Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I genuinely hate betting companies. I mean, I pretend to hate a lot of things, but I really, really hate betting companies. Absolute scum.

Why?

Drinks companies try to encourage you to drink. I would guess alcoholism is a big / a bigger problen than gambing addiction? They are trying to encourage you to use/buy/consume their products/services.

I genuinely hate betting companies. I mean, I pretend to hate a lot of things, but I really, really hate betting companies. Absolute scum.

Why?

Drinks companies try to encourage you to drink. I would guess alcoholism is a big / a bigger problen than gambing addiction? They are trying to encourage you to use/buy/consume their products/services.

And betting companies don't do the same?

Hey, there's that bet365 ad again.

Edited by legov

Why?

And betting companies don't do the same?

Hey, there's that bet365 ad again.

Think he means why hate one and not the other?

Why?

Because they are ubiquitous and prey on vulnerable people. They don't make money out of casual gamblers who have their wits about them, they make money out of poor sods who piss away any money they have in the hope of making a bit of money. There were some stats about the money these companies take from poor communities out a few weeks back, well into the billions IIRC.

Sickening, horrid, morally bankrupt arseholes IMO.

BTW I ignored the alcohol point because it implies that I don't have a problem with that, which isn't true.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

Why?

Because they are ubiquitous and prey on vulnerable people. They don't make money out of casual gamblers who have their wits about them, they make money out of poor sods who piss away any money they have in the hope of making a bit of money. There were some stats about the money these companies take from poor communities out a few weeks back, well into the billions IIRC.

BTW I ignored the alcohol point because it implies that I don't have a problem with that, which isn't true.

Freedom of choice. Gambling is as old as the hills and now they advertise due to competition, those who are going to gamble will do so regardless. I do agree that there needs to be more regulation, as there is with the advertising of alcohol (sign up deals being a major issue) but you can't knock them for being in the trade.

They give people what the people want. For the vast majority of people who like a flutter, it's a bit of fun. Just like having a drink or seeing a prostitute.

• Like 2

Couple of days back there was a debate on the radio off the back of some new legislation regarding the gaming machines. What I learned and was amazed by is that these machines can take upto £100 every 20seconds off the punter. :-o

The fix based on new legislation? Every 30 minutes the machine will stop for 30 seconds and ask the user if he is happy to proceed. Fantastic.

Why?

Freedom of choice. Gambling is as old as the hills and now they advertise due to competition, those who are going to gamble will do so regardless. I do agree that there needs to be more regulation, as there is with the advertising of alcohol (sign up deals being a major issue) but you can't knock them for being in the trade.

They give people what the people want. For the vast majority of people who like a flutter, it's a bit of fun. Just like having a drink or seeing a prostitute.

'Zackly.

Where does it end.

Smoking advertising has already been banned.

Alcohol next - that can be harmful - advertisers are trying to get people to drink more.

Gambling - see above.

Drinks like Coke/Pepsi - can be VERY bad for the health and teeth, especially when not drunk in moderation.

Junk food? see above

etc, etc.

Couple of days back there was a debate on the radio off the back of some new legislation regarding the gaming machines. What I learned and was amazed by is that these machines can take upto £100 every 20seconds off the punter. :-o

The fix based on new legislation? Every 30 minutes the machine will stop for 30 seconds and ask the user if he is happy to proceed. Fantastic.

The simpler and easier solution would be for the 'idiot' giving his money away to stop doing so. Unless he's quite happy giving his money away. If so, then fair play.

If people want to gamble/bet/drink/eat etc, with knowledge of the consequences if they do these things to excess, then I don't see a problem.

The fixed odds betting terminals are also handy for laundering drug money. Chuck all your cash in, lose on average 30%, but you get a receipt...

I don't agree with leaving vulnerable people to be preyed on by greedy, horrid companies, from whatever industry. If that means regulating advertising, then fine. If it means funding better education, better counseling, so be it. You don't abandon people, be it a minority or otherwise, just because it means taking an active role in society.

BTW I've never argued against freedom of choice, so I don't know where that assumption has come from.

The simpler and easier solution would be for the 'idiot' giving his money away to stop doing so. Unless he's quite happy giving his money away. If so, then fair play.

If people want to gamble/bet/drink/eat etc, with knowledge of the consequences if they do these things to excess, then I don't see a problem.

I think the argument would go that often people, especially those predicated towards addictions, don't indulge in things like that with full knowledge of the consequences.

With the boxing trainer?

The worst offender at the moment. Awful.

Yep, it's just so cringeworthy and annoying.

Enzo Calzaghe shadow mincing, pulling stupid faces and telling you to "stick one on it" is annoying? Next you'll be saying you don't like the "anything for yow cupcake" guy.

Â