Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If everyone who drove stuck to the 2 second rule for the gap there probalby wouldnt be any need for speed changes or things like that,  the chances of a crash are reduced considerably IMO.

It's such an easy rule that works at 40 mph and 140 mph but no one does it.

If everyone left that much gap, would there even be enough room on the motorways for all the cars trying to join?  

Would they queue on the slip road for a gap, or they join in a smaller gap and then all the cars behind have to slow down to create the gap again? For every car joining at busy times?

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There are two points here:

For pedantry, I’m sticking with maths as I was taught it, they cannot possibly bunch up if they are doing the same speed.

For real life experience, traffic flows better when you haven’t got the usual problem of those german cars that can’t drive at a constant speed. You know the ones, they are accelerating or braking, they appear to have some sort of design fault somewhere in them.

Surely the problem is the non-German car drivers hogging the middle and outside lane causing them to have to brake ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I have got one,  it's brilliant adn I only ride it on the road.

It's probably different in Holland as the normal bikes clog up the pavements / roads and anywhere else.  The normal bikes are the problem here.

I have not used my car for small journeys for 6 months also but I also live by the seaside so there are big spaces and bike lanes everywhere.

If there are no bike lanes there then that is the problem IMO,  not the e-bikes.

I don't mind riding one myself and I agree they can be very neat to get around on. But the problem is that there's too many of them, very little regulation and people by large are **** idiots. Then add a bunch of kids using them and you're in for a shit show.

I've never understood why people drive them on the pavements anyway. It's an electric vehicle, what makes people think it doesn't belong on the road? You wouldn't drive an electric motorcycle on the pavements would you? Pedestrian areas are pedestrian areas.

And why these are allowed to be driven by kids I'll never know.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If everyone who drove stuck to the 2 second rule for the gap there probalby wouldnt be any need for speed changes or things like that,  the chances of a crash are reduced considerably IMO.

Game theory, individuality and basic human nature pretty much make the above a non-starter.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

So there's an event happening in the sky right now (partial eclipse)... as is absolutely guaranteed, 100% cloud cover

We had clear sky … alas I couldn’t get any decent pics off the phone  but did manage to kinda capture the “bite”

F335400D-AA00-448A-9DBA-FE97051E5A3F.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I was always told it was a 3 second rule. Don't tell me the British have their own seconds as well?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I was always told it was a 3 second rule. Don't tell me the British have their own seconds as well?

Over here they teach 2 in the dry, 4 in the wet.

Then 80% of people ignore it after the test, and try to drive into the boot of the car in front

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Then 80% of people ignore it after the test, and try to drive into the boot of the car in front

Well that makes sense at least, even if I haven't done the numbers on it.

Something funny we do I guess, is the "slippery road practise course". To get the lisence here you drive on an ice court and play around with the car and get to get the feel of ABS and non ABS on ice etc.

But for some reason this is not a requirement for taxi drivers in Oslo that just transfer their driving lisence from their home country. These drivers are almost exclusively from Pakistan and Africa. Makes sense right? You how no idea how much bat shit driving I've seen from these drivers on snow and ice. Fortunately they learn quickly, but **** me.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Haha 1

• VT Supporter
23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That’s double of here where It’s 2 in the pink, 1 in the brown.

• Haha 3

• VT Supporter
Posted (edited)

Imagine spending $109 plus tax to go into Universal Studios to spend 4-5 hours in a queue in the sun, surrounded by people for a 90 second ride

CB9-BBE30-BF8-F-4551-95-F0-F640-B969539-

5-B0-CD3-AC-5-D3-B-43-AF-AB1-E-C328-B95-

I love Orlando and rollercoasters as much as the next person but that’s ridiculous 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No, our seconds are the same, our reactions are just better :mrgreen:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

We once had a raffle at work to win an iPad or something. It was £1 a ticket. 

My colleague was moaning as “you usually get a strip of 5 for £1”.

I tried to explain that it didn’t really matter, she still had the same chance of winning. She laughed and argued she’d have much more chance of winning if she had a strip of 5 tickets.

This was about 10 years ago and I still think about it whenever I see one of those raffle ticket books and it still annoys me.

Actually a better chance of winning at £1 a ticket, as it’s the smallest possible price to pay. Someone who might have bought 5 for £1 could get 2 for 40p thus reducing the overall number of tickets to be selected from.

Actually having said that, it could also encourage people buying £1.40s worth too. But the important thing is the chance is only dependent on the number of tickets in circulation and your proportion of it, not the price of them.

Edited by a m ole

15 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

We once had a raffle at work to win an iPad or something. It was £1 a ticket. 

My colleague was moaning as “you usually get a strip of 5 for £1”.

I tried to explain that it didn’t really matter, she still had the same chance of winning. She laughed and argued she’d have much more chance of winning if she had a strip of 5 tickets.

This was about 10 years ago and I still think about it whenever I see one of those raffle ticket books and it still annoys me.

Its like the old lotto one. A lot of people would never pick 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 on the lotto ticket as those numbers would never happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Actually a better chance of winning at £1 a ticket, as it’s the smallest possible price to pay. Someone who might have bought 5 for £1 could get 2 for 40p thus reducing the overall number of tickets to be selected from.

Actually having said that, it could also encourage people buying £1.40s worth too. But the important thing is the chance is only dependent on the number of tickets in circulation and your proportion of it, not the price of them.

Nah, those people who sell at £1 a strip, don't let you split up the strip.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, those people who sell at £1 a strip, don't let you split up the strip.

And the reward/price ratio stays the same ... even if you could buy a 20 p ticket from a strip. I hope your colleague was not involved decisions that required statistical skills.

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

And the reward/price ratio stays the same ... even if you could buy a 20 p ticket from a strip. I hope your colleague was not involved decisions that required statistical skills.

Erm, firstly that was precisely my point and secondly, it wasn't me that raised this

On 09/06/2011 at 12:15, Paddywhack said:

The stupidity of some people. There's a woman at work who just complained we are being charged £1 for one raffle ticket instead of getting a strip of 5. I can't be bothered to explain to her that her chances of winning are exactly the same

I had a feeling I’d posted about it at the time.

I said it was about 10 years ago...10 years and 1 day!

Apparently I couldn’t be bothered to correct her, I must have made that bit up at some point that over the years.

I should probably let this go now.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â