Adblockers - please click ×
AVFCforever1991

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

Why?

Because they are ubiquitous and prey on vulnerable people. They don't make money out of casual gamblers who have their wits about them, they make money out of poor sods who piss away any money they have in the hope of making a bit of money. There were some stats about the money these companies take from poor communities out a few weeks back, well into the billions IIRC.

Sickening, horrid, morally bankrupt arseholes IMO.

BTW I ignored the alcohol point because it implies that I don't have a problem with that, which isn't true.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

Why?

Because they are ubiquitous and prey on vulnerable people. They don't make money out of casual gamblers who have their wits about them, they make money out of poor sods who piss away any money they have in the hope of making a bit of money. There were some stats about the money these companies take from poor communities out a few weeks back, well into the billions IIRC.

BTW I ignored the alcohol point because it implies that I don't have a problem with that, which isn't true.

Freedom of choice. Gambling is as old as the hills and now they advertise due to competition, those who are going to gamble will do so regardless. I do agree that there needs to be more regulation, as there is with the advertising of alcohol (sign up deals being a major issue) but you can't knock them for being in the trade.

They give people what the people want. For the vast majority of people who like a flutter, it's a bit of fun. Just like having a drink or seeing a prostitute.

• Like 2

I'm just saying, gambling companies do just as much advertising, if not more.

Couple of days back there was a debate on the radio off the back of some new legislation regarding the gaming machines. What I learned and was amazed by is that these machines can take upto £100 every 20seconds off the punter. :-o

The fix based on new legislation? Every 30 minutes the machine will stop for 30 seconds and ask the user if he is happy to proceed. Fantastic.

Why?

Freedom of choice. Gambling is as old as the hills and now they advertise due to competition, those who are going to gamble will do so regardless. I do agree that there needs to be more regulation, as there is with the advertising of alcohol (sign up deals being a major issue) but you can't knock them for being in the trade.

They give people what the people want. For the vast majority of people who like a flutter, it's a bit of fun. Just like having a drink or seeing a prostitute.

'Zackly.

Where does it end.

Smoking advertising has already been banned.

Alcohol next - that can be harmful - advertisers are trying to get people to drink more.

Gambling - see above.

Drinks like Coke/Pepsi - can be VERY bad for the health and teeth, especially when not drunk in moderation.

Junk food? see above

etc, etc.

Nanny state.

No thanks, not for me. No further please.

Smoking is different. Nobody actually gets any pleasure from that, they only think they do.

• Like 2

Couple of days back there was a debate on the radio off the back of some new legislation regarding the gaming machines. What I learned and was amazed by is that these machines can take upto £100 every 20seconds off the punter. :-o

The fix based on new legislation? Every 30 minutes the machine will stop for 30 seconds and ask the user if he is happy to proceed. Fantastic.

The simpler and easier solution would be for the 'idiot' giving his money away to stop doing so. Unless he's quite happy giving his money away. If so, then fair play.

If people want to gamble/bet/drink/eat etc, with knowledge of the consequences if they do these things to excess, then I don't see a problem.

The fixed odds betting terminals are also handy for laundering drug money. Chuck all your cash in, lose on average 30%, but you get a receipt...

I don't agree with leaving vulnerable people to be preyed on by greedy, horrid companies, from whatever industry. If that means regulating advertising, then fine. If it means funding better education, better counseling, so be it. You don't abandon people, be it a minority or otherwise, just because it means taking an active role in society.

BTW I've never argued against freedom of choice, so I don't know where that assumption has come from.

Betting companies almost universally have TERRIBLE adverts. For that reason I hate them.

With the boxing trainer?

The worst offender at the moment. Awful.

That I was convinced its friday. Not just a fleeting oh what day is it. Made plans based on it being friday. Pillock.

With the boxing trainer?

Yep, it's just so cringeworthy and annoying.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

The simpler and easier solution would be for the 'idiot' giving his money away to stop doing so. Unless he's quite happy giving his money away. If so, then fair play.

If people want to gamble/bet/drink/eat etc, with knowledge of the consequences if they do these things to excess, then I don't see a problem.

I think the argument would go that often people, especially those predicated towards addictions, don't indulge in things like that with full knowledge of the consequences.

With the boxing trainer?

Yep, it's just so cringeworthy and annoying.

Enzo Calzaghe shadow mincing, pulling stupid faces and telling you to "stick one on it" is annoying? Next you'll be saying you don't like the "anything for yow cupcake" guy.

They dub Enzo Calzaghe in that advert don't they? And it's really poorly done too. Whoever it was who said it was cringing is spot on.

Buying/ordering a pie which when you then find is stew with a pastry lid. No! A pie has pastry all round you cheapskates!

• Like 2

You should heat it up, take it back, and throw the scalding mess right in their **** face.

There's a fun bet365 game you can play, watch out for the football highlights from something like soccer am where they show all the goals from the lower leagues and try to spot the bet365 hoarding, 90% on the time there is one, pretty much every advert break on sky sports contains one of their adverts as well, disgusting really and that comes from someone who gambles regularly!

Â