Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Huh? Possibly way OT - but as English isn't my first language, please bear with me - I'd love to better my English... Now, I may be the idiot here, but surely this is passive voice? I would say "a company run by an idiot" (he is still running it to this day) or "a company ran by an idiot" (he was, but thankfully, he's been fired). Am I wrong?
I knew 'ran' didn't look right in that context and after a quick search as to why (and to make sure I didn't look a fool!) now I know. The passive voice in English uses the past participle, not the simple past. In other words 'the company run by an idiot'. But even though that's grammatically correct, it is ambiguous because it's the same sentence whether he's still there or not so I'd say 'the company that used to be run by an idiot'.
Ah, thank you. :-) Yes, I know that the passive voice uses the past participle. So: 'run' in either case (past or present), as 'ran' is simple past. Probably some Americanism or straight-out Norwenglish I'll have to forget. I've been working with several born-and-bred Brits in the past, though, that would just use the simple past and skip the auxiliary verb. (Edit - damn Norwegian spellchecker on the Galaxy wreaking havoc) Edited by TB

You want to pick on TB? Then pick on Willie!

923462_439998709422939_897829124_n.png

Hey, I don't mind anyone picking on me (this is just an online forum - right?) But I'd very much appreciate any feedback on my spelling, grammar and any mis-use of colloquialisms... I've worked in the UK in the past, but that was some time ago...

Christmas time is here by golly

Disapproval would be folly

Deck the halls with hunks of holly

Fill the cup and don't say when

Kill the turkeys, ducks, and chickens

Mix the punch, drag out the Dickens

Even though the prospect sickens

Brother, here we go again

On Christmas Day you can't be sore

Your fellow man you must adore

There's time to rob him all the more

The other three hundred and sixty-four

Relations sparing no expense'll

Send some useless old utensil

Or a matching pen and pencil

Just the thing I need, how nice

It doesn't matter how sincere it is

Nor how heartfelt the spirit

Sentiment will not endear it

What's important is the price

Hark the Herald-Tribune sings

Advertising wondrous things

God rest ye merry merchants

May ye make the yuletide pay

Angels we have heard on high

Tell us to go out and buy

So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle

Hail our dear old friend Kris Kringle

Driving his reindeer across the sky

Don't stand underneath when they fly by...

I wonder do Tegis & Pelle call it Christmas snow or just snow?

I call it imaginary snow.

You come from that part of the world where snow exists only in fairytales and possibly on the tops of mountains :D

:)

Edit: Even Canberra doesn't get any snow, it's ridiculously dry during the winter.

(no 91, Sydney's too warm for snow. So unless you're suggesting I move to the Snowy Bloody Mountains...even then, I won't get snow during Christmas)

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

I thought the colder countries had (relatively) lower cost of heating out of necessity. I know it's relative peanuts in Canada for example. Although it doesn't surprise me that Scandinavia would be a bit dear for something :D

Edit

Guthega, New South Wales

Guthega_ski_resort.jpg

Yeah, I ain't living there mate :)

For some reason I always thought Canberra was in the West..

The capital was built in New South Wales, but is itself an administrative territory, completely separate (apart from one suburb) from the state of NSW.

Edited by legov

Â