Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

22 hours ago, blandy said:

Fourth - for pleasure of the physical items.

This is a real big thing for me. 

I bought both my kids a vinyl album a couple of years ago because a powerful feeling within me just wanted them to bloody well OWN one. 

It's a visceral thing, it's weird but I feel a joy in holding and owning my music, particularly in Vinyl.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my daughter has bought a record player and a couple of albums.  When I first set it up for her I noticed her sitting on the floor in the living room with her back to the wall much like I would have done as a kid listening to the record.  But she was just listening so I handed her the album sleeve and ordered her to look at it and read it.   I could probably recite contents of albums when I was a teenager. 

I can right now visualise the cover of every album I own and its something that connects me to the songs and the band. 

They are a work of art that is missing with online music and a true joy to own. 

And of course barring a house fire your music collection is not going to suddenly get wiped if your computer crashed or the Internet is down or you are hacked or your phone is stolen. 

And finally as someone has said the sound quality is so much better.  The richness of sound is far superior to the tinny download. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

Customs charging me 20% on an LP I purchased from America, which isn't so bad, then Royal **** Mail adding another £8.00 for a "handling" fee. The words removed have to handle it anyway. they charging eight quid to send me a card saying I owe customs (and them).

Absolute robbery.

The Spotify player and CD player are the same box here, so A/B comparisons are quite straightforward. With some recordings it is difficult to tell the difference between the two sources. Others it's really obvious without needing bat like hearing.

The modern music freak needs to be across the formats. You're missing out on something good by not engaging with CD/LP/Stream/Downloads. Cassette not so much, unless you've got them already?

25 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Royal **** Mail... Absolute robbery.

They've intercepted two of mine recently. One each way. 

Figured it into the maths of a Threadless order, so wasn't that fussed. Though kindly(!) they returned a bottle of gin I tried to sneak out the country to a friend for Christmas. They said they'd destroyed it in an earlier letter telling me I was a bad person.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've just found a first pressing of B***les For Sale (Black and Yellow Parlophone labels, gatefold sleeve) in my record collection

No idea how it got here

Pissing me right off though

E-bay awaits

How do you identify that it's a first pressing? 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How do you identify that it's a first pressing? 

Discogs is great for this sort of stuff

First pressings are on a black and yellow Parlophone label with ''The Parlophone Co.'' in the perimeter and ''Sold in the UK'' in the middle.

It may irk you that I have more valuable records by The Fall than this rubbish :mrgreen:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Discogs is great for this sort of stuff

Actually, I just looked it up myself. Apparently, you can also tell by the publisher credit for the track "Money". If it's 'Jobete' it's a first, 'Belinda' it's a second. Mine's a second. And it's hardly mint - I bought it in 1963, and must have played it hundreds of times. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, I just looked it up myself. Apparently, you can also tell by the publisher credit for the track "Money". If it's 'Jobete' it's a first, 'Belinda' it's a second. Mine's a second. And it's hardly mint - I bought it in 1963, and must have played it hundreds of times. 

Money isn't on this album (I had to look it up) , it's on With The B***les

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Money isn't on this album (I had to look it up) , it's on With The B***les

Duh. I should have read the OP better. I'll have to go and have a look at my copy of "For Sale" now. Back in a bit. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Right. My "For Sale" is a first pressing. Again, bought on release and played to death, so not in the best nick. 

This ones not in great nick either. The vinyl is perfectly playable but its covered in hairline scratches and the cover is worn to say the least

On 19/01/2019 at 07:20, Seat68 said:

I recall buying Rocket To Russia LP by The Ramones and poring over every minute detail whilst the album played. The lyrics, the credits, everything. Looking at the band and their clothes, the illustrations. Whilst the album played. 

With limited funds as a spotty teenager, every LP bought was an event that took huge consideration. No kneejerk purchases. 

Today I still need that physical item, the ritual has changed but its still a ritual. Sure I have a Spotify account but my need for physical product, be it LP or CD still rings true. 

Wait ... someone actually bought a Ramones album ... were you drunk and mistook it for a T-shirt :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Wait ... someone actually bought a Ramones album ... were you drunk and mistook it for a T-shirt :) 

Oh man, I had better not mention my Swing Out Sister album :blush:

Â