Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

When the road ahead is clear, yeah. Surely not when the road ahead is closed?

The lane is closed a 1000 yards down the road. So get off it at that point! 

My favourite thing in Word is having to look up how to extract a page, with formatting, from the middle of a multi-page document, which I can never remember how to do even though I do it every week, and always seems bizarrely cumbersome. 

12 hours ago, Mic09 said:

The lane is closed a 1000 yards down the road. So get off it at that point! 

I'm with you.

Use up the whole road and filter in at the end. What's the point in forming a queue three times as long?

It's the stupidly overly long queue that lets people speed up the inside and cut in at the end.

If people filled all three lanes and filtered in at the end then people wouldn't be able to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm with you.

Use up the whole road and filter in at the end. What's the point in forming a queue three times as long?

It's the stupidly overly long queue that lets people speed up the inside and cut in at the end.

If people filled all three lanes and filtered in at the end then people wouldn't be able to do that.

Well other than the fact that there'd be hundreds of cars trying to filter in at the end which would form the same queue further back. Trying to get cars to filter in from 2 lanes into the 1 open lane would also be a bit of a nightmare I'd have thought.

I'd imagine you'd just end up with three lanes of queuing traffic with all cars aiming to get into the 1 open lane at the last minute rather than one lane of queuing traffic with the selfish lot driving as far down the road to nip in last minute like you get at the moment.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 10:07, bickster said:

On arrival to work I got summonsed to court with no notice. Not exactly dressed for the occasion. Now I’ve had to climb the sodding stairs to the 5th floor (4 flights per floor!) because there’s a High Sheriff being sworn in. Whatever that is and why on earth it warrants this level of security is beyond me

So how did you get on in the end?  Did you manage to convince them you had no intent to supply?

Just now, BOF said:

So how did you get on in the end?  Did you manage to convince them you had no intent to supply?

haha, ended up presenting the evidence they were lacking for the trial, answering some daft questions (made sure they knew they were daft questions) and then the judge remembered she'd forgotten to swear me in :mrgreen::crylaugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

haha, ended up presenting the evidence they were lacking for the trial, answering some daft questions (made sure they knew they were daft questions) and then the judge remembered she'd forgotten to swear me in :mrgreen::crylaugh:

I get the impression you're particularly good at the bold bit :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Well other than the fact that there'd be hundreds of cars trying to filter in at the end which would form the same queue further back. Trying to get cars to filter in from 2 lanes into the 1 open lane would also be a bit of a nightmare I'd have thought.

I'd imagine you'd just end up with three lanes of queuing traffic with all cars aiming to get into the 1 open lane at the last minute rather than one lane of queuing traffic with the selfish lot driving as far down the road to nip in last minute like you get at the moment.

Yeah you'd have 3 lanes of queuing traffic instead of one huge lane of queuing traffic. And you wouldn't have two empty lanes that people can speed up and nip in at the end.

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah you'd have 3 lanes of queuing traffic instead of one huge lane of queuing traffic. And you wouldn't have two empty lanes that people can speed up and nip in at the end.

But you'd have two lanes of queuing traffic which had nowhere to go and were all trying to pull across into one lane of cars which would be moving if it wasn't for the fact that there were two lanes of cars trying to get into their lane.

I'm not sure how this would speed anything up at all since wherever the cars were queued only one car would be able to continue once the two lanes were closed. Surely the flow of traffic would be much better if as soon as drivers are aware of the two lanes being closed they move across into the open lane allowing for traffic to flow as smoothly as possible.

Sure, if everyone on the road was nice and polite, cars could filter through into the open lane one after the other but, given what a lot of road users are like, asking for this to happen consistently with 3 lanes of queued cars (which likely had been stuck for a large amount of time) is pretty unlikely and impractical.

I'm not sure how it's not easier for cars to get across into the open lane as soon as possible and keep moving. If everybody did this then once cars had been let in the traffic would flow and wouldn't be stopped by the people who speed down the closed lanes and nip in.

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

But you'd have two lanes of queuing traffic which had nowhere to go and were all trying to pull across into one lane of cars which would be moving if it wasn't for the fact that there were two lanes of cars trying to get into their lane.

I'm not sure how this would speed anything up at all since wherever the cars were queued only one car would be able to continue once the two lanes were closed. Surely the flow of traffic would be much better if as soon as drivers are aware of the two lanes being closed they move across into the open lane allowing for traffic to flow as smoothly as possible.

Sure, if everyone on the road was nice and polite, cars could filter through into the open lane one after the other but, given what a lot of road users are like, asking for this to happen consistently with 3 lanes of queued cars (which likely had been stuck for a large amount of time) is pretty unlikely and impractical.

I'm not sure how it's not easier for cars to get across into the open lane as soon as possible and keep moving. If everybody did this then once cars had been let in the traffic would flow and wouldn't be stopped by the people who speed down the closed lanes and nip in.

But that's not how two lanes are closed. It's not just two lanes and then a wall.

The first lane would filter into the second and the second would filter into the third.

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

People who stir tea and coffee for more than 2 seconds.

People who stir for less than 2 seconds are doing a shit job of it.  Also depends on how much sugar you've put in. But then these are things that shouldn't piss you off :P 

Â