Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I never wore a seat belt when i started driving. Must have done this for 2-3 years. Moronic really. Was involved in two fairly big crashes and luckily was unscathed but looking back, what a dilbert I was!

I wouldn't dream of it now. Even for a short distance. 

The foolishness of youth!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why are you exempt out of interest?

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Taxi driver innit

I assume for safety reasons if a punter decides to attack

is the correct answer

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I knew it!  That’s why I don’t wear one sometimes. I’m a strong believer in fate and those rare times i don’t belt up it’s because my higher self is telling me not to! 

CharlesDarwin-5c2c3d7e46e0fb0001a343e3.j

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a mate who refuses to wear one, even pulls it out and puts it behind him cos the beeper thing goes off. 

Says it’s uncomfortable, ridiculous really but then I guess we all have to channel our rebellious natures some way or another.

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Still to so with driving, a bit of a pet hate of mine.

We go on about saving the planet, protecting the environment, taxing heavy industries, getting McDonalds to offer shitty useless paper straws.

BUT.

I guarantee that if people pulled their head out of their asses and actually started to drive smart we would decrease the carbon footprint caused by road traffic by a considerable margin.

Learn to use your gears to slow down. Keep the distance so you don't have to break. Don't accelerate when you see there is a red light 200 yards ahead. 

Get everyone in the country to get 5mpg more out of their car and we can REALLY contribute to the health of our environment.

The bolded part is almost a literal transcript of me addressing my son lately while I ride with him as he learns to drive.  Are you sure you haven't been eavesdropping?

3 hours ago, BOF said:

A true story which is in no way intended to advocate not using a seatbelt, but offered merely as a curiosity anecdote.  A mate of mine's life was saved because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt once.  They were hooring down a backroad as reckless yoof are wont to do, when they misjudged a turn and the car ended up upside down in a ditch.  Had he not been thrown out the opened door, he'd have been crushed by the collapsed roof.  Ah the fickle hand of fate.

Same thing happened to my friend Steve, he crashed in a van that rolled and he got thrown clear he was going to fast in the wet

The van caught fire, had he been in the vehicle he would have been cooked alive

The Emegency services said he was lucky he he wasn’t wearing his seatbelt as not wearing one was what saved his life

• Like 1

I remember the once a coach came to pick us passengers up one morning instead of a bus, and it had seatbelts and I used the oneon  the seat I was using and thought 'why don't buses have seatbelts?'.

Here's a funny story I read about a guy that didn't wear a seatbelt. He died because he was in a crash and not wearing a seatbelt. Still at least he was comfortable right up to the point of impact. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Here's a funny story I read about a guy that didn't wear a seatbelt. He died because he was in a crash and not wearing a seatbelt. Still at least he was comfortable right up to the point of impact. 

I knew several thousand people that happens to

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Got a mate who refuses to wear one, even pulls it out and puts it behind him cos the beeper thing goes off. 

Says it’s uncomfortable, ridiculous really but then I guess we all have to channel our rebellious natures some way or another.

Wearing a climbing harness is uncomfortable but it would still be **** moronic to climb a rock face without one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, il_serpente said:

The bolded part is almost a literal transcript of me addressing my son lately while I ride with him as he learns to drive.  Are you sure you haven't been eavesdropping?

The bit about slowing down through the gear box is nonsense though, that surely uses more fuel than using the the brake

The using the gears advice is more about smoother driving rather than saving the planet

Putting the car in a lower gear and then forcing it to slow down initially increases the rpm at each stage and each stage downwards progressively uses increasingly more fuel, So it uses far more fuel than breaking and using the clutch, which doesn't increase RPM at all

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, choffer said:

People who pronounce the word tissue with a double-s instead of a sh. 

It’s tishoo, not tiss-ee-yew.

Yeah thats people thinking they know better and being utterly wrong

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

The bit about slowing down through the gear box is nonsense though, that surely uses more fuel than using the the brake

Modern cars ECU shuts off the injection system when you do "engine braking". Basically, the engine runs at a 0.0L/100km fuel consumption when you do. An engine ticking over uses very tiny amounts so I agree that it's not a planet-saver, but it's there.

Id say saving wear on the brakes/pads are a bigger benefit.

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

I'd say not displaying brake lights to vehicles behind is a larger danger. yes any accident is their fault but that doesn't prevent the accident in the first place

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The using the gears advice is more about smoother driving rather than saving the planet

Putting the car in a lower gear and then forcing it to slow down initially increases the rpm at each stage and each stage downwards progressively uses increasingly more fuel, So it uses far more fuel than breaking and using the clutch, which doesn't increase RPM at all

i think the  using gears to brake idea has arisen from confusion over travelling down hill and  putting the car in neutral and coasting  where fuel still  enters the combustion chamber to keep the engine powered   v leaving it in gear and coasting  where the engine will use no fuel at all to power the engine, since the wheels themselves—connected to a transmission—make the engine spin

as an aside the radio this morning talked about changing our fuel to E10 (i think they called it ) next year .... they reckon it will be cleaner fuel compared to the current E5 that we use and reduce CO2 emissions by about 750 ,000 tonnes a year

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Modern cars ECU shuts off the injection system when you do "engine braking". Basically, the engine runs at a 0.0L/100km fuel consumption when you do. An engine ticking over uses very tiny amounts so I agree that it's not a planet-saver, but it's there.

This x100.

What's even worse, and I think there should be cameras monitoring this (or snipers with live ammunition ready to fire) is people breaking on the motorway for no apparent reason.

Cruising at 70, not much traffic, and you see the red break lights on for literally a second - it does nothing that taking your foot off the gas pedal wouldn't, it alarms other drivers and is actually f****** stupid. Why would you want to break is absolutely beyond me and I see no reason for doing so. If you are doing 78 and notice it, just take your foot off the gas for 2 seconds and you will be doing 70.

Unless there is a traffic jam, I see no reason for breaking on the motorway at all. If people kept their distance, kept to the proper lane (I am looking at your all the right lane huggers) and kept the proper speed we could, once again, save about a million polar bears every year. 

Â