Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I get the desire for physical media. It just grips people with different things I guess.

I'm like you with books. Maybe if I read loads then I'd be different. But I love having an actual book rather than a kindle. I like having a bookshelf full of them, even though I'll read them once and probably never touch them again. Can't explain why.

I just don't have the same with music. I used to have it with films/tv shows on DVD, but that's gone as well now.

Yeah, I'm the same. I've not got anything against kindles but if I'm going to use tech to read a book, I'd rather download the audiobook.

I've still got hundreds of CDs hidden away that I know I'll never use again now, but I don't want to throw away or sell. Not that they're worth anything anyway.

I've only recently copied @Rob182 and bought giant CD/DVD wallets to put my 600+ DVDs in and throw away the boxes. A few years ago, the thought of doing that would have made me feel sick.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I've only recently copied @Rob182 and bought giant CD/DVD wallets to put my 600+ DVDs in and throw away the boxes. A few years ago, the thought of doing that would have made me feel sick.

Yep I have a similar wallet. Used to be for my CDs but I chucked most of the min the end.

Been meaning to stick all my DVDs in there for a while but haven't brought myself to do it yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I get the desire for physical media. It just grips people with different things I guess.

I'm like you with books. Maybe if I read loads then I'd be different. But I love having an actual book rather than a kindle. I like having a bookshelf full of them, even though I'll read them once and probably never touch them again. Can't explain why.

I just don't have the same with music. I used to have it with films/tv shows on DVD, but that's gone as well now.

It' gives the room life. A room with books and films dotted around is the equivalent of an art lover hanging up portraits. I don't like empty walls, but I also know nothing about art, so books, and for me, dvds give a bit of life to a room, plus they can be talking points, people spot something they like, and they can borrow stuff and vice versa. You lose that with streaming. It's only a minor thing but calculating every act down to the exact percentage of how much more efficient it makes your life would be very dull. Technology will probably force change ultimately, I already don't buy TV shows on dvd anymore thanks ot netflix and prime, maybe my film collection will gradually disappear as new machines make dvd's unusable like VCRs

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

It' gives the room life. A room with books and films dotted around is the quivalent of an art lover hanging up portraits. I don't like empty walls, but I also know nothing about art, so books, and for me, dvds give a bit of life to a room, plus they can be talking points, people spot something they like, and they can borrow stuff and vice versa. You lose that with streaming. It's only a minor thing but calculating every act down to the exact percentage of how much more efficient it makes your life would be very dull. Technology will probably force change ultimately, I already don't buy TV shows on dvd anymore thanks ot netflix and prime, maybe my film collection will gradually disappear as new machines make dvd's unusable like VCRs

I think more and more people are losing their DVD players now. I only have one because my PS4 plays DVDs and Blu Rays. If I didn't have a PS4, I don't think I'd bother getting a DVD player to be honest. The number of times I watch a DVD isn't enough to justify the purchase to be honest.

It was different when BluRay was the best quality format (or the best I could easily access). But now that netflix adn Sky etc are using 4K/UHD/HDR, Blu Ray doesn't seem worth it anymore either.

Every DVD I owned got stored on my Plex server and dumped in a charity shop years ago. Same for CDs, and most of my books. All of my games are digital too.

The only physical media I have these days is my favourite books. I used to have 7 stuffed bookcases and a whole room for them, but a load of them were junk. Now I have a couple of them, and it's reserved for my all time favourites, most of which I can see myself re-reading at some point.

I'm a bit uncomfortable about services like Spotify, though, I keep thinking that even if I don't like physical media cluttering the place up, in the long run, I'm probably better off just buying digital copies rather than having to have a permanent subscription at £120 a year. It's a lot like leasing a car, it seems good value in the short term, but when I'm done with it, I've paid thousands and own precisely nothing, and I'm trapped in the cycle. I wonder how much I'd save over the next 5 years just buying copies of the few things I actually listen to rather than paying a premium for millions of songs I have no interest in. 

Trying to do some airbrushing earlier. My airbrush set up is in the conservatory because there's nowhere else it can be at the moment, and I stupidly thought how bad can it being a bit cold be?

It was **** freezing. The primer was thick and gloopy and didn't spray well, but I persevered until it just wouldn't spray as I didn't want to waste the paint. Eventually gave up and tried to clean the brush. This turns into a nightmare.

Then I drop the nozzle and can't find it.

**** word removed bollocks clearing in the woods.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It was different when BluRay was the best quality format (or the best I could easily access). But now that netflix adn Sky etc are using 4K/UHD/HDR, Blu Ray doesn't seem worth it anymore either.

Depends on how picky you are (I am). You get almost 10 times (40Mbps ) the bitrate on a 1080p Bluray compared to Netfix 4k. It's not even close. And the fact that they muck about with the picture compression making it very "videogamy" and flat. And then there is the sound, blah!

That said, I'm in the minority camp here :) Each to their own

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Depends on how picky you are (I am). You get almost 10 times (40Mbps ) the bitrate on a 1080p Bluray compared to Netfix 4k. It's not even close. And the fact that they muck about with the picture compression making it very "videogamy" and flat. And then there is the sound, blah!

That said, I'm in the minority camp here :) Each to their own

I don't even know what any of that means, so safe to say it doesn't bother me :D 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm pretty sure the free Spotify has less content than the paid version

Not in terms of music available, the "extra content" is stuff like tailored and automatic playlists

You'll hate the intrusive adverts though (roughly every three songs)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If they're available on free streaming (probably not), or paid streaming (maybe, but I ain't paying). SO much easier to just take the disc. And I like the booklets, etc. 

Streaming music and Kindle books have their place as a secondary medium, but they will never replace CDs and physical books in my world.  The ephemeral is just less satisfying. 

Now I'm confused. How do you play a "disc" on your phone? I'm not suggesting replacing anything, just on those times when you want to play something occasionally on your phone, stream it. You can upload tens of thousands of your tracks to Google Play Music and they are there to stream (or pin to your device) when you want them.

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Now I'm confused. How do you play a "disc" on your phone? I'm not suggesting replacing anything, just on those times when you want to play something occasionally on your phone, stream it. You can upload tens of thousands of your tracks to Google Play Music and they are there to stream (or pin to your device) when you want them.

I don't, obviously. But I copied a load of music onto my phone. Mainly stuff that lends itself to shuffle mode. So no classical, for example. For anything I haven't got on my phone, I take CDs with me. Depends on mood and length of journey. 

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

£10 in the UK, £15 for family Premium

17zl for me

Even still, it pays for itself if you download one album to listen to offline...

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â