theunderstudy

Things that piss you off that shouldn't

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Just to make clear, I wasn't on Broad Street. Would never go out there.

I was in Sutton :) 

Where on earth was there a hip hop night in Sutton?! :)  I'm trying to think of somewhere...

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Where on earth was there a hip hop night in Sutton?! :)  I'm trying to think of somewhere...

They won't let you in. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

It was at the Royal Hotel. It was alright. First time I've been in there when it wasn't dead.

I didn't go for the music, was out with friends and it was the only place that seemed to be open after 11!

• Like 1

Nancy Pelosi,  a poor man's Hyacinth Bucket who I am pretty sure is mentally unwell.

I can't stand anything about her. 

I apologise if this is too 'On Topic', but it does piss me off and I deliberately don't want to put it in the post-match thread, but . . . 

I was sat next to a family at the game today. There seemed to be three generations there, the youngest being pretty small kids. The dad was steaming drunk, and spent the entire game yelling at full volume an endless series of anti-Welsh slurs, focused monotonously on the allegation that Welsh people have sex with sheep. This was endless, and at constantly screamed.

I remember @chrisp65 - and where is he by they way? - saying before that anti-Welsh bigotry appears to be common and voiced regularly by people who wouldn't dare say the same things about other groups, but really the hate was every bit as a strong as if he'd been throwing a banana on the pitch. Although frankly I'm not sure this guy was so reticent, since he also loudly yelled at El Ghazi to '**** off back to Egypt or wherever you're from' as well. 

I know that some people are going to say 'this is just a part of English football culture' or some shit, and imply that I'm a hopeless middle-class flaneur for being disgusted at a man yelling about having sex with animals in front of his children, but that's all just bullshit really. 

I left in disgust after 70 minutes. The disgust was as much as anything targeted at myself for being too pussy to call him for it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I apologise if this is too 'On Topic', but it does piss me off and I deliberately don't want to put it in the post-match thread, but . . . 

I was sat next to a family at the game today. There seemed to be three generations there, the youngest being pretty small kids. The dad was steaming drunk, and spent the entire game yelling at full volume an endless series of anti-Welsh slurs, focused monotonously on the allegation that Welsh people have sex with sheep. This was endless, and at constantly screamed.

I remember @chrisp65 - and where is he by they way? - saying before that anti-Welsh bigotry appears to be common and voiced regularly by people who wouldn't dare say the same things about other groups, but really the hate was every bit as a strong as if he'd been throwing a banana on the pitch. Although frankly I'm not sure this guy was so reticent, since he also loudly yelled at El Ghazi to '**** off back to Egypt or wherever you're from' as well. 

I know that some people are going to say 'this is just a part of English football culture' or some shit, and imply that I'm a hopeless middle-class flaneur for being disgusted at a man yelling about having sex with animals in front of his children, but that's all just bullshit really. 

I left in disgust after 70 minutes. The disgust was as much as anything targeted at myself for being too pussy to call him for it. 

I'd be interested to know if the family you refer to were the same family I encountered outside the ground, with dad talking racist shit in front of his kids as they were walking the other side of the fence from the Swansea buses. He clearly had a problem with Welsh, and for some unknown reason with Scots also.

Couldn't help but make a point of laughing directly at him. I think he was too thick to spot my accent or notice the eye contact when I loudly announced some people are ignorant but sadly still capable of breeding. Then again, perhaps he just restrained himself until he got home and then hit the missus.

I'm a placid, casual type. But I have a tendency to get assertive when I encounter that kind of crap (and think I have a fighting chance). 

For the record, regarding football, I thought today might have been the most abject display I've ever witnessed by any team. 

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'd be interested to know if the family you refer to were the same family I encountered outside the ground, with dad talking racist shit in front of his kids as they were walking the other side of the fence from the Swansea buses. He clearly had a problem with Welsh, and for some unknown reason with Scots also.

Couldn't help but make a point of laughing directly at him. I think he was too thick to spot my accent or notice the eye contact when I loudly announced some people are ignorant but sadly still capable of breeding. Then again, perhaps he just restrained himself until he got home and then hit the missus.

I'm a placid, casual type. But I have a tendency to get assertive when I encounter that kind of crap (and think I have a fighting chance). 

For the record, regarding football, I thought today might have been the most abject display I've ever witnessed by any team. 

Frankly I hope it was the same family, because otherwise it means there are two ignorant dads subjecting their kids to their pointless bigotry. Might even be as well, given I was sat in the Upper Trinity. 

I wish I had been assertive. In truth, I partly chickened out because his wife was sat between the two of us, and I felt embarrassed for her and didn't want to embarrass her any further, but I also just chickened out. 

I completely agree with you about the standard of football on display. It was absolutely pathetic. 

In fact, between the football and the bigotry, and also the fact that the part of the Trinity where I was sat actually stank of human excrement, it was a really pretty shit afternoon. 

I can't remember the last time I went to a game and didn't hear disgusting homophobic or racist comments. I presume it's similar at all clubs, but there's a lot of scum in the crowd. 

Nah, it's not chickening out @HanoiVillan it's knowing when's the wrong time to engage with a moron. Generally, you're family being present makes it the wrong time if you're not confident it won't escalate out of control.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't remember the last time I went to a game and didn't hear disgusting homophobic or racist comments. I presume it's similar at all clubs, but there's a lot of scum in the crowd. 

I'm normally in the Upper Doug and it's pretty sedate in there. I genuinely haven't heard anything like this before. The guy was relentless

19 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Nancy Pelosi,  a poor man's Hyacinth Bucket who I am pretty sure is mentally unwell.

I can't stand anything about her. 

If she goes in any small way in keeping a mad man in check I will take it. 

• Like 1

It is a sad reality of football (not just Villa) that you get morons in the crowd.

@HanoiVillan I think you made the correct decision not to say something. IMO it is not worth the agro and a large % of those dishing out these comments will not change their view regardless of what you say.

• Like 1

It's no consolation if you're sitting next to them, but tbf, in a crowd of 30,000-odd they're a small minority. 

I assume that a Swansea crowd would have a few fans giving out similar abuse about the English. 

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Nah, it's not chickening out @HanoiVillan it's knowing when's the wrong time to engage with a moron. Generally, you're family being present makes it the wrong time if you're not confident it won't escalate out of control.

Reminds me of the poor guy on the train last week stabbed in front of his 14 year old son. I’ve no idea on the circumstance but could easily have been a scenario of confronting some prick that cost him his life. Just have to walk away sadly.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Reminds me of the poor guy on the train last week stabbed in front of his 14 year old son. I’ve no idea on the circumstance but could easily have been a scenario of confronting some prick that cost him his life. Just have to walk away sadly.

That's what I was thinking. Far too many scumbags tooled up now. I keep my head down. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They're not breaking any rules, but opposition fans in on topic.

I can't imagine being arrogant enough to presume that fans of another club that have congregated on a site specifically to talk among themselves would give a **** about my opinion. 

It's one of the reasons there is an ignore function.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's one of the reasons there is an ignore function.

But then sometimes people reply to them and I feel left out. :blush:

• Haha 2