Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

52 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

can I take your name  for the cup  ? 

yeah sure no problem   , it's not like your giving them your bank details and permission to sleep with your daughter 

and on the plus side , you get the drink you ordered rather than picking up someone elses made with almond or the latest other fad milk

Logically, yes. But it just offends my old fashioned British reserve. We don't use each other's names until we've been formally introduced and have known each other for a while. OK, I'm parodying a certain attitude, but nonetheless, it all feels a bit too "American-style overfamiliarity" to me. They can just as easily  call out "Chocca mocha double decaff soy milk flat white", or, in my case "Filter coffee". Or I'll just stand at the end of the counter and wait for it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, I refuse to play the corporate game they want you to play, it's the rebel in me. It has nothing to do with what you said

Imagine if you went into a pub and they said can I have a name for your three shandies please? And then a minute later they shout out 3 shandies for cockbreath?

Plus the other people in Starbucks do not need to know my name, so technically every time they do this, it is a data breach but that's just me being belligerent, though I might have a grand plan forming in my head right now to report them to the ICO :trollface:

Give them a fake name. Then you don't need to worry about data breach, or picking up the wrong coffee.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Give them a fake name. Then you don't need to worry about data breach, or picking up the wrong coffee.

I shouldn't need to give them any name to get the right coffee, it's their little bit of corporate bullshit to make you feel connected to them. Don't play the game

Do you give your name when you order a round of drinks in the pub? Of course you don't, it's utterly unnecessary

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Do you give your name when you order a round of drinks in the pub? Of course you don't, it's utterly unnecessary

No, but that's because he hands them directly to me.

If the order was passed to a bloke to make them and then popped on the far end of the bar alongside other orders its a good idea to avoid them getting mixed up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

No, but that's because he hands them directly to me.

If the order was passed to a bloke to make them and then popped on the far end of the bar alongside other orders its a good idea to avoid them getting mixed up.

"A Latte and an espresso" would suffice for that, no name required.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I can't stand either almond or soy milk, I find both have quite an overpowering flavour that dominates a drink. Probably ok in cereals, but I don't eat that shit.

Oat milk is my go to for drinks, just rounds them out nicely without overpowering the drink.

Yep Oat milk for me too. 

Coconut is good in sweet drinks like hot chocolate. Too sweet for tea or coffee though

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, I refuse to play the corporate game they want you to play, it's the rebel in me. It has nothing to do with what you said

Imagine if you went into a pub and they said can I have a name for your three shandies please? And then a minute later they shout out 3 shandies for cockbreath?

Plus the other people in Starbucks do not need to know my name, so technically every time they do this, it is a data breach but that's just me being belligerent, though I might have a grand plan forming in my head right now to report them to the ICO :trollface:

Do you do children's parties?

• Haha 4

Going back to the language topic from a few pages ago..

I speak pretty good Polish now. But i'll go somewhere and my accent won't be perfect and although I'm perfectly capable of holding the entire exchange in Polish, they respond in English.

I've had 5 minute conversations where I'm sticking to Polish and they keep replying in English.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

I shouldn't need to give them any name to get the right coffee, it's their little bit of corporate bullshit to make you feel connected to them. Don't play the game

you said that like you've ever ordered a round in a pub :D

I use an app to order drinks ( and food ) in a lot of pubs  , chances are they know all about my smothering Ana de Armas with peanut butter fetish with the information my phone is giving them .. somehow a coffee shop knowing my name doesn't seem so bad all things considered .

I don't mind decent customer service and if they think a name on a coffee cup  improves that then fine with me  ...  data concerns over having my name  , heck we all give out more PI on villatalk every day

The corporate bullshit I don't like  is when they pester you afterwards asking you how your "experience " was ..i just purchased a cup of coffee ffs   and asking if i could write a review on tripadvisor or whatever ..No  I can't  , sod off  ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

"A Latte and an espresso" would suffice for that, no name required.

maybe they base their model on the expectation that their customers are thick as shit and cant remember their order? or its an attempt to stop you taking other peoples drinks by *mistake*, the server shouts out something that someone else likes the sound of and its gone

numbers is the alternative, like mcdonalds now do

Edited by villa4europe

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

maybe they base their model on the expectation that their customers are thick as shit and cant remember their order? or its an attempt to stop you taking other peoples drinks by *mistake*, the server shouts out something that someone else likes the sound of and its gone

It's an effort to make it seem more personal, which is fine until your name is shouted out by some totally disinterested 19 year old girl who literally couldn't give a shit if you were on fire.

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It might have been a catchy Starbucks thing, personalised order, making it specifically for 'John' or 'Peter'.

Now the key logic behind it is so that you take a picture of the cup with your name and that goes on social media. And that means $$$$$$$$

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I won't drink in cheapskate brexit shitholes :trollface:

I always order gammon , egg and chips and then chuckle to myself   :)

Young's have an app as well , which is useful when i go to the half moon @putney

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It is most definitely an attempt to make you feel part of their "community" and therefore feel at home in their environment and spend more money in their establishments. That is why it is worldwide policy

It should be resisted 

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's an effort to make it seem more personal, which is fine until your name is shouted out by some totally disinterested 19 year old girl who literally couldn't give a shit if you were on fire.

You get what you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It is most definitely an attempt to make you feel part of their "community" and therefore feel at home in their environment and spend more money in their establishments. That is why it is worldwide policy

It should be resisted 

I really think it's just to stop getting your order mixed up.

Like v4e said, it's just like getting a number at McDonalds.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I always order gammon , egg and chips and then chuckle to myself   :)

Young's have an app as well , which is useful when i go to the half moon @putney

Pah, Fullers is better...

No I'm actually lying for the sake of it. I still wouldn't use an app in a pub though. That means someone out there would have access to data on my drinking habits. hell no!

Â