Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

£2 are you bloody made of money? I'll save more than that by buying short dated food for tonights tea

I’m sure I save more than £2 by not putting flapjack pieces, and other biscuits and cakes I don’t need in my trolley. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

£2 are you bloody made of money? I'll save more than that by buying short dated food for tonights tea

Damn straight!

What’s for tea? Whatever’s got yellow stickers on it in Waitrose. Which some nights, means 500g of lean mince and 6 yellow tulips.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Damn straight!

What’s for tea? Whatever’s got yellow stickers on it in Waitrose. Which some nights, means 500g of lean mince and 6 yellow tulips.

Tulip Bulb Soup

Tulip bulbs are rich in carbohydrates, but they will not thicken a soup in the same way as flour does. The pulp of the bulbs will remain discernible as small flakes. The ‘surrogate curry powder’ consisted mostly of a filling material with some food colour and volatile essential oils for flavour. I used simple curry powder for my adaptation because – luckily – surrogate curry is not available anymore. However, that means that the soup will have a better flavour than the original version.
Warning – When planning to prepare this soup, make absolutely sure that the bulbs are suitable for consumption,  because bulbs are treated with all kinds of pesticides. That is not a problem when using them in the garden, but it is when they are meant to be eaten. Buying ‘organically grown’ bulbs is not enough, ask the supplier for information.
For 4 persons; preparation in advance 15 minutes; preparation 10 minutes.

4 to 6 organic tulip bulbs
1 onion
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp Maggi aroma
1 tsp curry powder
salt to taste

Preparation in advance

Peel and chop the onion.
Peel the tulip bulbs. Cut them in half and remove the germ. Then grate the bulbs on a fine-meshed grater. Do this just before adding them to the pan, as the pulp discolours quickly.

Preparation

Heat the oil in a small pan. Fry onion and curry powder until the onion has coloured slightly. Add water and aroma. Bring to the boil, stir in the grated tulip bulbs and boil for another few minutes. Add salt to taste.

To serve

Warm, in a bowl or soup plate.
I could not resist temptation, and adapted the picture of the soup. Click on the picture to see the original colour version. The bulbs on the left are tulips, the one on the right is an onion

Put the mince back

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

The reduced aisle is frequently my saviour. I'm a decent cook, but hate thinking of family meal ideas to suit everones taste. If I can't decide and no one else is being very helpful (as per usual). It'll be the first place I go and usually there is something to inspire me for the evenings tea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I can get someone else to walk round the store, bag it and deliver it to my door for £2.

I won’t be going to the store for a “big shop” unless I really have to. 

This.

haven't been in a supermarket since first lockdown, won't be bothering again when I can get it delivered for 4 quid a month or whatever.

• Like 2

On the delivery theme we’ve got Tesco delivering tonight. We went for the saver 6-10pm slot because they always turn up early…

Just had text to say they’ll arrive between 9-10.

ASDA I’ve found are by far the worst for substitutions / out of stock items.

Morrisons are the best.

Tesco in between but they do tend to upgrade their subs when stuff isn’t available.

I’m not rich enough to use Waitrose / Ocado.

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

We used Ocado once a few months back. One substitution, we ordered a silly childs (aged 7-9 type) easter egg as a joke for our 24 year old daughter, the replacement? A box of Elizabeth Shaw Mint Crisps

That replacement algo is shite

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

We used Ocado once a few months back. One substitution, we ordered a silly childs (aged 7-9 type) easter egg as a joke for our 24 year old daughter, the replacement? A box of Elizabeth Shaw Mint Crisps

This. No way do I trust some spotty youth in Morrisons to do my shopping for me. I don't always know what I want until I see it. This is especially important with fresh produce - fruit and veg, etc. I want to see the sell-by dates. I want to see the special offers. I WANT to be able to impulse buy. I want to be able to buy a bottle of Scotch without the missus tutting. I want to get out of the house. Have a bit of a drive, listen to an album. Shopping has been one of my outlets in the lockdown. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

You could have rejected the sub as they tell you in advance what it will be. The driver also double checks and will take it back and refund you on the spot if you don't want it

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I can get someone else to walk round the store, bag it and deliver it to my door for £2.

I won’t be going to the store for a “big shop” unless I really have to. 

£4.99 a month with Ocado. So about £1.25 per delivery.

Would I prefer to pay that to avoid spending an hour of my day going to a supermarket full of words removed? Damn right I would

• Like 1

On 04/05/2021 at 10:29, Follyfoot said:

What happened to Better Buys? 

Bankrupt. Reg and Curly were on the take. 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

You'll only waste the money saved on some obscure bavarian reggae on vinyl. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You could have rejected the sub as they tell you in advance what it will be. The driver also double checks and will take it back and refund you on the spot if you don't want it

This is spectacularly missing the point of my post. The substitution algo is shite

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Shopping has been one of my outlets in the lockdown. 

Same. 

Its is one of the few genuine reasons for me to go out at the minute. I like the drive there, the tunes played and the fresh air (being cooped up in a flat all day is getting me down)

• Like 1

I found that if you do the shopping online then you only end up buying the things that you need and that's no fun, it's utterly joyless

I prefer to go down the shop, stroll around for 30 mins, go down every aisle, look at the offers, usually when I go I don't know what I'm having for tea that night I try and discover something there and then, go down the foreign food aisle and see if anything is new (think it was tescos that introduced "I'm new" signs in their stores, that's perfect for me, don't know you need it until you see it 

Its the only thing that makes shopping bearable, online doesn't work that way, you make a list you buy the list 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I prefer to go down the shop, stroll around for 30 mins, go down every aisle, look at the offers, usually when I go I don't know what I'm having for tea that night I try and discover something there and then, go down the foreign food aisle and see if anything is new (think it was tescos that introduced "I'm new" signs in their stores, that's perfect for me, don't know you need it until you see it

It's a bit swings and roundabouts for me. 

Previously, me and the missus would go to the supermarket together. I found this a tiresome chore. 

If she goes on her own, I get some free time, and the really good news is that she pays for it. The downside is that she only buys the boring stuff that she thinks we need, so no treats for me. 

But doing it myself has been a revelation. I actually enjoy it. She gives me a detailed list, I get everything on it, but I take it at my own pace - read the magazines in the racks, browse the booze aisles in a leisurely manner, pack the bags neatly, impulse buy stuff just for me. And because I do it on Friday morning, rather than at the weekend, it's not crowded. 

• Like 4

Â