big cock'. For some reason my missus finds him fascinating. 

• Haha 3

Â