AVFCforever1991

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

That BBC Bitesize ad, where the kid doing his homework asks his parents: "Why do we have day and night?" - and they look completely baffled and shrug. What parent couldn't answer that? 

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That BBC Bitesize ad, where the kid doing his homework asks his parents: "Why do we have day and night?" - and they look completely baffled and shrug. What parent couldn't answer that? 

Not seen that ad. 

I suppose if they answered “Well, because the Earth turns of course”, the kid could then say “Ok...why does it turn?”. Then have the confused look between mum and dad.

I think it’s probably more believable that the parents might not immediately have an answer to that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not seen that ad. 

I suppose if they answered “Well, because the Earth turns of course”, the kid could then say “Ok...why does it turn?”. Then have the confused look between mum and dad.

I think it’s probably more believable that the parents might not immediately have an answer to that one.

That would have been a better ad. When one of my kids was about four or so she asked me "Where does water come from?" I wondered whether an explanation of the rainfall/evaporation cycle was a bit too much, but had a go anyway. She certainly listened carefully, and I think took in at least the basic idea. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That would have been a better ad. When one of my kids was about four or so she asked me "Where does water come from?" I wondered whether an explanation of the rainfall/evaporation cycle was a bit too much, but had a go anyway. She certainly listened carefully, and I think took in at least the basic idea. 

They take it in and they remember the most random of things you’ve told them.

Turns out a decade after that very question, my nipper took the answer on board as an absolute fact. That the clouds rain on the hills, it trickles down streams and river and out to sea and evaporates in to clouds that rain again on those hills and mountains again.

Apparently, I’m now told, that answer confused her for years as she knew from her own experience that it rains on the beach.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Not half a hole?

"Fools! They know not how much more the half is than the whole." (Hesiod)

48 minutes ago, snowychap said:

"Fools! They know not how much more the half is than the whole." (Hesiod)

”Am I the half that's half and half or am I the half that's whole” (McCulloch)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

”Am I the half that's half and half or am I the half that's whole” (McCulloch)

I'd be doing you and me a disservice by claiming to know the reference and/or the source, Bicks. :blush:

Edited by snowychap

5 hours ago, snowychap said:

I'd be doing you and me a disservice by claiming to know the reference and/or the source, Bicks. :blush:

Echo and the Bunnymen

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

I didn't recognise the lyric, but I know what Bicks likes and I know that the Bunnymen frontman (frontbunny?) was called Ian McCulloch. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I didn't recognise the lyric, but I know what Bicks likes and I know that the Bunnymen frontman (frontbunny?) was called Ian McCulloch. 

I really wanted him to be quoting Jimmy McCulloch from Wings :D

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I really wanted him to be quoting Jimmy McCulloch from One in a Million, Thunderclap Newman and Stone the Crows, amongst others :D

FTFY

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

"Where does water come from?"

Outer space. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

Outer space. 

Strictly speaking, from stars.

The fact that when I'm jogging past someone's drive it always seems to be the 0.0001% of the day that a car is pulling off it.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

The fact that when I'm jogging past someone's drive it always seems to be the 0.0001% of the day that a car is pulling off it.

I hope they have the courtesy to reverse enough to let you pass. I always do that if I'm the driver. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I hope they have the courtesy to reverse enough to let you pass. I always do that if I'm the driver. 

Ah but you know runners etiquette.  I'd do the same, but many don't.

Technically the car is crossing the pavement anyway so the pedestrian should have right of way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Ah but you know runners etiquette.  I'd do the same, but many don't.

Yep. I always give 'em a smile and a thumbs up. 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 15:02, A'Villan said:

Fair enough.

You might be right, I think I see where you are coming from at least.

Sentimental gestures are not going to bring these people back, they're not going to wash away the pain, and sometimes they aren't even genuine.

So I think I do see your point.

However sometimes it's nice to know you're not all alone in this world, and sometimes a thoughtful gesture can go along way.

Sometimes even the notion that there's a man in the sky that you can speak to and ask for help is comforting for some people.

I agree with this, quite strongly. The thing that is offensive about 'thoughts and prayers' is its use as a disingenuous phrase uttered in the context of the aftermath of gun violence instead of taking any action whatsoever to reduce the problem. Not the concept of somebody thinking of you and hoping you're okay. 

• Like 1

Â