Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Made in Chelsea, Towie and other fake reality TV shows.

Not so much the shows. They're garbage, but that's not what bothers me.

What bothers me is people talking about them as if they're real.

Its genuinely.like wrestling was 20-30 years ago. Deep down everyone knows it isn't real, but there's this infuriating façade that they refuse to break and are always in character.

• Like 1

I'm in a group of mates and we generally get on but one of them (Tom) has a problem with me which is a tad random.

Some background. We're in a whatsapp group and it's generally used to have a laugh and stuff. 

Run ins with this guy:

1) I was marshalling a 10k race for a dad and I took a picture of the finish as runners were coming in and sent it to the Whatsapp group. He lectured me about image rights and questioned my teaching because of it. A single photo of a race finish with adults in it.

2) Our friend (who we give a bit of jip to) passed his driving test and he came round to our other mate's house. He pulled up and were jokingly saying 'lets go for a ride' and getting in his car. Tom flies off the handle at me, says I'm being disrespectful and that he's the only one who can go out with him for a drive (because he's some almighty power apparently).

3) This is the big one. Meals. When we go out, this guy in particular insists that we split the bill equally regardless of what anybody had. I always have an issue with this because I'm still a student technically. I earn about 2700 a year in loans compared to their 18k-23k the rest of them earn. Every time it's an issue. I try to bring it up in a polite way but he's always an arse. We went out on Thursday and my one friend had a £9 starter, £20 main, 3 beers and a pudding. Roughly £40. I had a cheap starter, main and pudding and water (because of tablets). There was a good £20 disparity in those bills and I wasn't that impressed. The guy kicked off at me and said that 'if you can't afford it then don't come'. So I either have to split a bill for things I haven't paid for or not go at all? Is that fair? I don't know whether I'm just being tight. If I was on my teacher's pay, I wouldn't have an issue with it. Also he has an issue with bad language at the table but he farts loudly while we're in a restaurant.

4) Finally, today we were joking around on the Whatsapp group about my mate's IQ and he said 'well you have a degree, so you can't talk' (he's a marine, very anti-uni). I said that I'm using my degree for an actual career rather than just working in a shop. This Tom comes flying in saying what's wrong with working in a shop, implying I'm saying I'm better than people who work in a shop etc, when actually my point was that uni is pointless if you get a degree (in say psychology), then do something unrelated like working in a shop. He kept going on at me without letting me explain.

Is he a bit of a prick?

Edited by StefanAVFC

Made in Chelsea, Towie and other fake reality TV shows.

Not so much the shows. They're garbage, but that's not what bothers me.

What bothers me is people talking about them as if they're real.

Its genuinely.like wrestling was 20-30 years ago. Deep down everyone knows it isn't real, but there's this infuriating façade that they refuse to break and are always in character.

To even compare wrestling to that tripe does it a massive disservice.

We're a bit of a group of sorts though. Me and this Tom aren't really friends through choice. I was friends with the rest of the group through work when we were all younger. They were mates with this first guy at high school so won't say a bad word against him. But one of the group doesn't really like him either and shares many viewpoints with me. The meal thing pisses me off the most.

His other solution was 'tell us all beforehand then we'll order cheaper food'.

But then don't I look like a prick for stopping people having what they want?

You've missed my point Wainy

I probably have although Kayfabe was viciously protected in times of old and most people did think it was real. It was a lot more convincing until WWF starting churning out cartoon characters which left it very open to question.

You've missed my point Wainy

I probably have although Kayfabe was viciously protected in times of old and most people did think it was real. It was a lot more convincing until WWF starting churning out cartoon characters which left it very open to question.
my point was it's like a protected secret. All the actors obviously know its not real, but the audience are left guessing.

So even though deep down we all know it's not real, people are drawn in because there's no "proof"

Almost posted a crying gif until I highlighted. You crafty sod :D

People are on to my sneaky ways!! :D I have a concussion at the moment, I blame that although you, Ginko, CED and Meath_Villan plus others possibly have been on to me for a while now, I need to change my ways.

Back when I worked in retail, I'd volunteer to work the holidays. Time-and-a-half => $$$$$$

Lucky bastard. Sunday pay has been standard rate in every job I've had for the past few years. Few companies give time and a half even for bank holidays these days.

Stefan, he sounds like a right word removed. Just flat out ask him what his problem with you is. Ideally, ask him very calmly the next time he does something, but ask him politely in front of everyone.

He lectured me about image rights and questioned my teaching because of it.

Good job he never saw the necknomination debate. :P

p.s. On the meals thing, I think it's incredibly inconsiderate for people to expect the bill to be shared evenly if there is such a disparity - I'm not suggesting that someone should be there calculating the exact contributions on a napkin but it's rather poor for no one to chime in and say,"Hold on, x didn't have half as much as me/anything to drink."

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Nah we've had a bit argument on whatsapp lolz.

He is a word removed but I endure him for the sake of our group.

that's one of the advantages of advanced age

I don't think there is anyone left in my little social group that I don't get along with, over the years you can shake them off and only knock around with people you actually enjoy spending time with

the whole W S Burroughs 'words of advice for young people' thing really is worth listening to, if after being in the presence of someone you feel like you've lost a quart of plasma, avoid that person, or words to that basic theme (I wouldn't want to be taken literally)

Â