Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I think the science is clear that boxing is more damaging to your brain because of the sheer number of blows to the head. Fights are much longer, knockouts are more common vs the TKOs and submissions that usually end MMA fights. The gloves allow you to keep delivering heavy punches over 12 rounds, long after a bare knuckle boxer would have broken bones in his hand.

But I still prefer boxing as a sport because MMA has normalised a style of fighting which is much more dangerous in a street fight. The “anything goes” mentality just seems to be a licence for psychopaths to go and “train” in the art of kicking the shit out of a floored victim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

From a head trauma perspective boxing is probably worse given you're getting constantly hit in the head with 8-14oz gloves is worse than the lighter gloves in MMA, and especially given MMA gives you more options than punches to the head.

But there's definitely the sense that boxing is more of a 'gentleman's' sport than MMA. Looks less brutal, more rules, generally less blood etc. I'm a massive boxing fan but rarely engage with MMA.

I still remember a guy at school doing "should boxing be banned?" as a topic for his public speaking (we had to do that every year)

He said that evidence suggested that even bare knuckle boxing would actually be safer than boxing with gloves because it would be over far quicker and you wouldn't have the repeated punches like you said.

I have no memory of what the sources were to back it up but it's stuck with me. And makes sense.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I still remember a guy at school doing "should boxing be banned?" as a topic for his public speaking (we had to do that every year)

He said that evidence suggested that even bare knuckle boxing would actually be safer than boxing with gloves because it would be over far quicker and you wouldn't have the repeated punches like you said.

I have no memory of what the sources were to back it up but it's stuck with me. And makes sense.

Bare knuckle is a thing now... Artem Lobov, one of the McGregor stable guys has been in it. Saw some post fight pics, faces in bits with loads of cuts. Seems, like a mental way to earn a living.

Edited by villakram

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I just wish humans would grow out of fighting 'sports'. Can't stand any of them, don't see the appeal. 

The thing is, a lot of people do.

Some of these men and women are very well paid mega stars, nobody is being forced to compete or watch.

Edited by AVFCDAN

22 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Some of these men and women are very well paid mega stars, nobody is being forced to compete or watch.

and horses enjoy running! boxing and martial arts isn't going anywhere and I think martial arts in particular is a great activity for kids and should be encouraged, the problem being a $65 PPV to see how can do the best taekwondo patterns is never going to happen, im actually hopeful it ends up more like tekken! more defined martial arts bases less of the mixed, id love to see a proper taekwondo fighter go up against a proper thai kickboxer and you can see the clash of styles

im more hopeful that formula one gets banned for environmental reasons (not because im an environmentalist just because I have no interest in F1 and think the fallout from it would be incredible)

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and horses enjoy running! boxing and martial arts isn't going anywhere and I think martial arts in particular is a great activity for kids and should be encouraged, the problem being a $65 PPV to see how can do the best taekwondo patterns is never going to happen, im actually hopeful it ends up more like tekken! more defined martial arts bases less of the mixed, id love to see a proper taekwondo fighter go up against a proper thai kickboxer and you can see the clash of styles

im more hopeful that formula one gets banned for environmental reasons (not because im an environmentalist just because I have no interest in F1 and think the fallout from it would be incredible)

Isn't this pretty much how UFC started? And then people quickly realised that sort of hybrid of Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling and Muy Thai was optimal in that sort of setting?

44 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Pretty much where I net out. There's a market for it and no one is forced into it. Fighting shouldn't be banned.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Isn't this pretty much how UFC started? And then people quickly realised that sort of hybrid of Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling and Muy Thai was optimal in that sort of setting?

yeah that's what I always thought, started off as fighters from different backgrounds then people found out what was successful and the styles merged, now its just strikers and ground game, the ground game stuff is boring as **** to me, its almost as bad as boxers clinching

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah that's what I always thought, started off as fighters from different backgrounds then people found out what was successful and the styles merged, now its just strikers and ground game, the ground game stuff is boring as **** to me, its almost as bad as boxers clinching

Pretty much.

It started out with more 'freakshow' fights where you'd have a boxer go against a karate black belt (and get completely destroyed - those fights are genuinely unpleasant, not so much for the damage done but the obvious difference in effectiveness being kinda nasty). That slowly created a hegemony that revealed having a basis in jiu-jitsu or wrestling combined with varied striking was most successful. That then saw jiu-jitsu evolve into Brazilian jiu-jitsu, combining wrestling and strategy into pure jiu-jitsu, and now basically all the top fighters train in BJJ and supplement that with a chosen striking style (muey thai, boxing, kick boxing mostly) or vice versa.

The ground game stuff is the difficult aspect of MMA to get into. You kinda have to appreciate what the fighters are doing and how they're doing it. It's more subtle and slower than the stand up (where is bloody obvious what each is doing if your eyes work). It's the big barrier to entry for the sport, you have to watch and learn the ground game and even then you might never appreciate it because, well, it's kinda dull until someone gets a hold.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty much where I net out. There's a market for it and no one is forced into it. Fighting shouldn't be banned.

I didn't say I thought it should be banned. It just bewilders and disappoints me that it exists. 

It's the flying knees that I can't stand.  How it can be legal to jump up and crack someone in the face with your knee is insane.  That said I do sometimes go down a YouTube rabbit hole watching people getting knocked out so I'm probably part of the problem.

49 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's the flying knees that I can't stand.  How it can be legal to jump up and crack someone in the face with your knee is insane.  That said I do sometimes go down a YouTube rabbit hole watching people getting knocked out so I'm probably part of the problem.

Doesn't happen that often and isn't that effective. It's part of the muay thai style, which makes use knees and elbows, including the far more common behind head clinch pulling the opponent's head down and using the knee.

A solid uppercut or head kick will be as bad, if not worse given a head kick will often get the temple.

The worst thing in MMA will always be the Pride grounded kicks. You could basically take a penalty kick on a guys head. For all of the criticism of UFC, they're quite good on legislating for the more the dangerous stuff - grounded fighters have protection against kicks, the 12-6 elbow isn't allowed, etc etc.

• Like 3

'Hi, can I have a medium flat white please?'

'Sorry we only do Regular or Large'

'... Can I have a regular flat white please?'.

I assume they do this because it makes you more likely to buy the large, but it irritates me more than it should.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

'Hi, can I have a medium flat white please?'

'Sorry we only do Regular or Large'

'... Can I have a regular flat white please?'.

I assume they do this because it makes you more likely to buy the large, but it irritates me more than it should.

This. If there are two sizes, they should be called 'small' and 'large'. If there are three, 'small', 'medium' and 'large'. 'Regular' is simply an Americanism for 'medium'. 

Don't get me started on 'vente' and 'grande' and the like. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't get me started on 'vente' and 'grande' and the like. 

I recently discovered "vente" referred to the cup being 20 ounces in size (apparently on some secret menu there's a "trente" but I''m yet to find somewhere that sells it, or whether I'd be willing to see what happens after 30oz of coffee).  I still ask them for a large out of spite mind.

Â