Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I have an American friend who I really get along with. Funny, up for a laugh and a really supportive guy.

Trouble is, he's loud. He'll take over a cafe or a bar with his voice and I cringe whenever I glance around to see people looking at us. 

Trouble is, he's loud. He'll take over a cafe or a bar with his voice and I cringe whenever I glance around to see people looking at us. 

This describes 90% of Americans.  Even when they're trying not to be loud their voices just carry.

• Like 1

Shite pub quizzes.  If the answers are "Arsenal" and "Tooting Broadway", then you shouldn't be able to argue the quizmaster into marking "Woolwich Arsenal" and "Broadway" as correct.  They're **** not, you **** plums.  And don't get me started on deducting points for teams of 5 people or more, they paid more into the **** prize pot, why the **** should they get penalized?

Edited by GarethRDR

Reading this about exact correct answers reminds me of a small dust up that occurred during a pub quiz I was in,

The question was "Which film is the tagline 'In space no one can hear you scream' from?"

My team correctly put Alien, but the team we were competing with for the league put Aliens.  It took a good ten minutes before they begrudgingly accepted that Aliens is actually a different film.  Thick ****.

• Like 1

Reading this about exact correct answers reminds me of a small dust up that occurred during a pub quiz I was in,

The question was "Which film is the tagline 'In space no one can hear you scream' from?"

My team correctly put Alien, but the team we were competing with for the league put Aliens.  It took a good ten minutes before they begrudgingly accepted that Aliens is actually a different film.  Thick ****.

This would push me over the edge.

Shite pub quizzes.  If the answers are "Arsenal" and "Tooting Broadway", then you shouldn't be able to argue the quizmaster into marking "Woolwich Arsenal" and "Broadway" as correct.  They're **** not, you **** plums.  And don't get me started on deducting points for teams of 5 people or more, they paid more into the **** prize pot, why the **** should they get penalized?

Is that you Lee?

• Like 1

This would push me over the edge.

that would boil my piss I recon I would start stomping round the pub kicking tables and stuff if that happened to me in a quiz

FU drunken mini bar charges. My bank account is sad now

Did you try the incredulous "Don't you know who I am?!" shtick or are you yet to reach that level of 'fame'?

Edited by GarethRDR

FU drunken mini bar charges. My bank account is sad now

Better hurry up and sell those kiss-and-tell Olympic village stories to the tabloids then. 

I'm sure the VT massive will help you with the proofreading and editing  making them up.  

Edited by mjmooney

People who say 'I'm hungry' then go and buy a chocolate bar

When I say I'm hungry I want a fat roast dinner or something like that, people who eat a chocolate bar are not hungry they are bored

I never really get hungry.  If I am on my own in the house I forget to eat and only remember as i am going to sleep.

Not my favourite thing eating,  wastes an awful lot of time.

People who say 'I'm hungry' then go and buy a chocolate bar

When I say I'm hungry I want a fat roast dinner or something like that, people who eat a chocolate bar are not hungry they are bored

I never really get hungry.  If I am on my own in the house I forget to eat and only remember as i am going to sleep.

Not my favourite thing eating,  wastes an awful lot of time.

I'm basically the opposite.

I don't think I'm exaggerating by saying I think I'm hungry for 95% of my waking hours.

The only time I'm ever not hungry is after a big meal, and I mean a BIG meal that genuinely fills me up. And even then it's for probably about an hour.

I'm never full. Not wanting to be fat is the only thing that stops me from eating. If I didn't care about that I'd be morbidly obese.

Edited by Stevo985

The red tape within my company is **** ridiculous.

Incredibly pissed off at the moment.

This is the kind of shit that makes people leave the company, and then they wonder why good employees are leaving.

All big companies are the same unfortunately. I suffer the same at my place. So frustrating. 

I'll walk you through what's happening with me.

I've been told, for at least the last 12 months, that I'm due a promotion (a minor miracle considering how much time I spend on VT ;) )

In the middle of last year I was told I was good enough, I'd pushed my way into the top of my peer group and I should start applying for jobs a grade above me.

I did this with a job, didn't get it. That's fine.

I was then told that because so many people were applying for promotions at the moment (the internal vacancy thing is actually quite new within FInance here) they had decided to only allow certain people to apply for promotions. 

Fair enough, that should be me, I'm in the top of my peer group, right?

Wrong, they'd decided to base the "list" off the last year end assessment that everyone had done, 8 or 9 months previous in my case. This meant I was just outside "the list".

So that was annoying, means I've had to bide my time. My next year end is due in 6 weeks time.

Now, my supervisor is leaving. He's a grade above me. He said that I should be allowed to do his job as my promotion. We both spoke to HIS boss, who agreed that he wants me to be promoted into that role. He asked HIS boss, and he also agreed. That's everyone between me and 3 grades above me agreeing.

It would still have to be advertised internally and if anyone else applied, they'd have to be considered. If they didn't, the job's mine basically.

Advertised, nobody applied. Happy days right?

Wrong. The comittee here who decide rotations and promotions etc have said that I can't have it because I haven't had my year end assessment so can't go through the process to get promoted (there's an assessment centre thing). Fine, just let me do it early?

No, that's out of process.

So they are now forcing my boss (his words) to take on an external hire. They'll have to pay her more, it's cost more to recruit her, she doesn't want to work down here because she lives in solihull AND she has a 3 month notice period so won't be able to start until June at the earliest. By which time I'd have done my year end assessment, and my next up assessment to get promoted. Not to mention she'd be coming into the company and starting from scratch, and this job has a LOT of technical knowledge in it so it'll take her months to get up to speed, yet she's supposed to be supervising me. Whereas I know it all now and can do the job now. But I still can't have the job.

So the candidate doesn't want the job, her predecessor doesn't want her to get the job, her new boss doesn't want her to have the job, and everyone wants me to have the job.

But because it's out of process by a month or 2, according to people who don't know anything about the job, I can't have it!

And to top it off, they've asked me to do it, for nothing, for the 3 months until she's hired.

YOU

tl;dr my company is run by words removed.

What kind of company is this? Wanting to give people promotions (without giving them) for being on Villatalk? Can I apply?

Â