Jump to content

Things that piss you off that shouldn't


AVFCforever1991
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
39 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

William Hill.

The reason I was given was 'a traders descision'

This is what I don't understand, as I made a fair whack at Cheltenham festival just gone (again in the thousands) and they did nothing!? I would have thought then they would have restricted the account.

Account has been used once since then for a bet on a Villa game.

Bit bizarre their behaviour because of a few results in the Euro's this week. Anyway, f*** em. I've taken my money and ran.

 

Its like being a card counter at Blackjack in Las Vegas

Blackjack is one of those games that the odds only very slightly favour the house if everyone sticks to the accepted roadmap

You can win at Blackjack, just knowing the basic roadmap you've only overcome small odds. The House is fine with this

Card counters have modified roadmaps for the amount of picture cards left in the shoe, these roadmaps swing the odds away from the house considerably

The House hates card counters BUT card counting is not illegal nor is it cheating.

If the pit boss suspects you're a card counter, your night is over. "Excuse me Sir, No more Blackjack this evening, you are quite welcome to play any of our other games". Of course the card counter just walks out and tries his hand elsewhere, he's interested in the odds being in his favour, none of the other games really are (even Roulette, has a slight edge for the house (0 and 00 effectively)

Gambling establishments don't like it up 'em

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its like being a card counter at Blackjack in Las Vegas

Blackjack is one of those games that the odds only very slightly favour the house if everyone sticks to the accepted roadmap

You can win at Blackjack, just knowing the basic roadmap you've only overcome small odds. The House is fine with this

Card counters have modified roadmaps for the amount of picture cards left in the shoe, these roadmaps swing the odds away from the house considerably

The House hates card counters BUT card counting is not illegal nor is it cheating.

If the pit boss suspects you're a card counter, your night is over. "Excuse me Sir, No more Blackjack this evening, you are quite welcome to play any of our other games". Of course the card counter just walks out and tries his hand elsewhere, he's interested in the odds being in his favour, none of the other games really are (even Roulette, has a slight edge for the house (0 and 00 effectively)

Gambling establishments don't like it up 'em

Back in the day when it was one deck and shuffled by the dealer it was like printing money to some. 6 decks and a shuffling machine for years now, I've no idea what the stats say but the house has increased their odds. Casinos hate Pro gamblers, they want recreational gamblers who haven't a clue what they are doing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Back in the day when it was one deck and shuffled by the dealer it was like printing money to some. 6 decks and a shuffling machine for years now, I've no idea what the stats say but the house has increased their odds. Casinos hate Pro gamblers, they want recreational gamblers who haven't a clue what they are doing.

It all depends how deep the cut is in the shoe, casinos short of cash will have a shallow cut and house rules on a soft 16 also vary. Those are the signs the pro-blackjack players look for

There are modified roadmaps for the depth of cut etc, There are hundreds of books written on the subject

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bickster said:

It all depends how deep the cut is in the shoe, casinos short of cash will have a shallow cut and house rules on a soft 16 also vary. Those are the signs the pro-blackjack players look for

There are modified roadmaps for the depth of cut etc, There are hundreds of books written on the subject

Haven't looked in to it too much but I've witnessed a few live over the years, it can still be done with 6 decks but it's incomparable to a.single deck. The smart pro's could go virtually undetected by not being too greedy, perfectly timing their bet sizes, have losing sessions to give a little back, moaning that they never win etc, brilliant. Anyone that sticks it up a casino is a.legend.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
35 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Haven't looked in to it too much but I've witnessed a few live over the years, it can still be done with 6 decks but it's incomparable to a.single deck. The smart pro's could go virtually undetected by not being too greedy, perfectly timing their bet sizes, have losing sessions to give a little back, moaning that they never win etc, brilliant. Anyone that sticks it up a casino is a.legend.

Only time I've ever been to Vegas, I went with my mate Dave, a card counter. We broke his record, 5 casinos in a week he was asked to play a different game. Majorly funny, especially as we accepted all the free beers because we were playing the tables for hours

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

When I was a kid I would sometimes pick a horse in the Grand National, and my dad would put a small each way bet on for me. 

Also as a kid, I sometimes put pennies in fruit machines in seaside amusement arcades. 

I was in the lottery syndicate at work. 

And I occasionally buy a raffle ticket. 

Other than that I've never gambled. Never been in a bookie's, never been in a casino, never been on a gambling website. 

Absolutely zero appeal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Also as a kid, I sometimes put pennies in fruit machines in seaside amusement arcades. 

Not fruit machines but those machines you put 2p in and watch them build up and tip over the edge

still one of my finest sporting moments when i heard that distinctive coin drop noise somewhere off to my left and managed to beat some 82 year old woman with a zimmer frame to the 8p that had dropped out

talk about a sore loser ,  though with hindsight maybe it didn't require a victory dance 

 

but even those machines seem to be addictive for people , spend £5 to win 26 p  and a rubber keyring that they randomly place on top

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just nipped to the attic room for a bit of peace on the toilet. 2 minutes in and the smoke alarm is going off from the kitchen. I let it ring out as my wife is cooking. Turns out I am a word removed as it could have been a fire and I valued finishing my shit over the property and life. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I just nipped to the attic room for a bit of peace on the toilet. 2 minutes in and the smoke alarm is going off from the kitchen. I let it ring out as my wife is cooking. Turns out I am a word removed as it could have been a fire and I valued finishing my shit over the property and life. 

Sorry love, thought you were just cooking and playing with your dub siren at the same time

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I just nipped to the attic room for a bit of peace on the toilet. 2 minutes in and the smoke alarm is going off from the kitchen. I let it ring out as my wife is cooking. Turns out I am a word removed as it could have been a fire and I valued finishing my shit over the property and life. 

What you gonna do? Waddle out of a burning building with a turtles head and your slacks around your ankles.

I'm with you on this. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Not fruit machines but those machines you put 2p in and watch them build up and tip over the edge

still one of my finest sporting moments when i heard that distinctive coin drop noise somewhere off to my left and managed to beat some 82 year old woman with a zimmer frame to the 8p that had dropped out

talk about a sore loser ,  though with hindsight maybe it didn't require a victory dance 

 

but even those machines seem to be addictive for people , spend £5 to win 26 p  and a rubber keyring that they randomly place on top

Arcades are shit nowadays.

Generally you win bugger all and get slapped with stupid token ticket things instead.

Any kid playing one needs to gather about 500 of them just to win a stupid keyring in their poxy shop at the back of the arcade. Utter nonsense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


25 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s a decent film about card counting called 21. As far as I can remember when I watched about 10 years ago anyway.

The book was better , bringing down the house ,  by Ben Mezrich

he has some cracking true events books for those that like that sort of thing … the financial ones are great and definitely recommended 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s a decent film about card counting called 21. As far as I can remember when I watched about 10 years ago anyway.

Funny you mention this, I was talking about this with the missus earlier.

Unfortunately it features Kevin Spacey.

Another good film that's recent is called 'The Gambler' feat. Mark Whalberg.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I grew up in a seaside town, one street from the arcades and slot machines.

I can spot a slider machine about to drop and a predatory paedo from 200 yards.

I grew up addicted to this machine.

wwf_wrestlefest__82794.1585947640.jpg?c=

Some great memories growing up playing this at the seaside arcades!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I grew up in a seaside town, one street from the arcades and slot machines.

I can spot a slider machine about to drop and a predatory paedo from 200 yards.

A bag of sweets  and a pocket full of coins … result 

Edited by tonyh29
Typo fail
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â