Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I'm already getting annoyed at the pile of receipts piling up on the kitchen table from the Christmas shopping I've done so far. Not for the expense, not for the faff of having to remember everyone I need to buy for - just for the fact that if previous years are anything to go by, I'll end up having to return several of the items as they don't fit or they've got one already or they prefer it in brown*. 

When did it become acceptable to receive a gift and then expect the giver to send it back, obtain a replacement and then re-deliver it to the recipient?

(* And no, I'm not buying dildos for everyone in my family)

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

When did it become acceptable to receive a gift and then expect the giver to send it back, obtain a replacement and then re-deliver it to the recipient?

When retailers started insisting that they would only reimburse people if the original transaction card is present and available

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

When retailers started insisting that they would only reimburse people if the original transaction card is present and available

I've no doubt that's correct but I guess it misses my point. 

Someone gives you a rubbish present, you smile, say thanks and take it down the charity shop a few days later. That's just the rules, isn't it? Who in their right mind thinks I care enough to send it back to amazon, re-order another one and then hand-deliver it to the recipient?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

I've no doubt that's correct but I guess it misses my point. 

Someone gives you a rubbish present, you smile, say thanks and take it down the charity shop a few days later. That's just the rules, isn't it? Who in their right mind thinks I care enough to send it back to amazon, re-order another one and then hand-deliver it to the recipient?

You really are asking the wrong person, I solved this many years ago... I don't buy any :mrgreen:

Cash in a card for all the youngsters, niece and nephew etc.

I wouldn't have a clue as to what to buy them and they're glad of the cash. Saves the embarrassment of saying "oh thanks uncle John!" when they open their car care kit from Halfords that I got last year.

I was in the pub with a mate last week, and he despairingly asked me what I was buying for my missus, as he (as every Xmas) had no idea what to get his. 

Which was a bit of a pisser, because I was about to ask him the same thing. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was in the pub with a mate last week, and he despairingly asked me what I was buying for my missus, as he (as every Xmas) had no idea what to get his. 

Foot spa, talc and a nice little sparkly something from Elizabeth Duke, right?

My old man swore by it.

Well, until that one Christmas we don't talk about.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

reminds me of when i worked in GAME 16/17 years a go maybe, bloke comes in wants a refund, got the receipt got the game in perfect condition, paid for by card, sorry mate we cant give a cash refund because of card payment some guff about fraud blah blah blah he came back about 3 hours later card in hand can he now please have a refund...the card was in his wifes name :lol: he had walked home and got the card off his wife, walked back down and thought he would get a refund, the whole concept was completely lost on him, he went mental, could he speak to my boss, could he use our phone to talk to customer services, could he talk to the local MP, it was brilliant 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I’m really happy with what I’ve got my missus. It’s her bday two days after as well. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve got a Santa app on my phone. And I’ve got his name saved on my phone book for extra strength to make my kids behave. My kids honestly believe I talk to Santa on my app. 

Why do you legitimise lying in such impressionable young minds that you care about?

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Why do you legitimise lying in such impressionable young minds that you care about?

Stop being so dry. Because I want them to believe in Santa like I did. What’s so bad in that? When they get older they soon realise, but it’s great being a kid at Christmas. 

36 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Stop being so dry. Because I want them to believe in Santa like I did. What’s so bad in that? When they get older they soon realise, but it’s great being a kid at Christmas. 

whilst i agree we had none of this stuff when we were kids and yet still buzzed our tits off every christmas, no apps, no elf on the shelf, didnt even have the nibbled at carrot in the back garden thats a good idea and popular now, we just had the walk home from my grans house on xmas eve looking for him in the sky and an eaten mince pie

might be a generational thing where kids now are a bit more savvy or because of technology parents feel like they have to try harder to make the whole thing work but i love christmas and had nothing like today

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

whilst i agree we had none of this stuff when we were kids and yet still buzzed our tits off every christmas, no apps, no elf on the shelf, didnt even have the nibbled at carrot in the back garden thats a good idea and popular now, we just had the walk home from my grans house on xmas eve looking for him in the sky and an eaten mince pie

might be a generational thing where kids now are a bit more savvy or because of technology parents feel like they have to try harder to make the whole thing work but i love christmas and had nothing like today

Yeah I get what you mean, but isn’t it the same with everything now? Everything is evolving and in another generations time who knows what it will be like. I just don’t see the problem with kids believing in Santa, or even the tooth fairy. 

Â