Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Trying to buy a cordless lawn mower (that i dont really need, but am fed up of the corded one & having to untangle it & the extension cable)........i am pissed off at seeing a good brand, good reviews at below £200.......only to find many of those ones dont include the battery & charger, which typically adds £60 - £80 to the overall price 😡😡

11 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Trying to buy a cordless lawn mower (that i dont really need, but am fed up of the corded one & having to untangle it & the extension cable)........i am pissed off at seeing a good brand, good reviews at below £200.......only to find many of those ones dont include the battery & charger, which typically adds £60 - £80 to the overall price 😡😡

Petrol mower is the answer to your prayers. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Petrol mower is the answer to your prayers. 

I concur, for the same price you can buy a new (but cheaply made piece of shite) from your local hardware store. Someone out there will be selling a 2nd hand petrol mower that's better quality for around the same price or even less. 

The new mowers I buy for work cost around $1200 but my back up one I try and grab for around $250 2nd hand, which I think is around £150. As long as they have been serviced they'll last for ever.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Agreed....an therein lies even more self annoyance. I bought a petrol mower 3 years ago - a self propelled one at that. My two lawns dont need such a powerful machine but hey ho i bought it anyway. I've used it 4 times and it's been sat in my garage for 2 years. Needs a service, probably won't start after so long and i can't be arsed to sort it out.

So here i am looking for a cordless mower and in my mind I'm justifying buying one cos I'll sell the petrol mower......but in reality i can't be arsed to do that either. So I'm actually pissed off at myself.

23 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Agreed....an therein lies even more self annoyance. I bought a petrol mower 3 years ago - a self propelled one at that. My two lawns dont need such a powerful machine but hey ho i bought it anyway. I've used it 4 times and it's been sat in my garage for 2 years. Needs a service, probably won't start after so long and i can't be arsed to sort it out.

So here i am looking for a cordless mower and in my mind I'm justifying buying one cos I'll sell the petrol mower......but in reality i can't be arsed to do that either. So I'm actually pissed off at myself.

Have a little tinker with it. It’ll be fun. Drain any remaining petrol out of it and put some fresh stuff in. Then remove the spark plug, either stick a new one in or clean the soot from around the sparker. It might take a few pulls to start, and it’ll probably be a bit smokey at first but I bet it’ll be fine. If you pull the cord with the spark plug out you can see if it’s producing a spark or not. If it does, and you’ve got fresh petrol in it should fire up. Make sure the blade is not seized up. Bit of WD should sort it.

I had a really old petrol mower (I got off my father in law who bought it about 12 years ago) and it was rattly and noisy but still did the job. Couple of years ago I bought one from Tesco direct in their closing sale. Cost £50 and does my gardens fine.

Still have the old one too and I’m sure it’ll work with about 15 minutes TLC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Have a little tinker with it. It’ll be fun. Drain any remaining petrol out of it and put some fresh stuff in. Then remove the spark plug, either stick a new one in or clean the soot from around the sparker.

That's what she said.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Have a little tinker with it. It’ll be fun. Drain any remaining petrol out of it and put some fresh stuff in. Then remove the spark plug, either stick a new one in or clean the soot from around the sparker. It might take a few pulls to start, and it’ll probably be a bit smokey at first but I bet it’ll be fine. If you pull the cord with the spark plug out you can see if it’s producing a spark or not. If it does, and you’ve got fresh petrol in it should fire up. Make sure the blade is not seized up. Bit of WD should sort it.

I had a really old petrol mower (I got off my father in law who bought it about 12 years ago) and it was rattly and noisy but still did the job. Couple of years ago I bought one from Tesco direct in their closing sale. Cost £50 and does my gardens fine.

Still have the old one too and I’m sure it’ll work with about 15 minutes TLC.

mZaWQpU.jpg

• Haha 3

Our gas mower had been sitting unused for several years and wouldn't start.   Changed spark plug and tried cleaning the carburetor to no avail.  Couldn't get it serviced any time soon because of shelter in place, so the wife and I watched you tube videos and eventually took a punt on ordering a new carburetor online for $20 or so and replaced it.   Runs like a charm.  I would have felt like such a real man if it wasn't for the fact that it was my wife who said we should just order a carburetor and collared me when I got home from work Friday and said, "Carburetor's arrived, let's try to change it right now."

30 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Our gas mower had been sitting unused for several years and wouldn't start.   Changed spark plug and tried cleaning the carburetor to no avail.  Couldn't get it serviced any time soon because of shelter in place, so the wife and I watched you tube videos and eventually took a punt on ordering a new carburetor online for $20 or so and replaced it.   Runs like a charm.  I would have felt like such a real man if it wasn't for the fact that it was my wife who said we should just order a carburetor and collared me when I got home from work Friday and said, "Carburetor's arrived, let's try to change it right now."

This reminded me of a problem with my older petrol mower. It was running really rich and burning loads of fuel. I put up with it for ages but eventually googled it. Problem was a tiny split on the paper seal under the carb. Ordered one off eBay for about £1, changed it in 5 minutes and it was running sweet.

Just now, mjmooney said:

How big are your feckin lawns? 

Wild horses wouldn't get me messing around with an internal combustion engine for anything less than an acre. 

Same here, and to be fair if you had wild horses they’d probably eat the grass down anyway so you wouldn’t have to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Same here, and to be fair if you had wild horses they’d probably eat the grass down anyway so you wouldn’t have to. 

That's why they wouldn't get him to do it, they want it for themselves. 

It’s not just about the size of the lawn.  It’s also about how tall the grass had gotten.  There’s no way a push mower was going to do the job.  It would have taken a day or so with a scythe just to get it down to where a push mower could work.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

How big are your feckin lawns? 

Wild horses wouldn't get me messing around with an internal combustion engine for anything less than an acre. 

But presumably you’d mess around with an electric mower? Plugging it in, moving the cable out of the way every 2 minutes.
My back garden is roughly the size of an 18 yard box, petrol mower glides through it. It’s far easier than getting the extension lead out, moving the cable (like I have to do with the strimmer for the edges).

When I was a spotty teen in college we adopted a posh kid from up the Vale.

His family had one of those mini tractor stylee sit on mowers. We set up a bit of a course and used to do time trials around his house on it.

You could get the back end to flick out on tight turns on the gravel driveway.

Its a lot less bover with a hover...

There's an art to the cable thing too, it's all in the planning. Start far away and work your way closer to the power point and it really is just a flick of the wrist

Buying a petrolmover just for that seems insane. Having to take a fuel can to the garage, storing the excess fuel blah de blah, increased risk etc cmpared to flicking you wrist to move a cable jeeeez louise!

• Thanks 1

Â