Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I’m not so sure that it’s German that is mixed up Yoda stylee. I think it follows some pretty standard structure.

I think it might be english that might be a bit mashed.

Hadn’t spoken any German in years, went over there fairly recently and got straight back in the groove. Not fluent by any stretch but I was properly pleased with myself.

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Meicrodon, I believe. Popty ping is a fabrication which no welsh speaker I know believes is genuine. Like other made up words though, I’m sure it will become ubiquitous before too long. 

How about 'pisgod wibbly-wobbly' (= jellyfish)? Real or not? 

• Haha 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

I'm getting the impression that Welsh is pretty much 'make it up as you go along'. 

Perhaps you've thought it all comes from a single codified source?

Certainly north walian is quite different to what I can cobble together. I defo struggle when Caernarfon fans try to engage and it's more than just accent, they just say stuff and I don't know what the **** it means!

I guess like a cockney talking to a geordie.

There's more than one way to say the same thing in english and I guess pretty much every other language.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Perhaps you've thought it all comes from a single codified source?

Certainly north walian is quite different to what I can cobble together. I defo struggle when Caernarfon fans try to engage and it's more than just accent, they just say stuff and I don't know what the **** it means!

I guess like a cockney talking to a geordie.

There's more than one way to say the same thing in english and I guess pretty much every other language.

Which is incredible when you think of how small the British Isles are. I don't think (say) Americans can grasp the variety of accents and dialects. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Which is incredible when you think of how small the British Isles are. I don't think (say) Americans can grasp the variety of accents and dialects. 

It amazes me how people in the UK, no more than 10-15 miles apart can sound so different. Even around here, the obvious in the Birmingham and Black Country accents. Up in Lichfield, a few miles north of me they speak in a Staffs accent. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

It's fascinating, and yet it must be the most uniform now that it's ever been. Mass transport, television, radio, even the printing press must all have worked to make things more universal. Imagine the level of variation just a few hundred years ago when Cornish would have been spoken, along with gaelic and the accents just would have been so much more impenetrable because the majority of people would only have heard language spoken by people from within walking distance.

All those words that would have arrived here, got butchered by local accents, then needed to have a spelling for the printing press, then people trying to pronounce the spelling and off it goes morphing again.

Nacht turning to night was a good example quoted up page.

Love it.

It's the absolute antidote to the thick clunking monoglot conform to be british disease behind brexit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not so sure that it’s German that is mixed up Yoda stylee. I think it follows some pretty standard structure.

I think it might be english that might be a bit mashed.

Hadn’t spoken any German in years, went over there fairly recently and got straight back in the groove. Not fluent by any stretch but I was properly pleased with myself.

Almost definitely

Same with the notion of male, female and neutral nouns, German, French, Spanish, Italian etc are all obviously wrong and English is right 

But in the words of Lee mack it's not male or female, it's a **** pastie 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Definitely, I remember trips to see the relatives up in Mid-Wales and the conversation in the car between my mum and granddad on the way back was nearly always about the differences between North and South Walean. In fact Max Boyce used to have a routine about it too iirc

I also remember going into a shop in Pontrhydfendigaid and the two women in the shop talking about me in Welsh, until I turned around in English and said, I know you're talking about me but it really is no way to talk about your cousin. Then my mother walked in and it suddenly clicked with them who I was. I understood enough even at about aged 10 to know they were talking about me and were not being pleasant. Welsh, the first language I learned as a child, the first language I forgot (Its still on the list to relearn)

yeah, I've had similar experiences with Cofi's a couple times.

I don't have anywhere near the skill level to confront it or even understand it most of the time to be honest. But a couple of the guys are simultaneous translators and they tend to make it known. After a while.

I find it fascinating, I love 'difference' but it's a genuinely difficult subject to discuss 'cos there's always some dickwad just wants to turn it in to the usual stereotypical stuff.

Â