Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Me: "Hi, where are we off to then?"

Punter: "L13 7HW"

I absolutely loathe postcodes for this precise reason, even the postie needs the actual address too!

Different fare (The very next one as it happens), it's 9:30

Me: "Hi, where are we off to then?"

Female Punter: Anfield by the ground

It's only ever women that do this, blokes have more sense

Two idiots on the bounce sent me home an hour early :bang:

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

You know when people say PIN number, when they shouldn't because that's Personal Identification Number number?

We have one of those for a process I do at work daily.

Imagine if a few times a day somebody asked if you support AVFC Football Club?

I agonised over something similar the other week , I had to send an email to our service company about some portable appliance testing (PAT)

every insticnt told me not to title the email PAT testing , but PAT looked silly and buggered if I was going to type it out long hand , so I put PAT testing and became one of “those” people , come the revolution I shall by putting myself first up agaisnt the wall 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Me: "Hi, where are we off to then?"

Punter: "L13 7HW"

I absolutely loathe postcodes for this precise reason, even the postie needs the actual address too!

Different fare (The very next one as it happens), it's 9:30

Me: "Hi, where are we off to then?"

Female Punter: Anfield by the ground

It's only ever women that do this, blokes have more sense

Two idiots on the bounce sent me home an hour early :bang:

I reckon I must have annoyed plenty of Taxi Drivers in my time, I don't get what's wrong with either of these. :wacko:

57 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I reckon I must have annoyed plenty of Taxi Drivers in my time, I don't get what's wrong with either of these. :wacko:

put your postcode and only your postcode on a letter and see if it gets to you. Postcodes also involve me actually looking something up. tell me the name of the road and generally, I'll get you there without the need to consult a map, If I don't know it, I generally only need to ask one more question.

The Anfield one, is to do with the time last night. End of match, road closed and completely puts me in the middle of hell at completely the wrong time

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

tell me the name of the road and generally, I'll get you there without the need to consult a map, If I don't know it, I generally only need to ask one more question.

Then you are the exception.

Excluding major points like the airport or a station, I genuinely cannot remember the last time I got in a taxi, told them where I was going, and they had even the foggiest idea where that was.

I'm like @Paddywhack, they get a postcode and then when we get there I point out the exact house. Although I always ask "Can I give you a postcode?" first.

And don't even get me started on taxi drivers asking me directions. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

And don't even get me started on taxi drivers asking me directions. 

And don't even get me started on punters thinking they know the shortest route :mrgreen: I make plenty of extra money because they don't and insist they are right even when I gently suggest they are wrong

Just now, bickster said:

And don't even get me started on punters thinking they know the shortest route :mrgreen: I make plenty of extra money because they don't and insist they are right even when I gently suggest they are wrong

I rarely care about my route.

The taxi driver should know the route. Don't ask me the way. That's your job. You have sat nav.

I really only give a postcode if I’m asked for one. As an estimate, I’d say that’s maybe 10% of the time, maybe less.

If I’m booking a taxi in advance, I’ll try and have the postcode ready in case I’m asked, but normally I say “it’s by local point of interest X”.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I rarely care about my route.

The taxi driver should know the route. Don't ask me the way. That's your job. You have sat nav.

You should care about your route, your route determines the price you pay

Sat Nav's are actually particularly shit for the shortest route but we've discussed this before so I'll leave it there

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

You should care about your route, your route determines the price you pay

If I care then I can tell the driver the way.

My point is when I get in a taxi and it goes something like:

"Hi. Can you take me to 123 Avenue Road?"

"Where's that?"

"It's in Townsville"

"Oh ok. Is that left out of here?"

"I don't **** know! That's literally your job!"

That's why I always give the postcode now. It forces them to use their sat nav.

Edited by Stevo985

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

put your postcode and only your postcode on a letter and see if it gets to you. Postcodes also involve me actually looking something up. tell me the name of the road and generally, I'll get you there without the need to consult a map, If I don't know it, I generally only need to ask one more question.

The Anfield one, is to do with the time last night. End of match, road closed and completely puts me in the middle of hell at completely the wrong time

Ah forgot Liverpool were playing.

Fair enough. I was only confused about the postcode one because every taxi I've been in in the last 10 years, the driver has asked for the postcode of where I'm going to put in their sat nav, but I see what you mean now.

Just now, Paddywhack said:

Fair enough. I was only confused about the postcode one because every taxi I've been in in the last 10 years, the driver has asked for the postcode of where I'm going to put in their sat nav, but I see what you mean now.

look there is nothing really wrong postcodes but to my mind it's like going for the least effective and least efficient method of getting to where you want to go without first exploring the better options. Talking like a human and not a machine has to be better

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Oh its generally a con because the sat nav as previously stated is shit at shortest route, they do it because it bumps the fare up

Buying Christmas presents last few days and bought a remote control car for one of kids , after inspecting it after I got it home I realised it comes without a remote 🤨 , turns out that it must be controlled with a smart phone  , for McGrath sake anyone old enough to have a smart phone should be a little old to be playing with a child's remote controlled car , what has the world come to 😖

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pete101 said:

Buying Christmas presents last few days and bought a remote control car for one of kids , after inspecting it after I got it home I realised it comes without a remote 🤨 , turns out that it must be controlled with a smart phone  , for McGrath sake anyone old enough to have a smart phone should be a little old to be playing with a child's remote controlled car , what has the world come to 😖

What the actual f***?

Invest in a Tamiya, you will have more fun. ;)

On 11/12/2018 at 18:45, Rodders said:

Think 1991/2 or was the first one for us, when I got the Sega Master System II with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in, and Sonic with it. Good times.

Was possibly the same for me (if not year before), along with World cup Italia 90.

Â