If it was it would be "CAPPUCCINO FOR SMADDYBRACK!?"

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

"Can I take your name for the cup?"

"But there's only me in here"

"I know, but...your name..?"

*1 minutes later*

"CAPPUCCINO FOR PADDYWHACK!?" 

I always point blank refuse to give them my name. None of their business. 

• Like 1

It's the whole coffee adoration society.

I love coffee and drink a lot of it. But somehow, the profession of a coffee maker has become so hipster it is now a 'barista'. Sure, coffee masters of Milan can call themselves that. If you work at Starbucks on M42 you should not call yourself that. I think it's trying to jump on a bandwagon of bartenders becoming 'mixologists'.

I was a cocktail bartender and I'd like to think I can make drinks and I know probably 50 different specs and techniques off the top of my head. At the same time, if someone calls themselves a 'Mixologist' they can fu** right off.

''Baristas'' and ''Mixologists'' should go and re-evaluate their job titles. 

Maybe it's the same phenomenon as the people on the lowest level within massive corporations being called 'Executive Assistant Account Manager'. 

What even is that. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's the whole coffee adoration society.

I love coffee and drink a lot of it. But somehow, the profession of a coffee maker has become so hipster it is now a 'barista'. Sure, coffee masters of Milan can call themselves that. If you work at Starbucks on M42 you should not call yourself that. I think it's trying to jump on a bandwagon of bartenders becoming 'mixologists'.

I occasionally visit a coffee shop which does have proper baristas.

You can choose from a selection of their hand roasted specialty beans, which they grind to order different depending on whcih type of bean/roast you've chosen. A couple of them have competed at the world barista championships, they're really in to the science of it and I've had quite a few interesting conversations with them about improving my home set up. It's a bit wanky if that's not your thing, but if you're really interested in coffee it's worth the premium, these guys really know their shit.

Minimum wage lackeys in Costa/Starbucks serving burnt, mass produced coffee following head office's instructions are not baristas. 

• Like 1

I've said this somewhere else before, after moving to germany and seeing how they do it I think I can understand why coffee shops in the UK are such a big thing

my mom and her fella go to costa maybe 4 or 5 times a week, at home she drinks morrisons own instant coffee granules, she can justify going out for a "nice coffee" because she drinks utter shite coffee the rest of the time

that doesn't happen here, my missus and her family all have posh coffee machines, we're the only one out of her parents and 2 brothers who don't have a machine that grinds beans, her parents drive to luxembourg to buy a months supply of coffee because its cheaper, my office has a bean grinding coffee machine with "fresh" beans every day

add to that the actual time they take to enjoy a coffee rather than running round with a plastic cup, the take away coffee culture is nowhere near as prevalent here, sit down coffee and cake mid afternoon is still a daily thing

what I would say to be fair to them is after visiting costa at xmas for a black forest hot chocolate (the absolute bollocks) is the staff in there don't half put a shift in, it was packed, that is not something id do for minimum wage, it didn't look an easy fun job

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

"Can I take your name for the cup?"

"But there's only me in here"

"I know, but...your name..?"

*1 minutes later*

"CAPPUCCINO FOR PADDYWHACK!?" 

Just say cockfeatures and see what they say then! But then I never use Starbucks, awful coffee 

• Like 1

can I take your name  for the cup  ? 

yeah sure no problem   , it's not like your giving them your bank details and permission to sleep with your daughter 

and on the plus side , you get the drink you ordered rather than picking up someone elses made with almond or the latest other fad milk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, welnik said:

Just say cockfeatures and see what they say then! But then I never use Starbucks, awful coffee 

I guess it would stop them calling my name out, they'd just see me and put two and two together.

• Like 2

Being persuaded by the absolute gibbon serving me last night that the rib eye was a better choice than the usual fillet! 

Several mouthfuls of chewy fat later, I sent it back and asked for the fillet. 

NEVER AGAIN!!!!! 

7 minutes ago, welnik said:

Being persuaded by the absolute gibbon serving me last night that the rib eye was a better choice than the usual fillet! 

Several mouthfuls of chewy fat later, I sent it back and asked for the fillet. 

NEVER AGAIN!!!!! 

Fillet tends to be better quality but Rib eye all the way for me  ..though possibly not the one you describe  above

something magical about a decent bit of fat on meat if cooked well

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah sure no problem   , it's not like your giving them your bank details and permission to sleep with your daughter 

and on the plus side , you get the drink you ordered rather than picking up someone elses made with almond or the latest other fad milk

Nothing wrong with almond milk!

I can't stand either almond or soy milk, I find both have quite an overpowering flavour that dominates a drink. Probably ok in cereals, but I don't eat that shit.

Oat milk is my go to for drinks, just rounds them out nicely without overpowering the drink.

51 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Nah, I refuse to play the corporate game they want you to play, it's the rebel in me. It has nothing to do with what you said

Imagine if you went into a pub and they said can I have a name for your three shandies please? And then a minute later they shout out 3 shandies for cockbreath?

Plus the other people in Starbucks do not need to know my name, so technically every time they do this, it is a data breach but that's just me being belligerent, though I might have a grand plan forming in my head right now to report them to the ICO :trollface:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â