Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There is no such thing. There are 'jobs' and there are 'second jobs'. I have a job; it's not fun, it's not daring, it's not risque, it's just a job. This term is a deliberate attempt to make job insecurity 'cool' or 'glamorous' and it's complete bullshit. 

I disagree, because some people actually have a "side hustle". 

So for example a girl in my office is an accountant.   She works full-time as an accountant and gets paid well for it. 

She also has a side-hustle selling pieces of logs (from trees) as decorative items.  She makes around £1000 a year from her side hustle.  She does it for fun, rather than the income.  

PS - I'm not disagreeing with being pissed off when someone is doing an actual job and the media is calling it a side hustle.   Just pointing out that people do have side-hustles as well in some cases.

Edited by ender4

15 hours ago, bickster said:

In many cases the "side hustle" is replacing others actual jobs, so yes and because it's a "side hustle" those doing it don't give a shit about their employment status or their lack of minimum wage

Another example of a real side hustle - my brother-in-law is a full-time dentist and earns well over 6 figures annually. 

He also has a side-hustle of buying random dental stuff in bulk and selling it individually on Ebay at a profit. 

No idea how much he makes from it, but i doubt its more that a couple of thousand a year.    Again, its a true example of a side-hustle, that he does because he enjoys it.  

PS - I'm not disagreeing with being pissed off when someone is doing an actual job and the media is calling it a side hustle.  Just pointing out that people do have side-hustles as well in some cases.

Edited by ender4

49 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Another example of a real side hustle - my brother-in-law is a full-time dentist and earns well over 6 figures annually. 

The implication of this is that his real job is a hustle. On that basis, I'd be wary of choosing him as my dentist.

Obviously your previous example of accountancy might be a truer 'hustle'. :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

One to add to "dropped": 

"Curated" (in any context other than museums and art galleries). 

Hipster Records have dropped a new vinyl of deep cuts curated by DJ W*nker. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whilst we're at it, "reach out" for contacted. 

As in: "Sorry you are disappointed, please reach out to our super lovely Customer Service team..."

Reaching out is the new touching base. 

• Like 1

This might be one for the often wonder thread, but either works. 

When did starting a spoken sentence with “So...” become so common!? Has it always been a thing because I’ve really started to notice it more and more recently. The “so” always seems to be drawn out for a second or two longer than normal as well. 

E.g. “What are your plans for this weekend?”

”Sooo...I’m a massive word removed so I’ll be off being a word removed somewhere and saying so before a sentence all the time”. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

When did starting a spoken sentence with “So...” become so common!? Has it always been a thing because I’ve really started to notice it more and more recently. The “so” always seems to be drawn out for a second or two longer than normal as well. 

”Sooo...I’m a massive word removed so I’ll be off being a word removed somewhere and saying so before a sentence all the time”. 

Well now, I'm not sure. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Re: "So..." - I think the French do the same thing with "Alors..." 

And the Spanish with "vale" (pronounced Bah-lay) and the Italians with "Allora"

I think it's just a subconscious thing to kind of tell people you're about to talk. I do it without meaning to with "so".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And the Spanish with "vale" (pronounced Bah-lay) and the Italians with "Allora"

I think it's just a subconscious thing to kind of tell people you're about to talk. I do it without meaning to with "so".

Herr Lipp

Alles Klar ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

So is the shortened version of "So you should maybe strap yourself in as I am about to impart some street knowledge on you, quit your jibber jabber and pay close attention". 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

So is the shortened version of "So you should maybe strap yourself in as I am about to impart some street knowledge on you, quit your jibber jabber and pay close attention". 

yeah its the butting in indicator

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

ze germans use "so" more than us, a lot more than us (and of course pronounce it "zo") they will quite happily walk in to a room and introduce themselves by saying "so" 

they also ask questions by adding "oder" (or) on the end of their sentences

I get asked "so...mittagessen...oder?" every lunchtime by the guy I share an office with

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

ze germans use "so" more than us, a lot more than us (and of course pronounce it "zo") they will quite happily walk in to a room and introduce themselves by saying "so" 

they also ask questions by adding "oder" (or) on the end of their sentences

I get asked "so...mittagessen...oder?" every lunchtime by the guy I share an office with

I almost thought your co-worker was asking you if you wanted a metal postcard or something else

Â