Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm getting the impression that Welsh is pretty much 'make it up as you go along'. 

They're running out of letters because they went mental with the L's and that

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm getting the impression that Welsh is pretty much 'make it up as you go along'. 

They have 136 words for "English bastards" though.

Probably.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

It amazes me how people in the UK, no more than 10-15 miles apart can sound so different. Even around here, the obvious in the Birmingham and Black Country accents. Up in Lichfield, a few miles north of me they speak in a Staffs accent. 

Being relatively local, we can generally pick up the differences, but I find that to those further afield it all gets filed under “Brummie” or “sounds a bit like Noddy Holder/Lenny Henry/Ozzy”.

My ex (Irish born, Bristol raised) and her friends are all of the belief I have a brummie accent despite having never lived in Birmingham. I’ve had “Oh I arrived into New Street and everyone sounded exactly like you” sort of comments.

Same principle but extrapolated, I remember chatting to these American girls while on holiday in Mexico, and to their ears me and my mates sounded exactly like this other group of lads from Barnsley. Couldn’t hear the difference.

Of course, I assume these subtle nuances apply to accents everywhere.

18 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am learning Dutch.  Same sort of thing,  it's all over the place.

As my father used to say, Dutch is not so much a language as a disease of the throat.

• Haha 2

When you quote an earlier page and there's no indication that the reply took and it doesn't reload the page with your reply added at the bottom to give you visual confirmation, so you hit Reply again....

Edited by il_serpente
  • Haha 1

The email self appreciation society at work...

One of the trainers will send an email to the staffing email group (Board of Directors, Managers, IT, Admin & Supervisors), to say we have new staff who have passed their training. They need to do this so wages, fobs, access etc can be sorted out. there are a number of individuals who send emails, very soon after that solely contain messages like...

Well Done to all Concerned!

Excellent News!

Brilliant!

Always sent by the same small group of people who waste the oxygen they breathe because they think it gets them noticed. It gets them noticed as having eff all better to do.

We've started to gamble on which one of them replies first, it's as predictable as rain in Manchester

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Being relatively local, we can generally pick up the differences, but I find that to those further afield it all gets filed under “Brummie” or “sounds a bit like Noddy Holder/Lenny Henry/Ozzy”.

My ex (Irish born, Bristol raised) and her friends are all of the belief I have a brummie accent despite having never lived in Birmingham. I’ve had “Oh I arrived into New Street and everyone sounded exactly like you” sort of comments.

Same principle but extrapolated, I remember chatting to these American girls while on holiday in Mexico, and to their ears me and my mates sounded exactly like this other group of lads from Barnsley. Couldn’t hear the difference.

Of course, I assume these subtle nuances apply to accents everywhere.

Give over, I bet you sound like Jasper Carrot :D

• Haha 1

The missus sister and brother are staying with us for the weekend

I've done my duty and been shopping... I'm now in the man cave, playing tunes and ignoring the scene that will unfold involving the alcohol I bought

I will sit down for tea and be polite, I will return to the man cave

This will be my pattern of activity the whole weekend

• Like 3

Morrisons self service tills. 

"Surprising item in the bagging area". 

What's so feckin surprising about my shopping? Are you judging me?

Oh god, here comes the teenage shop assistant who smells strongly of cheap aftershave, what is he going think about my choice of groceries? Is he going to judge me as well. I'm sure he looked at me with a funny expression. I need to get out of here.

Help! No, I don't have a Morrisons More card. Gaaaaahhhh. Take my money, all of it. Here have a tenner, ah crap it's all crumpled. What do I do? It won't go in. Ah no the teenage shop assistant is coming over again. He must think I'm really stupid. Thank god, give me the change. Yes I do want a receipt, when I'm getting home I'm instigating a root and branch review of my groceries and shopping policy.

Back to Lidl, and the shame of having to use a bagging area with the other plebs. I refuse to pay 5p for a bag, so I'll have to pinch the little box that the baked beans are stored in. Oh the shame. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Elon musk, what a donut. The name alone, couldn't imagine someone homeless with a name like that. 

You'll miss him when he finally goes back to his home world. We can only hope he makes ours better while he's here. 

The endless Salt Bae videos popping up on my facebook feed.

That guy is possibly the biggest word removed in the culinary world and can't cook for shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The missus sister and brother are staying with us for the weekend

I've done my duty and been shopping... I'm now in the man cave, playing tunes and ignoring the scene that will unfold involving the alcohol I bought

I will sit down for tea and be polite, I will return to the man cave

This will be my pattern of activity the whole weekend

This sounds similar to visits by my in-laws! Cook, top up drinks, be polite and keep out of the way. :D 

I get plenty of music listened to! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KHV said:

The endless Salt Bae videos popping up on my facebook feed.

That guy is possibly the biggest word removed in the culinary world and can't cook for shit

He's the Captain Birdseye for millennial wankpuffins

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Moronic statements and overreactions in match and r&r threads. :bang:

Came to write something similar. Time to hide from on topic because of the ridiculous hyperbole from a majority of posters. 

• Like 2

Â