Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

National Speed Limit applies. It's a maximum, not "the speed you have to drive at".

**** grow up.

And before you start, I am not one of those slow pensioner type drivers myself. I currently have six points on my licence for speeding. Not proud of it, though.

I would far rather the roads were full of doddery 30 mph merchants than all the "confident in my skills" types. A few more people might be alive.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this though. As I said, I don't speed, but I hate being cooped up behind someone travelling at 30mph quite unnecessarily. On your driving test you get failed for travelling too slowly, as well as too fast. The problem POB mentioned is far more of a issue for me.

National Speed Limit applies. It's a maximum, not "the speed you have to drive at".

**** grow up.

And before you start, I am not one of those slow pensioner type drivers myself. I currently have six points on my licence for speeding. Not proud of it, though.

I would far rather the roads were full of doddery 30 mph merchants than all the "confident in my skills" types. A few more people might be alive.

Is there evidence that fast drivers cause more accidents ?

I thought drunk drivers were a big part of fatalities rather than speeding for example

I am kinda one of those fast drivers , I say kinda because I drive way over the maximum speed limit , not because of false confidence in my skills but more the fact that I am confident in the skills of my car .. 70 mph on a motor way is way way to slow IMO in an era of cars with abs , power steering and other advanced safety improvements

The german system is quite good whereby adverse weather conditions kick in slower speed limits on the motor way than perfect conditions

As the understudy said, if you drive too slow on your test you get failed for it.

I understand it being a maximum, but as rev pointed out it's infuriating when the person goes at 40 in a 30 and then stays at 40 in a NSL

And I agree, they're definitely middle lane hoggers.

**** grow up.

Is there evidence that fast drivers cause more accidents ?

I thought drunk drivers were a big part of fatalities rather than speeding for example

I am kinda one of those fast drivers , I say kinda because I drive way over the maximum speed limit , not because of false confidence in my skills but more the fact that I am confident in the skills of my car .. 70 mph on a motor way is way way to slow IMO in an era of cars with abs , power steering and other advanced safety improvements

The german system is quite good whereby adverse weather conditions kick in slower speed limits on the motor way than perfect conditions

We have variable speed limits on UK motorways. Is the German system different?

Boy racers.

People who text while driving or play around.

I don't like people on the phone but actually can live with that because they are still eyes on the road, texting though....seriously, why do people risk their lives? is it that important? it never is.

My Brother is a bit of a cock, lives that life style, I mean don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic driver, if you went Go Karting, he'd win it by a clear mile but he drives down the motorway at times 100mph, driving with his knee's, while texting and eating.

Been driving since he was 17 and never crashed somehow despite driving crazy fast and constantly fidgeting around, texting, music etc...my heart races whenever I'm in the car with him (which is never unless emergency)

Been a big problem here in Canada as anywhere. Though some of the provinces now have laws against using mobiles while driving. Get caught using one while at the wheel of a vehicle and its a near $300 fine so somewhere in the area of 180pound fine. Thatll teach anyone not to use their phone.

Over here someone just got fined $3000 (£1500) for performing oral sex - just to put things into perspective :D

In Massachusetts, technically any speed limit except for the ones on the Mass Pike (because that's technically a private road) and the 30 mph in a "thickly settled" area (whether there's signage to that effect or not) is advisory: the governing standard is whether the speed you are driving at is "reasonable and safe".

That said, the burden of proof is basically on you if you admit to doing 75 in a 45 and appeal.

I really agree with that kind of law Levi. Someone can be driving safely 10 km/h over the speed limit and get booked, while someone driving erratically 10 km/h under the speed limit is more likely to cause the accident.

You rarely hear of people getting pulled over for speeding here, they usually caught on speed cameras and have their ticket mailed out to them. A speed camera doesn't have the ability to judge as to whether you're driving safely or not, it's purely based on your speed. They justify this stance by pointing to the proportion of accidents where speed is a factor, which according to the official statistics is basically every accident.

The speed cameras are revenue raisers and don't do as much to stop unsafe driving as more police on the street would.

Ermmm now you've got me , I'm not really sure

The UK ones seem to be more to do with traffic flow don't they ? The german ones are specific to weather from my experience

It might vary by motorway, I hardly ever go on the things but I drive over the top of the M42 and M25 pretty much every day. Both of those have LED signposts on gantries every few hundred yards which give information and speed limits to drivers (a bit more fancy than the LED signs you see on the M6 too) and the speed limit on those roads can be varied by a control room for any reason they want as far as I am aware. I have certainly seen them reduce the speed limit on the M42 to 50 because of fog in recent weeks.

Â