AVFCforever1991

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

Just now, bickster said:

Ok shall I change it too...  and you know which massively unprofitable global "transportation" sorry tech company made that particular item of bullshit as prominent as it is today don't you

Dunno maybe. I’m still not sure it’s true. 

The term “Side hustle” has been around for a loooooong time although I’d say it’s a bit of an Americanism. 

Maybe Uber has popularised it a bit more over here but it’s not a new phrase.

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I guarantee my daughter has bought this nonsense. She is popping over in a minute. I will ask her. 

Where did you go wrong? Not too late to request a paternity test. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Meet the Good Karma Yogi

hungry yogi bear GIF by Boomerang Official

One of my most vivid early memories as a child is of my Dad pointing to Yogi Bear at Universal Studios and shouting 'Yabba-dabba-doo' at him.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There is no such thing. There are 'jobs' and there are 'second jobs'. I have a job; it's not fun, it's not daring, it's not risque, it's just a job. This term is a deliberate attempt to make job insecurity 'cool' or 'glamorous' and it's complete bullshit. 

Is it?

i think it’s just a slang term for a second job. I don’t really see the issue. 

52 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I guarantee my daughter has bought this nonsense. She is popping over in a minute. I will ask her. 

Yes "as they tend to have free crystals with them" 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is it?

i think it’s just a slang term for a second job. I don’t really see the issue. 

In many cases the "side hustle" is replacing others actual jobs, so yes and because it's a "side hustle" those doing it don't give a shit about their employment status or their lack of minimum wage

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

In many cases the "side hustle" is replacing others actual jobs, so yes and because it's a "side hustle" those doing it don't give a shit about their employment status or their lack of minimum wage

Fair enough. Maybe the new usage has passed me by. 

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yes "as they tend to have free crystals with them" 

You have my deepest sympathy. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There is no such thing. There are 'jobs' and there are 'second jobs'. I have a job; it's not fun, it's not daring, it's not risque, it's just a job. This term is a deliberate attempt to make job insecurity 'cool' or 'glamorous' and it's complete bullshit. 

I disagree, because some people actually have a "side hustle". 

So for example a girl in my office is an accountant.   She works full-time as an accountant and gets paid well for it. 

She also has a side-hustle selling pieces of logs (from trees) as decorative items.  She makes around £1000 a year from her side hustle.  She does it for fun, rather than the income.  

PS - I'm not disagreeing with being pissed off when someone is doing an actual job and the media is calling it a side hustle.   Just pointing out that people do have side-hustles as well in some cases.

Edited by ender4

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Another example of a real side hustle - my brother-in-law is a full-time dentist and earns well over 6 figures annually. 

He also has a side-hustle of buying random dental stuff in bulk and selling it individually on Ebay at a profit. 

No idea how much he makes from it, but i doubt its more that a couple of thousand a year.    Again, its a true example of a side-hustle, that he does because he enjoys it.  

PS - I'm not disagreeing with being pissed off when someone is doing an actual job and the media is calling it a side hustle.  Just pointing out that people do have side-hustles as well in some cases.

Edited by ender4

49 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Another example of a real side hustle - my brother-in-law is a full-time dentist and earns well over 6 figures annually. 

The implication of this is that his real job is a hustle. On that basis, I'd be wary of choosing him as my dentist.

Obviously your previous example of accountancy might be a truer 'hustle'. :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

One to add to "dropped": 

"Curated" (in any context other than museums and art galleries). 

Hipster Records have dropped a new vinyl of deep cuts curated by DJ W*nker. 

• Like 2

Whilst we're at it, "reach out" for contacted. 

As in: "Sorry you are disappointed, please reach out to our super lovely Customer Service team..."

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whilst we're at it, "reach out" for contacted. 

As in: "Sorry you are disappointed, please reach out to our super lovely Customer Service team..."

Reaching out is the new touching base. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

Reaching out is the new touching base. 

These are the only people that should be allowed to Reach out

Spoiler

• Like 4

This might be one for the often wonder thread, but either works. 

When did starting a spoken sentence with “So...” become so common!? Has it always been a thing because I’ve really started to notice it more and more recently. The “so” always seems to be drawn out for a second or two longer than normal as well. 

E.g. “What are your plans for this weekend?”

”Sooo...I’m a massive word removed so I’ll be off being a word removed somewhere and saying so before a sentence all the time”. 

• Like 1

Â