Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I remember my daughter playing me "Up the Bracket" and asking me what I thought. My assessment was: "It's like a cross between The Kinks and The Clash. But not as good as either". 

She went away and listened to The Kinks and The Clash, and agreed with me. 

I'd agree with the clash not so much the kinks

Libertines were a hugely important band but the appeal of them is even harder to explain than oasis :lol: after britpop they sounded so fresh, like punk mk2 but at the same time the buzz they were creating online, guerilla gigs, free music, samples, talking to fans etc etc they were the first for many, no one had done it like that before, paved the way for the indie disco resurgence of the 00s, my early 20s snobs was incredible in them days, I dont think they've stood the test of time though, strokes for a start now sounds better, good band for comparisons 

And @Genie there is one common oasis t-shirt, sky blue with the original logo on it, it's boring as **** and not a good t-shirt, the only band t-shirt I've still got is an oasis dig out your soul t-shirt with the later logo, love that design, my mates got 2 or 3 American tour tshirts, all of them great looking 

• Like 1

I bought the first Libertines album purely because I liked the album cover. It just looked like it was going to be good, and it was very good. Their second album is mostly shite though. Another thing with The Libertines they always made the headlines and newspapers like Oasis. The media weren’t as kind to The Libertines though, because Pete was a junkie.

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thing is, the bit of the Clash they sound like is the shit second album "Give 'em Enough Rope"

Doesn't matter, there were some albums I liked at the time like parachutes, Travis the invisible band, doves last broadcast, phonics jeep, I loved chili peppers by the way but you can just see straight away how different Libertines and strokes were

Complete breath of fresh air, timing was everything for the libs

After a couple of years of the 1975 being considered our best band I'd say its a good time for another one 

Just seen some clips on The One Show of the new Dad's Army episodes (made from the scripts of the three 'lost' shows). And, surprisingly, they look bloody brilliant. But what channel are they being shown on? Gold. Why the hell not the BBC? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Why the hell not the BBC? 

It doesn't contain z-ist 'celebs' skating, dating, cooking or dancing.

BBC doesn't do sitcoms now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I don’t own any of them but there’s that film t-shirt company that does film references rather than film posters (“last exit to nowhere” I think?). So for instance, you have a t-shirt that has “The Overlook Hotel” rather than “The Shining”, or an “Amity Island” tourist board advert as opposed to “Jaws”.  I think that extra bit of detail makes it more interesting.

Following a conversation I had at work last week I might have to get a "Sausage King of Chicago" T-shirt made up. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And @Genie there is one common oasis t-shirt, sky blue with the original logo on it, it's boring as **** and not a good t-shirt, the only band t-shirt I've still got is an oasis dig out your soul t-shirt with the later logo, love that design, my mates got 2 or 3 American tour tshirts, all of them great looking 

Bildergebnis für oasis dig out your soul tour tshirt

that's the one I've got, this is the one commonly available

Bildergebnis für oasis tshirt

boring as **** that one, can see why no one wears it anymore

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If it's a form can it not be required ? If it's important they shouldn't have the option to not fill in and waste your time.

It's not a form, the team just send me an email. Its bloody simple. The device has been removed from the "Pub Name" in -> "Suburb" (they missed this bit out). The pub name is very common and we have three by the same name in the network. So I was clueless as to which one had been removed. Making a form for this would be a silly waste of time but it looks like we might have to!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I have a really tough one. Could go into the relationship thread too but I think here for starters...

I moved to Poland 4/5 years ago, mostly because I came to visit a friend here, who had met a girl and was staying. I liked the lifestyle, hated my job in the UK and thought '**** it, why not?' Years later I'm still here. Me and this guy were mates before, but not super close. Now, after these years, I'd say the guy is comfortably my best mate.

Fast forward to now, and he's engaged and he's getting married next June. 

We spend a lot of time hanging out, and he alluded to (neither of us can 100% say whether he said definitively) me being his Best Man. My feeling was strong enough that I was planning the Stag, speech whatever. We've talked about it 5/6 times easily.

Last week, he pings me on Messenger and tells me his best man will be some guy from the UK that I've never heard him mention nor talk about, basically because 'it would be weird and would upset people if I didn't go with someone from this group'. Context, he has a group of mates from his High School days that he sees once a year when they all come to Poland together and this one guy organises the trip. That's all of the reasoning he gave me.

I'm hurt more than anything, but also pissed off at his logic. For me, a Best Man should be there to help and organise things to take stress away from the couple. How can this guy do that when he's in another country? He's also talking about removing the speech due to logistics (Polish/English) where when we talked about me being Best Man, I said I'd do it in both languages. In the same conversation he broke this news to me, he was asking for my help with the Stag. I was, perhaps unfairly, blunt and told him to discuss it with his Best Man. 

In addition, I've always tried to support him with his relationship. Him and his fiancee have been together for 5 years and still don't live together because both sets of prevents don't approve of living together before marriage. I've both him how batshit crazy this is and he always palms me off. I don't think he's making a mistake getting married to her, but he's taking a huge risk with this living together thing. Being a best friend isn't just pandering and saying he's right.

Also, he's been telling me things about the wedding. His fiancee wants a fully Polish wedding, rather than bits from both cultures. That would be fine, but he's upsetting his parents by doing this as they won't sit on the top table with the couple. Apparently her parents would find it 'weird', so that's that, both sets of parents will sit at random tables. One example, but stupid and he's rolling over. I've, again, told him to stand up to her as this could be his only wedding day and he's letting her 100% have her way, to the detriment of his, and his parents' happiness.

Not really looking for advice, just wanted to vent. I'm hurt by the whole situation and I think he's making some big mistakes.

I started reading this thinking you were banging your mate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My car died on they way back from Cardiff the other week and I've had to scrap it.

Whilst sat in it waiting for the tow truck to take it away for good, I noticed the mileage was 90,003.

Not only had I missed it hit 90,000, but it didn't have the decency to die on a nice, round figure.

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

My car died on they way back from Cardiff the other week and I've had to scrap it.

Whilst sat in it waiting for the tow truck to take it away for good, I noticed the mileage was 90,003.

Not only had I missed it hit 90,000, but it didn't have the decency to die on a nice, round figure.

What car dies at 90,000 miles? Thats either been clocked or it was a shitter than shit car

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

What car dies at 90,000 miles? Thats either been clocked or it was a shitter than shit car

image.jpeg.7c526c91dd7d686c5320bdd5afbb9a11.jpeg

Without the slight flare on the 20 inch capable wheel arches,  it wouldn't be as good.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

image.jpeg.7c526c91dd7d686c5320bdd5afbb9a11.jpeg

Without the slight flare on the 20 inch capable wheel arches,  it wouldn't be as good.

My next door neighbour actually has one of those in his garage, same colour too. He cleans it every Sunday and puts it back in the garage. I've never seen him drive it anywhere

At least it isn't the Vanden Plas Estate, the car that the chasis buckled if you towed it and boy did they need towing

• Haha 1

Â