Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

People eating on the street.

Fish & chips at the seaside, perhaps can be tolerated.

Sick of seeing fat people with Greggs pasties, walking on high streets.

We really have lost a lot of manners with food in this country

Since when was walking down the street eating something classed as bad manners? There's an awful lot of bad mannered people who go to football matches eating stuff on the way to the ground,

I've never once considered eating and walking to be bad manners

It does however fit into the rare category of a post that actually does do what the thread title says :mrgreen:

Since when was walking down the street eating something classed as bad manners? There's an awful lot of bad mannered people who go to football matches eating stuff on the way to the ground,

It does however fit into the rare category of a post that actually does do what the thread title says :mrgreen:

I was brought up with the Debretts book :D

reading my son his bedtime story tonight .. was about a cat who somehow gets lost and wants to go home ... to France ..Grrrr , anyway i digress that wasn't the reason for posting ....

anyway towards the end of the book and the cat is on the final leg , sadly and in an unexpected twist she's been spotted by a sailor who proceeds to chase the cat (Suzy) around the ferry ....which prompted me to do a little rendition of the Benny Hill chase music

looked down to see the boy looking up at me with that sad look in his eye like I'm some form of retard and he said " can you just read the story please"

not yet 8 and I'm already an embarrassment to my son :oops:

• Like 1

I watched a documentary a few months ago called "The Men who Made us Fat"

They had a big section on how eating culture has changed over the years.

One bit was saying how eating in the street 20-30 years ago absolutely would have been considered bad manners. Eating was something done at home at the dinner table and eating in the street, or even snacking between meals in general, wasn't really the done thing. IF you ate a burger in the street you'd be looked at funny.

Obviously times change, and I wasn't alive so I can't say how accurate the documentary was.

A while back in this thread I complained about people using the word "one" instead of "won".

Someone replied and didn't believe that anyone would do that, so i said I'd quote it next time I saw it happen.

So here you go

I think I told almost everyone at work that we'd one [vs Man City]

Sorry, Pelle ;)

• Like 1

One bit was saying how eating in the street 20-30 years ago absolutely would have been considered bad manners. Eating was something done at home at the dinner table and eating in the street, or even snacking between meals in general, wasn't really the done thing. IF you ate a burger in the street you'd be looked at funny.

Obviously times change, and I wasn't alive so I can't say how accurate the documentary was.

30 years ago I'd have happily eaten a chilli kebab or a bag of chips in the street. The fact that those outlets existed suggests others were also happy to eat in the street.

...pay packet'has dropped another £26 this week. I foresee a phonecall to the tax man.

Have you worked out what it ought to be?

I'm not sure to be honest - I don't think I've ever been paid quite the amount I was told I was going to be, but it was enough that I wasn't too bothered. Even when it first dropped (following the phonecall saying they needed to change some details on the contract, 'you won't notice a thing') I was still happy with what I was getting paid.

Last week the drop was down to a pretty inexplicable hike in tax - I fairly sure I've not come close to the tax threshold for earnings this year. I was made redundant at the end of the last financial year, and only picked up this job in July, and I've not been paid enough to go over into tax paying in that time. I've also been paying student loan repayments despite that also not coming near the threshold for repayment. But even if you were to say I had earnt enough for tax to start being taken, that wouldn't explain the jump this year.

I'm waiting on my e-payslip to turn up - if it is tax going out again I'm on the phone - I'm not quite in the position to let what it is £66 now slide!

30 years ago I'd have happily eaten a chilli kebab or a bag of chips in the street. The fact that those outlets existed suggests others were also happy to eat in the street.

Yep I'd suggest that anyone who claims that eating in the streets 20 or 30 years ago was considered bad manners is talking nonsense.

Not really "shouldn't" as it blatantly "should". But a loser of a "boyfriend" upsetting my baby sister. Thankfully she's seen sense and got rid. Now he's sending her txt messages full of abuse. I've said block his number. He's a complete tool (no job, leeches off of others and complains about anything - even though she's been supporting him throughout). If only I lived in Birmingham :angry:

...pay packet'has dropped another £26 this week. I foresee a phonecall to the tax man.

Have you worked out what it ought to be?

I'm not sure to be honest - I don't think I've ever been paid quite the amount I was told I was going to be, but it was enough that I wasn't too bothered. Even when it first dropped (following the phonecall saying they needed to change some details on the contract, 'you won't notice a thing') I was still happy with what I was getting paid.

Last week the drop was down to a pretty inexplicable hike in tax - I fairly sure I've not come close to the tax threshold for earnings this year. I was made redundant at the end of the last financial year, and only picked up this job in July, and I've not been paid enough to go over into tax paying in that time. I've also been paying student loan repayments despite that also not coming near the threshold for repayment. But even if you were to say I had earnt enough for tax to start being taken, that wouldn't explain the jump this year.

I'm waiting on my e-payslip to turn up - if it is tax going out again I'm on the phone - I'm not quite in the position to let what it is £66 now slide!

There may be a timing issue with regards to the tax but you seem to have been working for them for enough time for that to have been taken account of.

You should be able to see from your payslip what your situation is regarding tax, NI, repayments and so forth.

If you're having different amounts taken in income tax and they're still changing then it may well be that it isn't right. Unfortunately, I don't think the tax office can help as it's probably the duty of your payroll dept to ensure that the right payments are being made during the current financial year. It's only really up to HMRC to inform your PAYE fellows of the right tax code (which they often don't do) and sort out subsequent issues post year end.

When I started working at weekends aged 16, I got a bike for the ~5 mile journey along a main road. My mum insisted I wore a helmet and, being young, I laughed it off. I told her that I cycled through the woods anyway, which I did sometimes, but usually used the roads because it was quicker, and much less muddy when it was raining - when the roads are of course even more dangerous. One day, after at least a year or so, my chain got stuck on a mini roundabout around a mile from home - one which basically acts as a crossroad for two main roads and cars speed through - and I came off. Thankfully there was only a van crossing at the time, and the driver stopped to check I was alright, and at the time I felt more embarrassed than anything and just wanted to get away. I got home, and later went to hospital to find I'd broken my elbow. I was lucky it was just that, though, and didn't go out on the road again afterwards! If I did, I'd certainly get a decent helmet.

I suspect you mean on roads rather than parents that kit their kids up in helmets , elbow pads , knee pads etc just to cycle for 2 mins at their local park and teach little Johnny to cycle ?
Yeah, main roads and the one-way system around the busy town centre for example. Johnny's brief lap of the duck pond shouldn't necessitate wrapping in cotton wool.

Â