Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

A number of years ago a reporter on National Public Radio in the US said something along the lines of, "President Bush is literally caught between a rock and a hard place."   You would have thought some other news organizations would have reported on such an obvious physical danger to the president but, oddly, none did.

download (5).jpg

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Exponentially'. Surely the second-most abused word in the language, after 'literally'. 

I recently saw a FB ad for the TV presenter Ben Fogle appearing at Leeds Town Hall, giving a talk about his travels. The ad described him as "a modern day journeyman". I pointed out to them that "journeyman" does not mean "a man who goes on journeys", but they didn't respond. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

'Apparently' must be up there

Not noticed the misuse of that one. Any examples? I don't know why I'm asking because once you've furnished me with an example it'll annoy the living shite out of me

Just now, bickster said:

Not noticed the misuse of that one. Any examples? I don't know why I'm asking because once you've furnished me with an example it'll annoy the living shite out of me

Well if something is apparent, by the literal meaning of that word it means obvious, does it not? Clearly visible?

But it's usually used in the context of something like "APPARENTLY, if you drink 10 litres of coke you'll explode" or "APPARENTLY, Deborah is in love with Alan" or "APPARENTLY Villa want to sign Lionel Messi"

Those things aren't apparent. Quite the opposite. It's basically used to mean the opposite of it's meaning, in so much as it's often used to preface something that you don't have any evidence for at all.

Really the word used should be "allegedly".

It doesn't annoy me. Language changes, and the use of that word, like "literally", has evolved. But if you're talking about words straying from their original meaning then that has to be in the conversation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

...I pointed out to them that "journeyman" does not mean "a man who goes on journeys", but they didn't respond. 

I gues they must have gone out, travelling somewhere.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not just for me then?  It's a huge part of my job, being able to use that tool, and they've effectively broken it.  It's completely pointless now.

I noticed yesterday when searching for album art, that when the results came up, nothing happened when I clicked on a picture, but if I right clicked, open in new tab, then it worked - or are you two talking about some new fangled funky camera based do dah?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not just for me then?  It's a huge part of my job, being able to use that tool, and they've effectively broken it.  It's completely pointless now.

Same here

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

I noticed yesterday when searching for album art, that when the results came up, nothing happened when I clicked on a picture, but if I right clicked, open in new tab, then it worked - or are you two talking about some new fangled funky camera based do dah?

No, the same thing but the right click thing in a pain in the butt, you're effectively opening a new tab before you've even seen if the size of the image is suitable etc.

Definitely a retrograde step from Google, can't believe its deliberate

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Same here

No, the same thing but the right click thing in a pain in the butt, you're effectively opening a new tab before you've even seen if the size of the image is suitable etc.

Definitely a retrograde step from Google, can't believe its deliberate

they did something back in Feb as part of a legal issue with getty images , presumably this new retrograde step is a similar issue ?

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

they did something back in Feb as part of a legal issue with getty images , presumably this new retrograde step is a similar issue ?

Now you don't even get the zoomed view. I'm blaming Trump

15 minutes ago, bickster said:
19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Now you don't even get the zoomed view. I'm blaming Trump

Well that sucks monkey balls.

When you see someone has liked your post, so you click on it to see what post they agree with, and there's no like there. You go back to your notification and it's vanished.

So not only did they not agree, which is fair enough, they went out of their way to remove the like. Cheers buddy!

Â