Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

It pisses me off that I've never been any good at knowing street names in city centres. I usually remember one or two of the thoroughfares, but beyond that, if I have to give directions to somebody, I have to describe buildings, pubs or shops. e.g. in Brum, I know New Street, Hill Street and Corporation Street, and that's about it. Colmore Row? Not sure. Yet I could find my way around on foot - I have a good mental 'map' - it's just that I can never remember the actual street names. Admittedly, I haven't lived in Birmingham for nearly fifty years (!), but I'm the same with Leeds, where I have. The Headrow, Briggate, and Vicar Lane - beyond that, I know what they look like, and I've heard and read the names a million times, but if somebody tells me to go to Calverley Street or Park Lane, I have to ask them to describe what buildings are there. 

• Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 17:08, Xela said:

Reading the earlier posts makes me grateful for my boss and our WFH policy. My boss only calls me about once a week and thats only to check I'm still alive! I'm more likely to ring her and have a moan about something. 

Some of the management styles mentioned up the page are terrible. 8am calls, 4:55pm calls, lunchtime zoom meetings. **** right off! 

Yep awful!

We use Sprint/Scrum as we're a development team, so we need daily calls so I can check in with my team but it isn't to check if they're doing work ffs. It's just a 'hey, what's going on today, any blockers etc'.

words removed are words removed, regardless of their job position. Some managers are just words removed with an ounce of power.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Just catching up on MasterChef and got to the final week and the episode where they take the finalists abroad and get them doing different types of cuisine and working with top chefs there. This year, they've taken the contestants to Mauritius.

In the round where they cook with a local top chef and have to do a course each. The one guy tastes his dish ahead of doing it himself and starts going on about how it's elevating the traditional flavours of Mauritius. **** off, he'd never tasted Mauritian food until the day before and probably still couldn't tell you what the 'traditional flavours of Mauritius' were.

I've been to Mauritius for 2 weeks and I couldn't tell you what the flavours of Mauritius are either. Ate at loads of different places and apart from sub par curries I don't really know what their cuisine is :) 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I've been to Mauritius for 2 weeks and I couldn't tell you what the flavours of Mauritius are either. Ate at loads of different places and apart from sub par curries I don't really know what their cuisine is :) 

A mix of Indian, African, Chinese and French cuisine apparently. Most influenced by India it appears. How do I know this? Because the show told me. Probably the same way this Representative for Wellingborough found out.

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

A mix of Indian, African, Chinese and French cuisine apparently. Most influenced by India it appears. How do I know this? Because the show told me. Probably the same way this Representative for Wellingborough found out.

Yep. but they don't seem to have really created anything unique there. I didn't find any dishes that I would say were typically mauritian. Just borrowed from other cuisines.

Sorry I know this isn't what your post was about :D 

55 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I find Grace Dent to be a massive word removed

She is. I despise her. I've moaned about how shit she is before but no harm in reiterating that she's a completely false pretentious word removed. She's a nobody from Oop Norf who used to review soap operas and then somehow got the gig of being a food critic and immediately took on this affected persona of classy 50s inspired 'lady' that is completely absurd and put on. I mean, her **** walk is put on - she 'sashays' about, nose in the air, arm cocked upwards, index and ring fingertips held against her thumb and other fingers slightly splayed, a completely absurd figure that you'd guffaw at if you saw it in a shit movie, but that seems to be how she actually wants to be seen in the world. And then she will throw in some nods to her actually being a nobody from somewhere too close to Manchester by going on ironically about how much she likes some old fashioned common folk food.

She's **** tragic.

• Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 09:02, Xela said:

You don't get the sign up gifts like this anymore!

Midland-1984-18-Smash-Hits-August-30-198

Man that is a blast from the past. Somehow all that bumpf made me feel grown up! Probably had some ad agency doing psychological tests on kids so it was designed to make you feel that way. 

Anyway eventually I defected to the NatWest...

a634469e8537d21086cc41a4ee8ad23d.jpg

Interestingly the last piggy you got looked like a fat capitalist pig. We were being trained early!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Just turned over to BBC 4 and it’s ‘One Hit Wonders’. First up, Peter Sarstedt, who had hits with ‘Where Do You Go To’ and ‘Frozen Orange Juice’.

Yeah, people tend to forget the latter (it was pretty shit, compared to WDYGTML). 

On 06/04/2020 at 19:39, Stevo985 said:

Yep. A friend of my mom’s does this. 

“only geniuses can get 80% on this quiz” and he reposts it saying “I got 10 out of 10!”

blocked

Someone posted a word search just full of the word nowherenowherenowhere through it with the caption 'The first word you see is where you're going on holidays this year'. Fierce clever altogether.

My response 'I guess I'm off to Reno'.

:trollface:

Like this :P

x8s2kzk9i3q41.jpg

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Ads that mock up a zoom screen. Co op one in particular is pissing me off. "Can you hear me?"

Almost as bad as all the banking adverts with shit poetry or, more recently, stand-up 'comedy'. Because they're just so real. **** off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Someone posted a word search just full of the word nowherenowherenowhere through it with the caption 'The first word you see is where you're going on holidays this year'. Fierce clever altogether.

My response 'I guess I'm off to Reno'.

:trollface:

Like this :P

x8s2kzk9i3q41.jpg

Im going to Weeshrnweeo

6 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Almost as bad as all the banking adverts with shit poetry or, more recently, stand-up 'comedy'. Because they're just so real. **** off.

Yes, Nationwide have cornered the market with shit annoying adverts with shit annoying songs/poems/stand up by shit annoying people. It must be a deliberate marketing ploy.

• Like 1

Â