Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

No sport should be as complicated as Cricket.

I always maintained that football is the most popular sport in the world because it's the easiest sport. You don't need nets, bats, ice rinks, pools, any equipment.

You just kick stuff and whoever gets more goals wins. 

It's perfectly simple; the team with the most 'runs' win. Then there's something to do with 'innings', 'overs' and 'wickets'.

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

It's perfectly simple; the team with the most 'runs' win. Then there's something to do with 'innings', 'overs' and 'wickets'.

please don't forget spin bowlers (do they have to spin?!) during power play (wtf?) in a test (call it a match for the love of God, it's not a chemistry questionnaire in year 10) 

15 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

No sport should be as complicated as Cricket.

I always maintained that football is the most popular sport in the world because it's the easiest sport. You don't need nets, bats, ice rinks, pools, any equipment.

You just kick stuff and whoever gets more goals wins. 

And you don't have to stop just because it's raining, ffs.

10 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

innings = your go at batting

overs = 1 over = 6 throws of the ball

wickets = how many times the batsmen are out. 1 wicket = 1 batsman gone.  8 wickets = 8 batsmen gone. 

You can win a game by "x" wickets, because that's how many batsmen you have left (after the one you didn't get out). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I'll throw a small, hard ball at you at up to 100 mph and see how well you do. 

People have died being hit by a cricket ball, it's a dangerous sport.  

It's annoying as hell when the drizzle turns into rain and the covers come out, but at least people aren't dying. 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

It's annoying as hell when the drizzle turns into rain and the covers come out, but at least people aren't dying. 

I don't think he was saying they should carry on through the rain, he meant compared to football, where you can carry on.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I don't think he was saying they should carry on through the rain, he meant compared to football, where you can carry on.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/10/boca-juniors-river-plate-copa-libertadores-final-1st-leg-match-report   

The first leg of the Copa Libertadores final, set to be a Superclásico derby between Boca Juniors and River Plate, has been postponed after heavy rain made the pitch at Boca’s La Bombonera stadium unplayable. The game will now be played on Sunday with a 4pm (9pm GMT) kick-off time.

:P   

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm sure people have died playing chess, and Cricket would most likely not make the 100 most dangerous sports list.

It's simply a thing that pisses you off that shouldn't. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

What's a 5-fer. Pretend I am a 6 year old that knows nothing about cricket. 

Also known by those of us who play/ed the game as a "Michelle".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Difficult to bounce a ball in a puddle or a sodden pitch, a bit like they go off in tennis as well.  I'm not so sure why they go off in baseball when it rains though as it doesn't have to bounce before the batter hits it. 

I'd be surprised if there aren't more deaths in cricket than any other sport bar motor sports and perhaps rugby. 

Edited by sharkyvilla

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

But you do you know of anyone dying as a result of playing chess?

Vladimir Bagirov (1936-2000)

Efim Bogoljubov (1889-1952) 

Ed Edmundson (1920-1982)

Aivars Gipslis (1937-2000)

Paul Leonhardt (1877-1934)

Cecil Purdy (1906-1979)

Vladimir Simagin (1919-1968) 

Gideon Stahlberg (1908-1967)

Johann Zukertort (1842-1888)

Bloody hell, the game should carry a health warning!

NSFW, (a group of people, grinding on top of a bus stop).

The replies. 

I don't know why I bother quite honestly.  Even as a 32 year old, I find the responses terrifying.

I think what they're doing is pretty **** stupid, but people saying the entire festival was a failure, and Khan is encouraging this are so wide of the mark it's untrue.  They can't actually believe it. 

And it's all stirred by that dickhead (who apparently had sex in a field..), who puts the focus on it. 

Amazing how many hill billy Americans are having their say as well.  

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Vladimir Bagirov (1936-2000)

Efim Bogoljubov (1889-1952) 

Ed Edmundson (1920-1982)

Aivars Gipslis (1937-2000)

Paul Leonhardt (1877-1934)

Cecil Purdy (1906-1979)

Vladimir Simagin (1919-1968) 

Gideon Stahlberg (1908-1967)

Johann Zukertort (1842-1888)

Bloody hell, the game should carry a health warning!

You forgot the greatest of them all, Bobby Fischer.

They all say he was completely bonkers, despite being the greatest chess player of all time.

Then it turns out that the FBI did actually spy on him in the process of investigating his mother for a KGB connection.

Hoover thought Russia wanted to recruit him or some business like that.

Poor soul. He just wants to play chess and he's got the FBI running game on him.

Â