Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Care to teach me why ?

I'm not sure to be honest.

I guess that "Nobody" is technically singular, even though instinctively it feels like it should be a plural. 

The subject of the sentence is the "body" which is singular.

So if you were saying "No people" instead then it would be "were". 
"No people were in the room"

Because "people" is plural.
But "body" is singular, hence you use "was"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure to be honest.

I guess that "Nobody" is technically singular, even though instinctively it feels like it should be a plural. 

The subject of the sentence is the "body" which is singular.

So if you were saying "No people" instead then it would be "were". 
"No people were in the room"

Because "people" is plural.
But "body" is singular, hence you use "was"

Considering you're 'not sure', that's exactly the right answer. See also 'everyone' - it must refer to multiple people, but it treats each 'one' separately, as it were.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

New Dominoes ad. I hope everyone involved has a good think about what they’ve done. 

It was funny the first time I saw it. I wanted to kill the second time. It now gets muted.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Considering you're 'not sure', that's exactly the right answer. See also 'everyone' - it must refer to multiple people, but it treats each 'one' separately, as it was.  

:) should have written the above, just to really tweak their grammar brainses!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Genie said:

That reminded me of a time me and the Mrs went into a pub, sat down at the bar and ordered a drink. Thought it was good they had a DJ on, then commented how smart people looked, oh and a buffet, that’s unusual.

Yep, it was a private party :lol: 

I’ll be honest, I fully expected that to end with “Yep, it was a funeral” 👀😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Grammar.

Nobody was...or... nobody were? I'm thinking it should be were, but my 'language ear' wants to say was.

It would probably be 'nobody were' in parts of West Yorkshire (particularly Bradford) though.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Grammar.

Nobody was...or... nobody were? I'm thinking it should be were, but my 'language ear' wants to say was.

It depends if what is said is indicative (to indicate) or subjunctive (relating to something wished or imagined - this is always were).

An easier way to think about it (because it's almost always correct) is this:

If a sentence has 'you', 'we', or 'they', you should use were. If it is 'I', 'he', 'she', or 'it', you will then need to think about it in relation to indicative or subjunctive.

For example: If you were to score a goal, you would be the top goal scorer.

or

If I was wrong about directions to the stadium, I apologise.

I wish I were at the stadium. (a wish will always use were)

17 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

4 of us went in the Crossways pub in Kingstanding , on a friday night once, not locals, never been in before. Luckily my mate had a friend in there. Don't know if any of you remember it.

Yeah I remember it, if you wasn't KS, you wasn't invited. Someone got stabbed up in there I believe, is why it closed down. Cross keys closed down recently too, another shit hole.

21 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm actually quite pleased I have never even heard of it. 

It’s a 90s dance tune reworked with “Friday again...” sang over the top based on a viral video that some guys made of doing just that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattklein/2020/05/07/meet-mufasa--hypeman-influencers-born-in-a-pandemic-ringing-in-the-weekend/?sh=6fb4fc7a76c1

When days blur and optimism is scarce, Mufasa and his hype man are here to cheer you on, reminding you that we made it—it's Friday.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah I remember it, if you wasn't KS, you wasn't invited. Someone got stabbed up in there I believe, is why it closed down. Cross keys closed down recently too, another shit hole.

Yours for a bargain £500k

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90637399#/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It’s a 90s dance tune reworked with “Friday again...” sang over the top based on a viral video that some guys made of doing just that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattklein/2020/05/07/meet-mufasa--hypeman-influencers-born-in-a-pandemic-ringing-in-the-weekend/?sh=6fb4fc7a76c1

I did know this. I am less old. 

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14238365

I do know the 90's dance tune - Nightcrawlers?

Betting sites and betting companies.

Having been on a bit of a winning streak in the Euro's, with this week mainly - winning nearly £3k since Tuesday (Portugal to win 3-0 and Ronaldo to score last) (Italy to win 3-0 And Immobile to score last) and only small stakes of £100 a time etc.

Only to find today they have restricted my account! 

They're happy to take people's money but hate paying it out!  🤬 c****!

Yep

Good time to walk away if you're pissed off at them 

One for the things I don't get thread, I can understand a small accie when watching Geoff on a Saturday but £100 on correct score and scorer seems insane to me 

Don't think I've ever gone higher than a tenner, not placed a bet in maybe 3 years now bar sweepstakes etc 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yep

One for the things I don't get thread, I can understand a small accie when watching Geoff on a Saturday but £100 on correct score and scorer seems insane to me 

Don't think I've ever gone higher than a tenner, not placed a bet in maybe 3 years now bar sweepstakes etc 

The only time I gamble any decent amount of money is if I go to the horse racing (which is usually once a year, if that)

And even then you're only talking £20-30 a race, which can add up to a couple of hundred quid if you have a bad day but it's all part of the experience.

Never gamble much usually. I've put two £10 bets on the Euros for a laugh and that's it. It's a mugs game. You'll never win

I've been to the races about 5 times and bet about £10 a race

It would explain my thoughts on gambling, I was bored and drunk 

I wouldn't normally bet on horses because I find it boring, it's the gambling that's interesting so I can just remove myself from it entirely

Not sure if people who gamble on football are doing it to try and make the whole thing more exciting but again I can avoid it by happily swerving any non villa game, euros I'm enjoying 

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

Small stakes of £100? 
That’s a bloody massive stake, be careful.

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep

£100 on correct score and scorer seems insane to me 

I agree with you both. Believe it or not I deposited £50 into my account at the beginning of the tournament and I started off with little bets as £20 on handicap betting i.e France -1 goal etc. and was winning a few of those, in the end I was betting with their money so to speak.

But yes, being as up as much as I am today, I have already withdrew it all now this morning since they have suspended me from betting any further now.

Will take the missus shopping on Saturday and out for dinner etc.

Fwiw. I only really bet at the Cheltenham festival or at Euro's/World cups etc.

• Like 2

Â