Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

"So you should maybe strap yourself in as I am about to impart some street knowledge on you, quit your jibber jabber and pay close attention". 

Is this what is on the "Chicken boxes" of wisdom to reduce knife crime.

Could be Liz truss going door to door I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

ze germans use "so" more than us, a lot more than us (and of course pronounce it "zo") they will quite happily walk in to a room and introduce themselves by saying "so" 

In that context it's sort of translated to "Well,  Well" or an expression of surprise

Say you go to a funeral and you think there will be 10 people there,  you walk in the church and there is 200,  a dutch person would say "Zo" or if a kid tidies their room and you walk past a parent would say "Zo" or "what we going to do next" as in English.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I almost thought your co-worker was asking you if you wanted a metal postcard or something else

Close,  I think  "so...mittagessen...oder?"  means "Shall we go to the secret place again co-worker like yesterday" 🙂

I'm making things up again

mit is middle

tag is day

essen is food

german is easy ;) (apart from when you ask "what did you have for lunch yesterday?" and they restructure it to some mind boggling bollocks that translates to something like "what yesterday did you lunch have")

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

mit is middle

tag is day

essen is food

german is easy ;) (apart from when you ask "what did you have for lunch yesterday?" and they restructure it to some mind boggling bollocks that translates to something like "what yesterday did you lunch have")

German is yoda

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

mit is middle

tag is day

essen is food

I am learning Dutch.  Same sort of thing,  it's all over the place.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

mit is middle

tag is day

essen is food

Once you master the German language, it gives a lot back.

Schnecke = snail.

Nackt = naked.

Slug = Nacktschnecke.

Find me a better word than that in ANY language...

• Like 2

"Popty Ping" - Welsh for microwave. 

Popty is oven. SO it's an oven that goes ping.

Unfortunately I think there's a real welsh word fro microwave and this is more of a slang/nickname.

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Unfortunately I think there's a real welsh word fro microwave and this is more of a slang/nickname.

Meicrodon, I believe. Popty ping is a fabrication which no welsh speaker I know believes is genuine. Like other made up words though, I’m sure it will become ubiquitous before too long. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

Meicrodon, I believe. Popty ping is a fabrication which no welsh speaker I know believes is genuine. Like other made up words though, I’m sure it will become ubiquitous before too long. 

That's shattered my dreams

Decided it would be smart to explore a bit more than I had done in regards to a personal trainer and gym.

Went into a few gyms yesterday to get a feel for the place, speak to personal trainers about what they could offer, and even explore signing up to a gym.

One particular gym sent out some super-arm and bicep heavy guy to take me on a tour of the place and answer any queries.

Unfortunately this guy didn't even have a certificate three and was not really qualified to speak about my potential training routine.

His role was to run me through some of their classes, show me around the place and go over the fees with me. Fine I thinks to myself.

After we had completed the tour, we discussed fees. I said I had little interest in capitalising on their special offers, as I wanted to shop around.

MAAAAAAN. I soon got the sense that this guy would not take any answer outside of ,"Sure, I'll sign up". from me.

The whole vibe was marketing and pure business model above a pitch that actually educated me on enhancing my fitness.

He started to piss me off with his lines of inquiry, and attempts to convince me there was no other gym that would meet my needs.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say he would get performance bonuses for getting clients to sign up.

His body language and the dialogue was focused on me signing before i walked out that door, no two ways about it.

After wasting my time and making me justify my reasoning to go on with my day as I choose to without his gym membership, he finally conceded.

He would go ask his manager if he could offer me a better deal. In hindsight I should've left while he was doing that but I waited.

They offered me a 7 day period to use all the facilities at any time and have a PT session before cancelling the membership free of charge.

A bit of karmic humility was at play I think. I can go on with my day knowing that this particular gym is a no-go zone after one week of free membership.

And that they've earnt themselves a dissatisfied customer who will be honest if ever questioned about the experience that I had there.

It's mad corny that they send a dude with a good physique but who's unqualified to try and intimidate me into a signature should the sales pitch fail.

I learnt nothing about the process I explicitly stated I was looking to work on or what would be useful in achieving my fitness goals.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Popty Ping is actually English for Russel Howard is a twunt

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Popty Ping is actually English for Russel Howard is a twunt

I like that the other portmanteau makes him a massive cat.

• Haha 2

Â