Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I only recline if the person in front of me reclines. And even then it's only out of necessity because I'm a big ****. Not gonna lie I don't ask.

Never ever during food (most airlines tell you not to do this now in my experience) and never on a short haul flight.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My biggest pet hate on a plane isn't reclining, it's people using your seat as a handrail when they're getting out of their seat

Mine is when they run out of champagne, or they serve my steak slightly over medium rare  :)

edit - joking apart my biggest pet hate is passengers who don't take their headphones off when the cabin crew attend to them , its damn right rude and ill-mannered  ..if it was my airline , no headphone removal means no food and drink

Short haul  I tend to say Hello to passengers in and around my seat as I sit down , if I have a bag of sweets I often share them with the people on the same row as me  , help them put cases overhead if they are struggling ...  I just find people are  less inclined to act like knob if you've kinda exchanged pleasantries 

I watch other passengers got worked up over a reclining chair with bemusement  , life is too short to be angry about someone reclining their chair a few inches

Edited by tonyh29

Got my renewal quote for my car insurance. Went up by £150 for the year. About £200 more expensive than similar policies with other providers.

Annoying, but it's the usual annual pantomime of ringing up and saying you're leaving and they put the price back down and you carry on with your life.

This time I rang them up.

"Yeah I'd like to cancel my insurance as I can get it cheaper elsewhere blah blah de blah"

"Ok Mr Stephenson, first I'll see if there's anything we can do on the price"

*puts me on hold*

I'm thinking yeah yeah now you come back and it's suddenly cheaper.

"ok mr Stephenson, I've had a look and there's nothing we can do on the price."

"erm... what?"

"We can't offer any discounts"

"Oh. I guess I'll cancel then...?"

"Sure, we haven't taken any instalments for this year so we don't need to refund you. I'll get it all cancelled"

What the ****? Where were the please to keep me? Where were the discounts? What's going on?

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

My biggest pet hate on a plane isn't reclining, it's people using your seat as a handrail when they're getting out of their seat

**** that. If a seat in front of me is hanging over my lower half I can’t stand straight up without something to balance me. A combination of your choice to recline and my pettiness is what causes me to use your chaired leverage rather than my armrest.

No excuse for people who walk along the aisle aggressively manhandling seats. 

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Got my renewal quote for my car insurance. Went up by £150 for the year. About £200 more expensive than similar policies with other providers.

What the ****? Where were the please to keep me? Where were the discounts? What's going on?

You should renew your car insurance exactly 21 days before it runs out to get the best quote   .. Martin Lewis / his company tested this on about 14,000 quotes and the savings were pretty huge

there is some form of industry reasoning behind it , the  evidence suggests the people that renew last minute are more likely to be people that crash their cars apparently

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You should renew your car insurance exactly 21 days before it runs out to get the best quote   .. Martin Lewis / his company tested this on about 14,000 quotes and the savings were pretty huge

there is some form of industry reasoning behind it , the  evidence suggests the people that renew last minute are more likely to be people that crash their cars apparently

I will definitely give this a shot this year.  Even if it doesn't work, it can't be any worse.

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

I will definitely give this a shot this year.  Even if it doesn't work, it can't be any worse.

I googled it on yahoo as originally i just heard it on the radio ,   seems it was millions of quotes they compared , not 14 ,000 .. they gave updated information in Dec to say days 20 to 25

it's all based around risk – buying it three weeks before you need it suggests you're more careful and organised, while leaving it to the last minute means you're seen as higher risk, with some insurers telling us they've seen a direct link between drivers who leave sorting their insurance to the last moment and a higher number of claims.

As for why the super-prepared are being penalised for getting a quote 30 days in advance, it's basically because there are fewer insurers returning quotes at that stage.

12494-Car-Insurance-Optimum-time-to-buy-v5 (002).png.rendition.764.698.png

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Short haul  I tend to say Hello to passengers in and around my seat as I sit down

You talk to strangers? Good grief, what are you... some sort of American? 

(Seriously, yeah, so do I). 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You talk to strangers? Good grief, what are you... some sort of American? 

(Seriously, yeah, so do I). 

:) 

Funny you say that but when i contracted previously at BZW it really was quite stuffy  , very institutionalized you went around to fix someone's PC and you were lucky if they even acknowledged you  ... when they got taken over by CSFB we had a lot of Americans transfer over onto the equities floor  .. When you responded to a call for them , they would get up shake your hand , ask how you were , how were your parents , holiday plans  and quite often run off and get you a cup of coffee  .... 

I just thought it was a better way to be with people ...hence why I kinda talk to strangers ... except on the London underground , that's a capital punishment offence !!  (boom boom)

But the "American way " if you like , is  why I always go out and talk to the maintenance people that visit our office and make them coffee when they come ... and it works , our alarm failed one night, and we couldn't set it , rung Chubb who said as it was outside office hours the on call engineer was a couple of hours away   .. 10 mins later our regular guy turned up , said he'd heard we had a problem, and as he passed our M25 junction on his way home and thought he'd pop in and help us  ...

• Like 2

In terms of plane seats, the problem is that they are too cramped isn't it? The overriding greed of airlines to squeeze as many seats in as possible is to blame. 

I'm 5 foot 8 so i'm generally ok, but for 6 footers it must be hell. 

I think smaller planes that do short haul should have fixed backs and not be able to recline. If you can't sit upright for a couple of hours then you shouldn't be allowed on a flight!

Long haul should have more room. Saying that I never recline as I don't think it makes any difference in the comfort stakes and I never sleep anyway 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Mine is when they run out of champagne, or they serve my steak slightly over medium rare  :)

edit - joking apart my biggest pet hate is passengers who don't take their headphones off when the cabin crew attend to them , its damn right rude and ill-mannered  ..if it was my airline , no headphone removal means no food and drink

Short haul  I tend to say Hello to passengers in and around my seat as I sit down , if I have a bag of sweets I often share them with the people on the same row as me  , help them put cases overhead if they are struggling ...  I just find people are  less inclined to act like knob if you've kinda exchanged pleasantries 

I watch other passengers got worked up over a reclining chair with bemusement  , life is too short to be angry about someone reclining their chair a few inches

The problem with the bolded part, at least in the US, is that most people are so oblivious they haven't a clue that they're doing something knobbish (knobby?) when they go into a full recline during meal service or shake your head violently grabbing on to your seat back and hanging their full weight on it as they get up.  It's going to happen whether you greet them with a glare, a smile, sweets or by polishing their knob, unfortunately.

With that said, I will be reclining with impunity this evening, as my kids will be sitting behind me and we're in first class.  (No, i'm not wealthy, used credit card points to upgrade and the savings on luggage fees nearly offset the additional cost even if not using points).

21 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm of the opinion that seat-back plane rocket polishers are worse than Hitler.  I genuinely hate it when people do it.

Yea, it’s super annoying. Especially when it’s a morning-afternoon flight and you have been on the plane for five minutes. I go out of my way to annoy the hell out of them - as such, I will use the tray for all of my in flight activities. 

I tolerate it on a night flight, if I want to sleep as well. I still don’t put my chair back though. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm 5 foot 8 so i'm generally ok, but for 6 footers it must be hell. 

i’m 6’2 and disproportionately leg, it sucks. I feel sorry for people who are tall to me though, someone 6’7+ must despise planes.

I’ll always try to give someone taller than me space or a seat on the old tubes as people often don’t think that they’re having to tilt their head to one side for 20 minutes like i have to if i’m stuck near the door.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm of the opinion that seat-back plane rocket polishers are worse than Hitler.  I genuinely hate it when people do it.

I think it says a lot about an individual’s personality, it really pisses me off especially because i’m not going to recline to compensate and put the person behind me in that situation.

Having said that on long haul flights where people need to sleep, i wish the default position was 5 degrees further back.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

...or by polishing their knob, unfortunately.

I think this is where you are going wrong. It’s generally frowned upon to go doing that when boarding a flight. No wonder people shake your chair. 

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

**** that. If a seat in front of me is hanging over my lower half I can’t stand straight up without something to balance me. A combination of your choice to recline and my pettiness is what causes me to use your chaired leverage rather than my armrest.

No excuse for people who walk along the aisle aggressively manhandling seats. 

I didn’t mean when I was reclined. I just mean in general. 

You’re say there sleeping and your rudely awakened by the word removed behind you who can’t stand up with out holding your seat

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I took a flight to US this week, person in front of me did exactly this as soon as the fasten seat belt sign went off. I was initially a bit annoyed but there was plenty of room so not a major problem. The problem was later on she put her seat back upright and my arm was aching from having to reach the extra few centimetres to play my game on the screen.

In related news it was a BA flight and the plane and entertainment system was very good. What was incredibly annoying was my kids getting adult meals that they didn’t like (chicken curry, then later on coronation chicken sandwich). I noticed some of the other kids on the fight get child friendly meals, I asked why it was and they said it’s because within the booking app you have to change your children’s meal to a child type meal. Why the fook is a children’s meal not default child type meal on a flight??? Even if that’s the case it wouldn’t hurt them to email or text me to advise me I might want to do it. 
I assume kids meals are about 8p more to make so they try and avoid the extra expense.

• Like 1

Â