Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

This one is a definite for this topic

The word algorithm

Here's my reasons

1. I can't spell it correctly I want to spell it algorhythm
  2. Its started to be used to make calculations sound super clever and important when really that isn't the case.
  3. No-one ever realises that the recipe in a cookbook is an algorithim, they think its always something really clever that is beyond their capabilities but they shouldn't question it for fear of looking stupid (which is often the intention of its usage)

Its an arse of a word

The lack of children in A&E with saucepans stuck on their heads. For various reasons I have been several times in the last couple of months and have not spotted one. Is it anything to do with the lack of daleks on the TV or something more sinister. Such a shame

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

a team meeting has been moved forward to 9am this morning. On the one hand - **** 9am? On the other, I'm hoping it means it ends far quicker, usually when they're at10 or 10.30, half of my colleagues will ramble on in the zoom meeting about all nothing at all. And you can never just turn your camera off after a meeting has started, that seems too obvious, so you're stuck, pretending to pay attention while trying to get on with more interesting stuff. Thus, hopefully they're all still half asleep and we can be done in 10 minutes. Fingers crossed. 

9 minutes ago, Rodders said:

a team meeting has been moved forward to 9am this morning. On the one hand - **** 9am? On the other, I'm hoping it means it ends far quicker, usually when they're at10 or 10.30, half of my colleagues will ramble on in the zoom meeting about all nothing at all. And you can never just turn your camera off after a meeting has started, that seems too obvious, so you're stuck, pretending to pay attention while trying to get on with more interesting stuff. Thus, hopefully they're all still half asleep and we can be done in 10 minutes. Fingers crossed. 

Ah you’re missing the old “turn camera off because of poor connection / buffering” hack. I’ve seen that done quite a few times. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I have a daily meeting at 8.30 followed by another daily meeting at 9. Arseholes planned these meetings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the pre warned "you don't need to do anything" fire alarm test in my office has been going on for 15 minutes now

Ah you've just reminded me of a positive of the pandemic, these have stopped.

The two admin staff that did these on a bi-weekly rota have been made redundant and no-one has realised they don't happen anymore

The pair of them were sodding useless. Couldn't turn the alarm off... ever! They'd be shown each time, for years. Still couldn't manage it.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2020 at 11:04, StefanAVFC said:

I went to a protest yesterday, amazing. Completely blocked the main road in Katowice with cars and people. The same protests were nationwide. With further plans for women to completely strike tomorrow.

The response of TVP (the Polish BBC)

Our company have remained crippingly neutral on this, allowing women to only strike if 'the business is secured'. They are also stating that 'we have people from all backgrounds within the company so we have to respect their views' and 'Russia have lost a lot of business due to politics, and we don't want the same'.

I'm sorry but the politics of Poland is completely ****, and needs to change. If people don't want to do business in Poland, it won't be because of people striking and protesting sickening politics, it'll be for the fascist politics itself.

Very disappointing.

• Like 1

I received a letter from the NHS today , intrigued i opened it ... it was a letter telling me that now I'm 50 ,  I am now eligible for free flu jabs and I should schedule one with my doctor

Threw the letter in the bin, I still pogo at gigs, wear t-shirts outside when its minus 4 and  get found drunk in gutters  ...   I'm too young to be declared old by the NHS

when I don a cloth cap and gloves to drive a car at 20 mph through a 40 zone , then I'll have a flu jab

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I received a letter from the NHS today , intrigued i opened it ... it was a letter telling me that now I'm 50 ,  I am now eligible for free flu jabs and I should schedule one with my doctor

Threw the letter in the bin, I still pogo at gigs, wear t-shirts outside when its minus 4 and  get found drunk in gutters  ...   I'm too young to be declared old by the NHS

when I don a cloth cap and gloves to drive a car at 20 mph through a 40 zone , then I'll have a flu jab

I get what you're saying but to be honest my work has offered to pay for flu jabs this year because of covid19. My wife and I are both in our 30s and are going to get them done. It's free, might just help out this winter, so why not? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I get what you're saying but to be honest my work has offered to pay for flu jabs this year because of covid19. My wife and I are both in our 30s and are going to get them done. It's free, might just help out this winter, so why not? 

My wife got me a driving hat and gloves for my birthday  that I don't need if you want to borrow them :)

yeah , likewise I  get what you say about why not have it ..   but without wishing to sound like a dirty Northerner ignoring lockdowns  , only someone lobbing my head off and shouting "There can be only one" ,is taking me out , not flu

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My wife got me a driving hat and gloves for my birthday  that I don't need if you want to borrow them :)

yeah , likewise I  get what you say about why not have it ..   but without wishing to sound like a dirty Northerner ignoring lockdowns  , only someone lobbing my head off and shouting "There can be only one" ,is taking me out , not flu

Admit it, it's because you'll cry and pass out at the sight of a needle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Admit it, it's because you'll cry and pass out at the sight of a needle

its true ,  i even broke out in a cold sweat when I went to the western extremity of the Isle of Wight

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

Â