Jump to content
AVFCforever1991

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

Recommended Posts

Got stuck in traffic in Solihull this morning. I could see Plod had blocked off the main road so knew it was serious.

Turns out a woman got hit by a bus and died at the scene.

The thing that pisses me off about it...Facebook's Solihull Updates reported this incident, I was appalled to see how many British people now find it "helpful" to send "thoughts and prayers".

Thought and prayers do **** all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Got stuck in traffic in Solihull this morning. I could see Plod had blocked off the main road so knew it was serious.

Turns out a woman got hit by a bus and died at the scene.

The thing that pisses me off about it...Facebook's Solihull Updates reported this incident, I was appalled to see how many British people now find it "helpful" to send "thoughts and prayers".

Thought and prayers do **** all.

I disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I disagree.

You're in a minority on this forum then ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

You're in a minority on this forum then ;)

Fair enough.

You might be right, I think I see where you are coming from at least.

Sentimental gestures are not going to bring these people back, they're not going to wash away the pain, and sometimes they aren't even genuine.

So I think I do see your point.

However sometimes it's nice to know you're not all alone in this world, and sometimes a thoughtful gesture can go along way.

Sometimes even the notion that there's a man in the sky that you can speak to and ask for help is comforting for some people.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Fair enough.

You might be right, I think I see where you are coming from at least.

Sentimental gestures are not going to bring these people back, they're not going to wash away the pain, and sometimes they aren't even genuine.

So I think I do see your point.

However sometimes it's nice to know you're not all alone in this world, and sometimes a thoughtful gesture can go along way.

Sometimes even the notion that there's a man in the sky that you can speak to and ask for help is comforting for some people.

FWIW, I agree with you. 

Even though the "thoughts and prayers" rhetoric has been diluted by the gun crimes in the USA, for a one-off, local incident in Solihull, it's actually quite sweet that strangers have taken the time to send a simple, compassionate message of support to the family and friends of the person who's died. 

I'm not religious, but you don't know the people who are affected by it aren't.  

When the family look back in 15 years time, there may be children who are adults who will see the messages and take great pride in the person who has been lost. 

It's a shame, a horrible shame. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find 'thoughts and prayers' a bit insulting personally. It often comes across disingenuous.

That is also based on my own experience of my mum having a ruptured aneuryism in her brain when I was a teenager and my uncle constantly talking about praying for her with his church and telling my family it would help if we did too. So yeah, maybe I'm a bit led by my own personal experiences.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I find 'thoughts and prayers' a bit insulting personally. I find it's often a bit disingenuous.

That is also based on my own experience of my mum having a ruptured aneuryism in her brain when I was a teenager and my uncle constantly talking about praying for her with his church and telling my family it would help if we did too. So yeah, maybe I'm a bit led by my own personal experiences.

I'd say so.

But I'm sorry to hear about your mom, that's awful. 

A really good friend of mine lost his mum in January this year from an aortic aneurysm.  Went to bed fine and dandy, never woke up.  Husband didn't hear or feel a thing. 

Absolutely terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd say so.

But I'm sorry to hear about your mom, that's awful. 

A really good friend of mine lost his mum in January this year from an aortic aneurysm.  Went to bed fine and dandy, never woke up.  Husband didn't hear or feel a thing. 

Absolutely terrible. 

Much appreciated, but I've had near enough 2 decades to get used to it.

We didn't lose my mum, but she has been in a care home ever since. She only survived as she happened to be in the hospital at the time having a follow up for a brain tumour.

I'm sure you can understand why on a personal level being told prayer will help is a bit frustrating! Admittedly this is different than a stranger offering a comment to acknowledge someone else's suffering, but I've never really been one for polite small talk either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2019 at 11:02, bickster said:

Are you scared of kettles too?

He feels out of his element.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Much appreciated, but I've had near enough 2 decades to get used to it.

We didn't lose my mum, but she has been in a care home ever since. She only survived as she happened to be in the hospital at the time having a follow up for a brain tumour.

I'm sure you can understand why on a personal level being told prayer will help is a bit frustrating! Admittedly this is different than a stranger offering a comment to acknowledge someone else's suffering, but I've never really been one for polite small talk either!

I understand completely, it's patronising what you're uncle has said, like your prayers may make your mum better.. it's nonsense. 

We're mechanical and if something goes wrong somewhere, as it can, the affects can be minimal, or mega, short term or life long.  Closing your eyes and talking to God can't change it.  Science could, potentially though - albeit too late for your mum I imagine :( 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to dig myself a hole and jump in head first by saying this..

But some of the dogmatic thinking in recent posts is almost worship in it's own form.

Edited by A'Villan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I understand completely, it's patronising what you're uncle has said, like your prayers may make your mum better.. it's nonsense. 

We're mechanical and if something goes wrong somewhere, as it can, the affects can be minimal, or mega, short term or life long.  Closing your eyes and talking to God can't change it.  Science could, potentially though - albeit too late for your mum I imagine :( 

 

As long as science gets to a point in my lifetime that I can pay to be cryogenically frozen and wake up when it's the proper future (flying cars, transit tubes, sentient robots etc) then I reckon I can forgive it!

When you consider that there are animals that regrow limbs (as a pretty standard example) and way weirder and more wonderful things are being found in newly discoverd species (particularly deep sea) it makes you realise if we can understand and harness some of these processes there are going to be some incredible advances in our lifetimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'm going to dig myself a hole and jump in head first by saying this..

But some of the dogmatic thinking in recent posts is almost worship in it's own form.

Do you need a dogma to be dogmatic?

I've never understood religion, but am very careful to not be disparaging of others who are religious. This is in no way because I'm one of those people who think maybe there is something out there, it's just a matter of respect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Prayers do **** all and is the sign of latent mental illness.

Snap judgements of mental illness are always linked to a retarded use of grammar.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I'm going to dig myself a hole and jump in head first by saying this..

But some of the dogmatic thinking in recent posts is almost worship in it's own form.

No it isn't, it's nothing remotely like worship (which is one of the most bizarre and loathesome concepts ever invented). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â