Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Fireworks.

Sounds like the Middle east.

Hope the **** all blow their own hands off.

One of the greatest mysteries of "weird shit that's popular" for me. "I just really like the big bang and flashing lights in the sky".

Incidentally, there have been silent ones on the market for years, but people need a big bang so they know when to "ooooh". **** cretins. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No, I think it's a young persons thing. 

I first encountered it 30+ years ago from people in their 40's and 50's at the time.   I had just moved back to Kansas City and had oddly never heard it when I was growing up there.

46 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I first encountered it 30+ years ago from people in their 40's and 50's at the time.   I had just moved back to Kansas City and had oddly never heard it when I was growing up there.

I was going to suggest it was an American thing, but wasn't sure. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not even sure if Johnson said it today (because I didn't watch him) but this "Following THE Science" phrase

It's following Science, why the f*** is The chucked in?

I wonder if it comes from that shampoo advert? "Here comes the science..." 

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

You lost me at this point...

and following it up with this word was never going to aid my understanding

"Here comes the science" became a fairly widely used catchphrase for a while. Although seeing this again, it was actually "Here comes the science bit". 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, bickster said:

@mjmooneybut she says "here somes the science bit".... world of difference

Yeah, you're right. But after that ad (which was on ALL the time), I heard a lot of people consciously or unconsciously referencing it, saying "here comes the science..." in various contexts. 

I doubt if it was that, though. People just use "the science (of)..." when referring to specific phenomena (see below). I think "follow the science" is just shorthand for "the science of pandemic management", as opposed to the whole field of science. 

Screenshot_20201031_222554_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I suppose “You do the math(s)” has been a phrase for a while.

But with “follow the science”, the “the” makes it sound more imposing and impressive.

Watching the Indian Premier League cricket on Sky recently I've noticed a lot of the adverts are for coding lessons for kids.  There is one where an English lady says 'do the math' which I kind of disapprove of but at the same time I'm glad to even see adverts for coding aimed at kids, clearly aimed towards families from Indian backgrounds.  It makes a nice change from Just Eat or Go Compare.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Watching the Indian Premier League cricket on Sky recently I've noticed a lot of the adverts are for coding lessons for kids.  There is one where an English lady says 'do the math' which I kind of disapprove of but at the same time I'm glad to even see adverts for coding aimed at kids, clearly aimed towards families from Indian backgrounds.  It makes a nice change from Just Eat or Go Compare.

Yep, very interesting. In my (somewhat limited) experience of working with Indians this is quite typical. I worked with a Sikh at my last Local Authority - his biggest problem was that he was an ardent Wolves supporter ! We once talked about the somewhat tricky topic of why there weren't more Asians playing football. His opinion was, sod all to do with racism, but Indian families wanted their children to go into the "professions - Doctors, Dentists etc, not football. An excellent ethic in my opinion. ,

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

People who say, or write ‘the’ HMRC, it is the revenue and customs if you want to use ‘the’ 

Woah there. Its a department. Like the DWP, the department for health and social care. Referring to a department, “the” works. Peter, 50 years old, former employee of the HMRC. 

• Like 2

Â