Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Most of these bands being mentioned will be signed to major labels anyway and probably won't even have full control over how their music sounds, so some will view them has having sold out, regardless of whether their merchandise is being sold at Urban Outfitters or not.

Edited by useless

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you've entirely missed the point of the post, it isn't about people wearing apparel emblazoned with designs by a band they don't actually like

It's about the sell out nature of the bands themselves, in this instance, The Sex Pistols, New Order and The Libertines

I'll answer that. 

Because, the bands mentioned are sub-culture (pop), their audience is the then and now, there is no scope for a punk band to get massive, because society won't allow it. 

Proper punk bands have a 5 year life, and successful ones will retire/dine out on it.

A guaranteed income 40 years after my last album came out?  Yes please - at least I won't have to do Utterly Butterly adverts again! 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

A guaranteed income 40 years after my last album came out?  Yes please - at least I won't have to do Utterly Butterly adverts again! 

I doubt Lydon gets a penny from the GSTQ shirt btw. It'll be Virgin / Jamie Reid who have any rights on that one

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Up the Bracket by Libertines is one of my favourite albums ever

I remember my daughter playing me "Up the Bracket" and asking me what I thought. My assessment was: "It's like a cross between The Kinks and The Clash. But not as good as either". 

She went away and listened to The Kinks and The Clash, and agreed with me. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I remember my daughter playing me "Up the Bracket" and asking me what I thought. My assessment was: "It's like a cross between The Kinks and The Clash. But not as good as either". 

She went away and listened to The Kinks and The Clash, and agreed with me. 

I got pissed up with Gary, the drummer from The Libertines, after they'd played at the Rock im Park festival in Nuremberg.

Turned out he was born in Birmingham and his Mom was a nurse in the maternity ward at Good Hope at the time I was born there.

Small world.

• Like 3

I don’t really wear many band t-shirts, I have one pink floyd one from years ago. I wouldn’t wear a t-shirt of a band if I wasn’t keen on their music. Even if the image was interesting or iconic. I don’t want to get into a conversation about Lou Reed because I have that Velvet Underground yellow banana album cover on my t-shirt.

But if you do, then great, each to their own.

I don’t own any of them but there’s that film t-shirt company that does film references rather than film posters (“last exit to nowhere” I think?). So for instance, you have a t-shirt that has “The Overlook Hotel” rather than “The Shining”, or an “Amity Island” tourist board advert as opposed to “Jaws”.  I think that extra bit of detail makes it more interesting.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I don’t own any of them but there’s that film t-shirt company that does film references rather than film posters (“last exit to nowhere” I think?). So for instance, you have a t-shirt that has “The Overlook Hotel” rather than “The Shining”, or an “Amity Island” tourist board advert as opposed to “Jaws”.  I think that extra bit of detail makes it more interesting.

And probably helps them avoid any awkward IP infringement notices from those pesky lawyers!

• Haha 1

Saw someone wearing a snazzy Sonic Youth 'Goo' shirt not long ago, unsure if it was from a primark or whatever, but it struck me as a good t shirt regardless of any interest in the band. In America, Hot Topic's best selling shirts for a long time were for Bullet Club and their associated members (wrestling faction, not a band) and it wasn't because of wrestling. I believe there's similar snobbery from some people with that, as some folk demand knowledge of the particulars of PuroResu if you dare to wear a shirt relating to it, some weird 'ownership' members of fandoms have of things I guess. I think it's a bit weird. On the other hand, I'd really like a conversation struck up by my recently purchased Jun Kasai shirt.

I've overheard one woman at work explain three times to different people why the new 'live-action' Lion King is nowhere near as good as the original cartoon version. This is fine, but she's started each explanation with "I've never seen either of them, but..."

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, hogso said:

Saw someone wearing a snazzy Sonic Youth 'Goo' shirt not long ago,

I kinda understand why with that. I think you'd buy the t-Shirt for the image whilst not realising Sonic Youth were actually a band

It is however a really good album

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I got pissed up with Gary, the drummer from The Libertines, after they'd played at the Rock im Park festival in Nuremberg.

Turned out he was born in Birmingham and his Mom was a nurse in the maternity ward at Good Hope at the time I was born there.

Small world.

i got offered a last min ticket to watch the Libertines in 2004 at the Carling academy (just looked it up as couldn't remember when it was). I turned it down as I was in my suit and it was about 5pm and didn't want the hassle of going home and coming back into town after changing. The lad who offered me his spare went on his own, had a cracking night and ending up boozing with the band afterwards. Not sure if I was lucky or not! May have ended up with a skag habit! 

• Like 2

Â